Uprating Vehicle - Has Anyone Done It Themselves (not Via Svtech)

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Minxy Girl, May 19, 2015.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We're considering uprating our new camper from 3500kg to 4250kg as it's on the Fiat Ducato Maxi heavy duty chassis so appears to be able to have this done as a purely paper exercise however I'm getting the run around from VOSA/DVLA etc as to exactly how to do it - we don't want to go to the expense of using SVTech at around £300 especially with the extra costs we've incurred with our van for the alarm and awning!

Once we've finished fettling and packing it we'll take it to a weighbridge anyway but should still be under 3500kg but are considering whether or not to do the uprating anyway just in case we find some 'goodies' to bring back off holiday ... as you do!

I pretty much know the pros and cons of changing the weight (speed limits, tax etc) but it would be great to hear from someone who's actually done the change themselves and exactly what they had to do.

• Like Like x 1
  2. drago35uk

drago35uk Funster

I tried and better tried as I had the original manufacturers certificate stating a 4 tonne weight. But just kept coming up blank so in the end reluctantly had to use SVtech which then sailed through.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Allanm

Allanm Funster

You will need a new weight plate, with date, and associated paperwork, to send to DVLA so they can change your taxation class and weight. The new weight plate should be displayed alongside the old one.
    You also need to ensure the chassis is suitable to be uprated without modification and I don't think DVLA will accept a non professional opinion. Then you will need to inform your insurance company. Mine wanted to know who had done the upgrade, I'm pretty sure my insurance would have been invalid if I said that I had done it myself.
    But, of course, it may be possible, there just might be a lot of hoops to jump through first.
    With SVTech, it straightforward and £312 well spent.
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

With SVTech you are paying for the information to be presented in a way that the DVLA accept, as much the information itself. Also part of the package they provide is a document detailing how the person making the declaration is qualified to do so. Unless you're similarly qualified this bit will be an issue for a DIY uprate. Just saying it's a maxi chassis so Fiat say it's good for 4250 isn't good enough. There is a lot of supporting design data on the paperwork you get from SVTech.
    IMHO it's worth £312 just for convenience. You're right in that it is just a paper exercise but there's a lot more to it than just writing to them.

It's funny how some insurance companies differ. I rang mine just to check and they weren't in the least bit interested. They didn't know what it was plated at before and they didn't want to know what it's plated at now. According to them it's not relevant to the insurance and doesn't count as a mod.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I would start by visiting a local VOSA office... They can't fob you off face to face. When I have dealt with them previously ( importing vehicle from outside EU) they were good to deal with.

Bring your COC etc.....

Personally even if I could I wouldn't! To many restrictions in Europe. You can drop water when going shopping on a return leg of trip. Also your limiting resale market.

6. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

There are no local VOSA Offices anymore

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

The declared weights for our van are:

MTPLM = 3500kg
    Front axle = 2100kg
    Rear axle = 2400kg
    MTW = 6000kg

The axles therefore are more than adequate for the uprate to 4250kg (yes I know they are always greater than the MTPLM!) and as this is the standard heavy duty Maxi Fiat chassis which can be purchased from Fiat with the higher MTPLM anyway (no mods). I'll see if I can get a design weight certificate from my dealer and then send in the details to VOSA on the VTG10 form and see what happens.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Judge Mental

• @Red Sonja sorry but think your getting confused with DVLA offices? Where do you think coaches, lorry's and buses get tested yearly?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Minxy Girl

I know all about the 'restrictions' but that doesn't worry me and it would be an easy exercise to downplate it in the future if necessary. We don't 'intend' to go over the 3500kg and probably won't but it would be good to have the ability to do so if the need arises without a problem. We both have the appropriate driving licence categories so that's not an issue either and we're not pensioners yet!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Judge Mental

Like I said Mel easy to find local office on line, I would just go see them....

Edit: just emailed my local office to find out what's involved. As this question comes up now and again....

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

They are the same axle weights as mine and I'm at 4250kg. It should only be a matter of filling in a form with a copy of your plate and the new weight required.
    You'll need a new plate at the revised weight.
    Are you on 16" wheels at 225/75?

As for resale it can easily be downplated again

12. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

You will obviously have to research further to check but just because you have a maxi chassis may not mean you can simply upgrade.
    Things like tyre size and loading etc have to be taken into account.
    From what I understand they can build on the maxi chassis and then if they are plateing for 3500kg may fit 15" wheels with lower load index....
    As said look into it...

...Just seen Techno's post and the weights.. Certainly looks same as mine.
    Why not complete the SVTech online form and see what they come back with, you will soon know if any mods are needed.

13. Minxy Girl

14. Minxy Girl

Yes, the same as you - it's on the Maxi heavy duty chassis with 16" wheel etc.

15. Minxy Girl

As per the above it is the heavy duty Maxi chassis with uprated bits and bobs already and 16" wheels etc.

16. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

contact your local MOT stanchion best ones to used I find is where there is a older mot guy they have a wealth of knowledge
    and should be abill to advise you if not your local council mot place my be abil to help
    bill

17. Techno

Should be easy as effectively yours has been downplated to a maximum authorised mass purely for the larger market of 3500kg customers. You are applying for something well within the manufacturers limits

18. Techno

• Like Like x 1
  19. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Good luck with that.
    I had my last van done with the help of SV Tech, & had copies of everything, so I thought it would be easy to do this van as I knew what forms were needed/ how to fill them in.
    No chance. It went backwards & forwards to DVLA for about 3 months with countless emails to them in between. I even sent copies of everything to SV Tech (as I was an existing customer) & they said I had done everything right. But DVLA, like the computer, said NO.
    In the end I paid SVTech to write a letter, Bingo, it sailed through.
    One final word of warning, when DVLA reject your application, all documents SHOULD be returned to you - every time. The problem is that they're not allways all returned, plus (mine made the journey about ten times) there is always the risk of them being "lost in the post".

• Like Like x 1
  20. Techno

Typical converters plate that goes next to the base vehicle manufacturers plate
    [​IMG]