Upgrading Rear Axle Weight Limit On Autotrail Savannah On Fiat Maxi Chassis (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Last year I used SVTech to uprate the weight of my MoHo up to the maximum possible chassis limit of 4,500Kgs. This was adequate in the time available before going abroad and by fitting air suspension instead of the bump stops got me up to the 4,500Kgs limit for the maxi chassis. At the time SVTech said that by fitting uprated tyres I could increase the rear axle weight limit from 2,500Kgs to 2,600Kgs but still be stuck with 4,500Kgs maximum laden weight by fitting 118 weight rated tyres. The front axle is always well within limit but the rear is a bit touch and go so to be safe and now that I need a pair of new tyres I am going to uprate the rear axle weight now which SVTech will do for free as its within a year of doing the first uprate. I am fitting, on the advice of my tyre supplier 2 Continental Vanco Truck tyres rated at 121 instead of the usual 116 for camper tyres. I just need to send a copy of the invoice to show the tyre fitting to SVTech and they will issue me with a new plate sticker. Peace of mind!

For those interested the 116 weight rating is for 1,250Kgs per corner or 2,500 for the axle whereas 121 gets it up to 1,450Kgs per corner or 2,900Kgs for the axle. More peace of mind. The 118 weight rating takes them up to 1,320Kgs per corner or 2,640 per axle.

In due course all 4 and the spare will be changed to these tyres which are £140 each fitted inc new steel valves and VAT.

This might be of interest to some of you especially SVTech's policy of not charging for a further change within 12 months!

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
SV Tech told me that if I fitted air assist to upgrade my rear axle they would issue an new plate FOC, no mention of a 12 month limit.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Tyres now fitted at £141 each including VAT from Buyrite Tyres in Newton Abbot where Ray the owner has been my supplier since 1970!

Papers on their way to SVTech so the new plate should be with me soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We are with your same situation last year, we need to fit air suspension to update the total weight.
Can I ask, which/who fit your air suspensionS and how much it cost?

Many thanks.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Trouble is a new owner down the line might not understand the importance of the tyre loadings and revert to the originals. I don't understand how up plating can be done on such an unstable agreement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Rest assured that I will make sure that any purchaser from me is made fully aware! In addition to telling them and putting it on any bill of sale I will:-

Show all the weight plates under the bonnet with the dates and history, whys and wherefores

I will update the owners manual to show the tyres fitted, weight limits, pressures etc

I will also update the sun visors where the vehicle dimensions are shown to show the tyre specifications, tyre pressures and weight limits as dependent on the heavy duty tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
We are with your same situation last year, we need to fit air suspension to update the total weight.
Can I ask, which/who fit your air suspensionS and how much it cost?

Many thanks.

I have sent you a PM. The Dunlop kit from Marcle Leisure this time last year cost £371.13p. I fitted the kit myself which I thought was straightforward.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Contact Phil, from Rhiboinstalls, Friday, been told he can do it in about 6 weeks, I asked if can do urgent before we are traveling to France for two weeks, very helpful, booked for Monday (Bank holiday) is that not a great service?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back