Upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Munchie, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

My dektop runs Vista Ultimate.
    SWMBO's lappie runs Vista Home Premium.
    My Netbook runs XP

Now, all machines are rock solid so would there be any advantage in getting the 3 licence Windows 7? :RollEyes:

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Never a truer saying when dealing with computers. Typed on a nice rock solid XP.

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I will have to be dragged kicking and screaming from XP. It works, its rock solid, why change? Not really looked at windows 7 properly yet; is there a killer thing that it does that XP does not?

4. joggerman

joggerman Read Only Funster

I am sticking with XP

As an ex IT Manager in the NHS, my rule was that we never upgraded our operating systems until we decided that the next one was rock solid, and that microsoft had ironed out all the serious bugs. As XP is still OK I am sticking with it for the forseeable future.

Early adoption of new Microsoft products is for 'geeks' and those who enjoy fixing endless problems, not for those who what to get on with their computer based work.

5. nozzmoking

nozzmoking Read Only Funster

Totally agree with Brian - 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.

I can't think of any reason for upgrading to 7 if your machines are running well.

Is it just me or, are computers much more reliable these days? Touch wood, it's been ages since I last had a hard disk failure and even my lappy is still going strong after 2 1/2 years.

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

On the basis of 30+ years working in IT, I agree with others who say leave well alone. Computers are only tools and if they are doing the jobs demanded of them why go to the trouble and expense of changing?

Graham

7. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We had Vista on Media Centre,Vista on my desktop and XP on C's Lappie and Netbook-so I decided to give 7 a try on the Media Centre.

So far we are very pleased, with features that should have worked in Vista now working.But these are all Media Centre features,like the programme guide now populates properly, we now have 'Red Button' facility, ordinary DVD's now play in Windows (Blue Ray is still not supported )

There are a couple of issues with our network to sort,but they are not vital.
    One comment my IT Guru made was that he would rather I had done a 'Clean Install' instead of an Upgrade.

Mike.

8. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

The only reason I changed was old PC died and was not worth repairing. Had Vista when new one arrived and had lots of problems was offered an upgrade to 7 free of charge and since loaded in on release date has worked well with no problems. Have also found programs from XP that would not run in Vista will run on 7 so am happy so far.

Only time will tell.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

9. reader

reader Deleted User

The PC's that I look after that have vista on are all running without problems, XP is ok and we are all used to it.
    I have Win7 Pro on a machine (which is in bits at the moment) and I dont see any advantage of 7 over Vista.

As others say, leave well alone if you dont have any issues

10. andycotterell

andycotterell Read Only Funster

Win 7 recommended

After a lot of research I have made the move to Windows 7 and I would definitely recommend it.
    It's fast-booting, stable and is much less resource-intensive than either XP or Vista (much smaller memory footprint and more efficient disk usage). It also uses a lot less power; many netbook users report significantly increased battery life.

11. smifee

smifee Read Only Funster

Had 2 networked computers. One on Vista t'other on 7 (64 bit).

Lots of problems with the 7 computer. Old programs wouldn't run, printer wouldn't work, network files couldn't be accessed etc. :cry:

Put 7 (32 bit) on the Vista pooter & all problems have disappeared. Boot up on the 64 bit machine is very quick.:BigGrin:

So if you have computers networked make sure they are all on 7.

12. Haaamster

Haaamster Read Only Funster

Windows Vista has a known problem when the system installs the latest upgrade. I have a laptop which will now not boot up and goes into crcdisk error every time I try starting. I have looked for an answer on the net and it seems there is no answer except upgrading to windows 7. Microsoft of course do not recognise that there is a fault.
    After using every windows system at some point XP is definately the best.

13. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

If they all do what everyone wants then don't do a thing. If those with Vista give them grief then downgrade to XP if possible.

As a Linux user I feel sorry for anyone who is tied to Windows. :BigGrin:

14. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

i upgrded our desktop from vista to windows 7, it is so much more pleasant to use, and glad i did. only upgraded because i got a free upgrade would not buy windows 7 just to upgrade, our laptop still on xp.

if you do decide to upgrade do so home work first by listing all your hardware then checking the makers website to confirm widows7 drivers are available is yes download them all and save to dvd also run the microsoft upgrade advisor a free program that checks you computer can run windws 7
    http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_7_Upgrade_Advisor_d6076.html