Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
HI

Anyone uprated a M-H recently?. Who can do it? and / or What is the best procedure? .

Our "new" M-H (when it arrives) is rated 3.5t, But with SWMBO`s propensity to require "the kitchen sink". And more appropriately having to carry a Mobility Scooter. I can see it having to be uprated to the 3.8(ish) that can be achieved, I have been informed.

2 Other things come to mind.

1) being over 70 (but still in Relatively good health) I will need to get my Medical and retain the C1+E.

2) IF I am correct that will be offset by the fact that the "Road Tax" SHOULD come down from £290+ to about £165!!. (which for me is a plus as the greedy git`s get enough tax!!).

Anyone done it?

Pete

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm in the process of doing it at the moment using a company called Sv Tech who seem to be the recognised experts in the field. It isn't cheap - it will cost you £312 including VAT. You can fill a form in on their website and they will tell you what can be done - mine is going up to 4,250 kg.

Road tax will be less but if you are already over 70 and your C1 has elapsed I am not sure how easy it is to get it back. Hopefully, someone else can advise.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
C1+E. When I "made" 70. I needed my licence back quickly, as I was off back to the USA and did`nt have time to do the medical. (I now have a Texas License as well) I made enquiries of DVLA and was told verbally that I could ask for it`s re instatement retrospectively. So I am assuming that that info was correct?.

I assume SV Tech have a web site?.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 yrs
Have uprated two MH with SV Tech - excellent service and very helpful. One word of caution tho - before you go ahead, check the maximum rear axle weight you can go up to - and then work out extra weight (mobility scooter etc) you want to put on. One of our MH's wasn't worth the uprate as without expensive change to leaf springs we couldn't take much more weight. Don't know about your other questions, sorry. Good luck!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Just done mine with Sv Tech, paperwork exercise only going from 3500 to 3850.
Ring them and they can tell you straight away if yours will be straightforward.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Remember it's all dependent on the van,,,,
Best thing is fill in the SV Tech online form and send it in. They will soon tell you what can be done.

Re the license, should not be an issue, take medical (pass of course) and re-apply...

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Although you may up-rate your vehicle, it is usually the rear axle that gets over-loaded. Depending upon the overhang behind the back axle you can have problems still with excess weight. For example a bike weighing 25kg on the back of your van can have an axle weight of more than 50kg if your van has a large rear overhang.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just uprated mine via SV Tech, do talk to them first, I jumped the gun and fitted new wider tyres expecting to be able uprate the rear axle, then found out the Al-Ko AMC chassis has a limit of 2000kg, but you can uprate it if you fit air assist.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back