Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I checked the calendar to see if it was 1st april:D..
Find it hard to believe. .
Andy.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
With American road grid layouts it might well work. Because our road system is a about 2000 years older than America's and not quite so symetrrical it might not work so well here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
With American road grid layouts it might well work. Because our road system is a about 2000 years older than America's and not quite so symetrrical it might not work so well here.
Plus we drive on the right side of the road. :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the mythbusters actually tried this out scientifically and it worked. a much smoother journey and faster.

over here it would need all left turns

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
As an ex delivery driver I always tried not to turn right, maybe I should have patented the idea. Also we were taught to reverse to your drop (if needed), so after your delivery you can simply drive away without fear of some child behind you.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As an ex delivery driver I always tried not to turn right, maybe I should have patented the idea. Also we were taught to reverse to your drop (if needed), so after your delivery you can simply drive away without fear of some child behind you.
Glad im not alone.
I too have a natural aversion to turning right, and don't even know why, other than living in a busy area turning right across the traffic often takes an age for me, it just seems logical to keep moving,
Now whenever im out with my Son Steve, he takes as many right turns as he can cram into a journey and gets out at every junction immediately :doh:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If I'm driving locally at a busy time (where I know the road system) then I certainly do this at certain junctions and 2-or-3-lane roundabouts.
It's unavoidable when turning onto most dual carriageways and all motorways; no reason it couldn't be extended.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Years ago I bought a BSA Bantam from a dealer in Leeds. I had never ridden a bike with a clutch and I had to ride it home through Leeds traffic. I carefully worked out a route home which only used left hand turns. It was about 3 times longer than a direct route but the best way I could think of to get used to the bike.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My sat nav seems to favour left turns, or roundabouts when in camper mode, whereas in car mode, it simply goes for the quickest route. I feel a small demonstration video coming on! :D

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Years ago I bought a BSA Bantam from a dealer in Leeds. I had never ridden a bike with a clutch and I had to ride it home through Leeds traffic. I carefully worked out a route home which only used left hand turns. It was about 3 times longer than a direct route but the best way I could think of to get used to the bike.
Turning right on a motorbike, especially in the old days when there wasn't many central reservations (if that's what they're called) was always dangerous and I tried to avoid at all costs, still do today by trying to time it so you are not sitting stationary in the middle of the road.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its perfectly true. There is enough information on the net to confirm it. I just wish I had been the highly paid consultant that thought this one up.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I often turn left in preference to a right turn, and try only to make right turns at traffic lights where the delay period is ONLY the duration of the lights and not at the mercy of oncoming traffic. I thought everyone did?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back