Upgrade a Mercedes sprinter 416 GVM (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Does anyone know what I would have to alter on my van to upgrade a Mercedes sprinter 416 GVM

The last owner had it up to SvTech and had the GMW lifted to 4950 kg but this with full water/gas and us both in the van only leaves 490 Kg. I have had rear air fitted since but think it will be down to brakes, and wheel size.

Any thoughts?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Pat, Can't see it going much above 5250kg. Have you tried ringing sv tech and asking? They will give you the info of what they can do and what you need to do without you actually paying anything.

When I used SV tech tehy were very helpful. :thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Does anyone know what I would have to alter on my van to upgrade a Mercedes sprinter 416 GVM

The last owner had it up to SvTech and had the GMW lifted to 4950 kg but this with full water/gas and us both in the van only leaves 490 Kg. I have had rear air fitted since but think it will be down to brakes, and wheel size.

Hi Guys,

Just had SvTech uplate ours, cost £282, we also have the air suspension fitted by Phil though would say that it`s more down to the wheels, tyres and brakes.
Phone SvTech on 01772-621800 they are very helpful people.

Cheers Rob n Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You need an Rv mate:Doh:
Go on your worth it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I should think you are already very close to the limit for a 416, since it was a nominal 4.5 tonne chassis. One thing you might need to consider is the capability of the handbrake (parking brake). On the heavier-rated 616 chassis it is powered by air. My motorhome is on a 316 (rated at 3,800 kg) and 18 months ago I had an advisory warning on the handbrake at MOT. It has to be capable of stopping the vehicle in an emergency. The tester said that, in his opinion, Sprinter handbrakes were not really up to the job and anything over 3,500 kg should have an air brake. My handbrake was sorted out by the service garage, before the next MOT, but the reason the 616 has an air parking brake is that the hand-applied version used on 316 / 416 is not capable of applying sufficient arresting and parking force for the heavier chassis.
So, even though you may be able to up-rate the 416 chassis beyond 5 tonnes, it may still fail an MOT because of the "weedy" handbrake.

Philip

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Thank's guy's

Just phoned Svtech his workds....Buy a bigger truck! it cant be done Boo Hoo...well thats decided it for me, the front pulldown bed is getting removed...it weight is 200 Kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

490 KG is as near as dam half a ton ::bigsmile: why do you need more ? drive with almost empty water tank that will give you more :thumb: You have more payload than 9 out of 10 vans even when they are empty- most only come with around 400 kg when new :Eeek:not inc passenger or water etc
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back