Uprating Vehicle - Has Anyone Done It Themselves (not Via Svtech) (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're considering uprating our new camper from 3500kg to 4250kg as it's on the Fiat Ducato Maxi heavy duty chassis so appears to be able to have this done as a purely paper exercise however I'm getting the run around from VOSA/DVLA etc as to exactly how to do it - we don't want to go to the expense of using SVTech at around £300 especially with the extra costs we've incurred with our van for the alarm and awning!

Once we've finished fettling and packing it we'll take it to a weighbridge anyway but should still be under 3500kg but are considering whether or not to do the uprating anyway just in case we find some 'goodies' to bring back off holiday ... as you do!

I pretty much know the pros and cons of changing the weight (speed limits, tax etc) but it would be great to hear from someone who's actually done the change themselves and exactly what they had to do.

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I tried and better tried as I had the original manufacturers certificate stating a 4 tonne weight. But just kept coming up blank so in the end reluctantly had to use SVtech which then sailed through.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You will need a new weight plate, with date, and associated paperwork, to send to DVLA so they can change your taxation class and weight. The new weight plate should be displayed alongside the old one.
You also need to ensure the chassis is suitable to be uprated without modification and I don't think DVLA will accept a non professional opinion. Then you will need to inform your insurance company. Mine wanted to know who had done the upgrade, I'm pretty sure my insurance would have been invalid if I said that I had done it myself.
But, of course, it may be possible, there just might be a lot of hoops to jump through first.
With SVTech, it straightforward and £312 well spent.
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
With SVTech you are paying for the information to be presented in a way that the DVLA accept, as much the information itself. Also part of the package they provide is a document detailing how the person making the declaration is qualified to do so. Unless you're similarly qualified this bit will be an issue for a DIY uprate. Just saying it's a maxi chassis so Fiat say it's good for 4250 isn't good enough. There is a lot of supporting design data on the paperwork you get from SVTech.
IMHO it's worth £312 just for convenience. You're right in that it is just a paper exercise but there's a lot more to it than just writing to them.

It's funny how some insurance companies differ. I rang mine just to check and they weren't in the least bit interested. They didn't know what it was plated at before and they didn't want to know what it's plated at now. According to them it's not relevant to the insurance and doesn't count as a mod.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would start by visiting a local VOSA office... They can't fob you off face to face. When I have dealt with them previously ( importing vehicle from outside EU) they were good to deal with.

Bring your COC etc.....

Personally even if I could I wouldn't! To many restrictions in Europe. You can drop water when going shopping on a return leg of trip. Also your limiting resale market.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I would start by visiting a local VOSA office... They can't fob you off face to face. When I have dealt with them previously ( importing vehicle from outside EU) they were good to deal with.

Bring your COC etc.....

There are no local VOSA Offices anymore

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The declared weights for our van are:

MTPLM = 3500kg
Front axle = 2100kg
Rear axle = 2400kg
MTW = 6000kg

The axles therefore are more than adequate for the uprate to 4250kg (yes I know they are always greater than the MTPLM!) and as this is the standard heavy duty Maxi Fiat chassis which can be purchased from Fiat with the higher MTPLM anyway (no mods). I'll see if I can get a design weight certificate from my dealer and then send in the details to VOSA on the VTG10 form and see what happens.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Bring your COC etc.....

Personally even if I could I wouldn't! To many restrictions in Europe. You can drop water when going shopping on a return leg of trip. Also your limiting resale market.
I know all about the 'restrictions' but that doesn't worry me and it would be an easy exercise to downplate it in the future if necessary. We don't 'intend' to go over the 3500kg and probably won't but it would be good to have the ability to do so if the need arises without a problem. We both have the appropriate driving licence categories so that's not an issue either and we're not pensioners yet!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Like I said Mel easy to find local office on line, I would just go see them....

Edit: just emailed my local office to find out what's involved. As this question comes up now and again....

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The declared weights for our van are:

MTPLM = 3500kg
Front axle = 2100kg
Rear axle = 2400kg
MTW = 6000kg

The axles therefore are more than adequate for the uprate to 4250kg (yes I know they are always greater than the MTPLM!) and as this is the standard heavy duty Maxi Fiat chassis which can be purchased from Fiat with the higher MTPLM anyway (no mods). I'll see if I can get a design weight certificate from my dealer and then send in the details to VOSA on the VTG10 form and see what happens.
They are the same axle weights as mine and I'm at 4250kg. It should only be a matter of filling in a form with a copy of your plate and the new weight required.
You'll need a new plate at the revised weight.
Are you on 16" wheels at 225/75?

As for resale it can easily be downplated again

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You will obviously have to research further to check but just because you have a maxi chassis may not mean you can simply upgrade.
Things like tyre size and loading etc have to be taken into account.
From what I understand they can build on the maxi chassis and then if they are plateing for 3500kg may fit 15" wheels with lower load index....
As said look into it...

...Just seen Techno's post and the weights.. Certainly looks same as mine.
Why not complete the SVTech online form and see what they come back with, you will soon know if any mods are needed.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They are the same axle weights as mine and I'm at 4250kg. It should only be a matter of filling in a form with a copy of your plate and the new weight required.
You'll need a new plate at the revised weight.
Are you on 16" wheels at 225/75?

As for resale it can easily be downplated again
Yes, the same as you - it's on the Maxi heavy duty chassis with 16" wheel etc.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You will obviously have to research further to check but just because you have a maxi chassis may not mean you can simply upgrade.
Things like tyre size and loading etc have to be taken into account.
From what I understand they can build on the maxi chassis and then if they are plateing for 3500kg may fit 15" wheels with lower load index....
As said look into it...

...Just seen Techno's post and the weights.. Certainly looks same as mine.
Why not complete the SVTech online form and see what they come back with, you will soon know if any mods are needed.
As per the above it is the heavy duty Maxi chassis with uprated bits and bobs already and 16" wheels etc.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
contact your local MOT stanchion best ones to used I find is where there is a older mot guy they have a wealth of knowledge
and should be abill to advise you if not your local council mot place my be abil to help
bill

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Should be easy as effectively yours has been downplated to a maximum authorised mass purely for the larger market of 3500kg customers. You are applying for something well within the manufacturers limits

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Looks like this company is capable of making a new weight plate
http://www.vin-plate.co.uk

example
fiat%20auto.jpg

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Good luck with that.
I had my last van done with the help of SV Tech, & had copies of everything, so I thought it would be easy to do this van as I knew what forms were needed/ how to fill them in.
No chance. It went backwards & forwards to DVLA for about 3 months with countless emails to them in between. I even sent copies of everything to SV Tech (as I was an existing customer) & they said I had done everything right. But DVLA, like the computer, said NO.
In the end I paid SVTech to write a letter, Bingo, it sailed through.
One final word of warning, when DVLA reject your application, all documents SHOULD be returned to you - every time. The problem is that they're not allways all returned, plus (mine made the journey about ten times) there is always the risk of them being "lost in the post".

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Which ever way you do it you have to eventually deal with DVLA!:(

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I pretty much know the pros and cons of changing the weight (speed limits, tax etc) but it would be great to hear from someone who's actually done the change themselves and exactly what they had to do.
I did it Mel, via what was then VOSA. If you know how to use the search facility better than I do, it will save me having to type out the process again. ;)

Your first port of call should be your local DVSA Testing Station with the vehicle and all paperwork. With regards to the new weight plate, I got that from Hymer AG, after presenting them with an EU Type Approval (Goldschmitt) suspension upgrade certificate.

Good luck with the process. (y)

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update on this:

After contacting Fiat and chatting to them this morning unfortunately they won't do it as it's not their policy to do so once the vehicle has left them and referred me to SVTech ... however ... what they did tell me is that as the Fiat garages/dealerships are franchised and therefore 'independent' of Fiat they may decide to help us do this so our next course of action will be to contact our local Fiat commercial garage and see what they say; failing that we'll try one of the DVSA places (although technically because it's classed as a motorhome they wouldn't normally be interested).

I'll report back ...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
failing that we'll try one of the DVSA places (although technically because it's classed as a motorhome they wouldn't normally be interested).
That certainly wasn't my experience Mel.
Maybe I dropped lucky, because the official I dealt with at the P/boro DVSA Testing Station, was very keen to help, and even spoke to colleagues in Swansea and London by phone on my behalf, and because I had presented the relevant paperwork (evidence) they uprated the axle weight, issued a Vehicle Design Weight Certificate, and DVLA ammended the V5 to show a GVW of 5000Kgs, as a result.

Again, good luck. (y)

Jock.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
the DVSA office I emailed never replied....maybe a visit would be the answer. i concur with Jock above, when in the past importing from outside EU I found them very helpful (compared to the numpties @ DVLA!!)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
wonders will never cease!:LOL:

"Dear Mr Mental

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 19th May 2015, concerning the above.

Your query has been forwarded to a HGV/PSV Technical Officer who will respond to you directly within due course. If you wish to contact them directly they can be reached attechnical.officers@vosa.gov.uk

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,
RebeccaCustomer Service Centre Agent
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | The Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
Phone: Broken Link Removed | "

call them Mel....

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
VOSA have nothing to do with vehicle registration.... That is the job of DVSA to administer the law set out by the government.

VOSA are the organisation who uphold the law
VOSA are no more John, and is now DVSA. Did you mean DVLA in your reply to Judgemental, which is what he was referring to as well in his reply?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Use SV Tech it's a lot less hassle and it will pass through in no time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back