jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A thing to remember is to make sure that your proof that the axles and the vehicle are suitable to take the new weight is kept safely. If you had an accident and don't have the proof you could be in trouble. SVTech give you a certificate approving the new plated weight.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
SVTech give you a certificate approving the new plated weight.
As did DVSA Jez, in the form of a Vehicle Design Weight Certificate, which I copied, laminated, and display on a bulkhead just inside the driver's door, for traffic enforcement officers to view at any time. ;)

I also have the GOLDSCHMITT engineers report, which (DVSA accepted) and Hymer AG used as a reference, before issuing me with a new converters plate. I paid extra for these two items.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I got My V5c back first time and it was all correct.
I asked for 3 alterations.
1. weight up from 4500 to 5000kg,
2. Seating capacity up from 2 to 6,
3. Axles up from 2 to 3.

I sent the SVtech certificate to upgrade the weight.
I sent a photo showing that it has 3 axles not 2
I sent a photocopy of the seating plan from my Frankia instruction pack

DVLA/VOSA got it all correct first time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just send an email to Hymer Germany , they will tell you if it can be updated or not and they're cheaper than SVtec.
I had mine done with
Lisa Hummel
kundendienst@hymer

Hi Manic, do you have an email address for this person as I would be interested in going down this route as well.

Many thanks
Peter

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi Manic, do you have an email address for this person as I would be interested in going down this route as well.

Many thanks
Peter
If you're referring to the person at Hymer he has missed off the .com. Otherwise it's correct.

kundendienst@hymer.com

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Never the same since the local offices went. Sad but DVLA(or at least one head of department) wanted to make everything e-enabled and, of course the Agency was always in the firing line to cut costs!

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all. I sent an email to them and have received a receipt acknowledgement.

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have now received confirmation from Hymer that I can upgrade to 3850 kgs and they can send me the new plate and relevant paperwork. Do I then have to send this paperwork to the DVLA or can I rely on the new plate to make me legal?

Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have now received confirmation from Hymer that I can upgrade to 3850 kgs and they can send me the new plate and relevant paperwork. Do I then have to send this paperwork to the DVLA or can I rely on the new plate to make me legal?

Thanks
You need to get the V5 updated, you need to send your old V5 together with relevant paperwork to DVLA.
Be prepared for DVLA to get it wrong, they usually change the revenue weight but leave the mass weight unchanged. Took me over 4 months to get a correct V5 last year.
I would advise enclosing a covering letter stating you require both line [y] Revenue weight & line F.1 Max. permissible mass changing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Thanks
Just check how much they are going to charge you for the plate as you don't NEED to get one from them, just the paperwork itself to send to the DVLA as Lenny has said. You need to complete the bottom sections of page 2 of the V5C (changes to vehicle etc) then send the documentation they require but only send COPIES not the original, also it's a good idea to take a copy of your V5C before you send it so you have a copy just in case you need to refer to it in the meantime.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So many of these threads, it leads me onto my pet rant. :D
MH manufacturers seem to be so desperate to get the MH under 3500kg by using poor quality fittings, and ending up with an impractically small payload. I appreciate people need a sub 3500 offering, but there doesn't seem to be the choice any more in the 3500-7500 bracket now. I looked at the new vans at the Newbury show, and with only one or two exceptions (there was a beautiful Hymer there), I was totally underwhelmed by the vans.

I recently uprated mine (3500 to 3850)kg. Using JR consultancy. cost about £90. All done and dusted in about 3-4 weeks. I TOTALLY agree that the STUPID regulations ref "motor-homes" is out of all proportion. What there needs to be is a Separate Classification with a Weight limit of (say) 4 to 4.5t, and the B1/B1E licence being upgraded to suit. The Payload of the majority "under 3.5t" Motor-homes is close to being IMV "Not fit for purpose". My suspicion being that it has a more to do with "EU harmonisation" than common sense!.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Trying to reach JR Consultancy, not an easy process I have found.
This is what I posted on another thread the other day after I emailed John regarding getting in touch with him and this is the reply I got:

Hello Mel ,

I am very sorry you have had difficulty in contacting me but I do operate from two sites, one at Bury st. Edmunds in Suffolk and the other at Buckley, Flintshire N Wales where we have another house. We usually spend about four weeks at each address and currently I am in N Wales. I try to explain this to people but obviously not enough and I would be glad if could let everyone know how they can contact me . As you already know my Email address is truckcon@outlook.com my telephone number in Suffolk is 01359 250808 and my number in Wales is 01244 544598 if you are unlucky in reaching me on one number, try the other. Again my apologies but just spread the news !

Best Regards,

John Ruffles

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Be prepared for DVLA to get it wrong, they usually change the revenue weight but leave the mass weight unchanged.
In my case, they recorded the uprated weight, but then dropped an axle off the wheelplan/body type.............as you would. :doh:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A NOTE FOR ALL UP-PLATING FROM PLG TO PHGV

You must fill in an additional form to avoid a delay or return of paperwork. The form is a V70 Application to change vehicle tax. You don't send a cheque. Then you will receive a refund shortly after you get your new V5.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I had my Rapido uprated by JR consultants (email- John Ruffles <truckcon@outlook.com>) from 3850Kg to 3970Kg could have gone up to 4250 Kg if I had fitted air suspension, but decided the extra 120Kg would do for the moment it cost me about £120. It all went through OK apart from The DLVA said it would take a standard 8 weeks for the new V5 which meant I had to travel abroad without the real V5 so took the copy I had (no Probs). V5 was waiting for me on my return foe Hols.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Payload was one of the first thing i looked for when i bought my van. Was parked next to a chap with a brand new van who was surprised and not happy that he couldn't even put what he had in his old van into his new one without being overweight . That was at a fun rally .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back