Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
First of all I really don't know what I'm talking about here but I know what we want to do, so bear with me! We are looking to buy our first motorhome and one possibility that we've looked and liked is a 2009 Hymer Exsis-i 522. Given the age, it has only a radio/CD player but we'd really like to be able to listen to downloaded Spotify playlists from my phone. What would we need to do??

fraefreuchie

Free Member
Sep 24, 2014
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 510
Exp
since 2014
My Hymer had a Pioneer radio cassette system. I simply swapped it for a new bluetooth enabled radio/mp3 player. the bonus is a usb port for charging your phone whilst listening to music via bluetooth. It is best to stick to the same brand because the block connector and aerial connection are the same. Slide it out. Slide the new one in. One of the very few jobs that was easier than I first thought. Have a look at: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Pioneer-MVH-390BT-Bluetooth-Radio-MP3-USB-Aux-In-iPod-iPhone-Car-Stereo-1Din-/112202261895?hash=item1a1fc6a587:g:yDYAAOSw44BYI3Ou

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Does your radio have bluetooth or a USB port? If so it should be easy to link your phone and the radio together, as long as the Bluetooth has a A2DP profile. If it has neither then buy a cheap standard DIN one that does and replace your existing one. If you get one with a CTP profile as well you will able to use it for hands free calls. See here for bluetooth profiles.

In order to post more than 5 posts you will need to subscribe here. You will find it is the best £15 you will spend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Some units have an aux in. This is like a headphone socket. Use the headphone out on your phone to aux in on the stereo and you have music.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

giovanni

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks so much for all your replies. We are going to have another look at the motorhome on Monday so I will investigate... Peterc10, thanks for the advice, I have now subscribed!

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks so much for all your replies. We are going to have another look at the motorhome on Monday so I will investigate... Peterc10, thanks for the advice, I have now subscribed!
In that case welcome to the madhouse. You will find a lot of us (including me) have Hymer A classes and like them.

You may find that your dealer will be willing to throw in a newer radio/CD as part of the deal. But do bargain hard, as they are not selling second hand many this time of year, and will have lots coming in soon from PX's of those who bought at the autumn NEC show.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
When I ought my MH I wanted to update the cab radio.

I went to Halfords, browsed their offerings, sought advice, picked a box that suited my needs including;

An Aux input option, so I could play talking books from my phone, either that I had downloaded of directly from the Internet.
Acts as a 'Hands Free' phone device.
Digital radio.
CD Player.

Cost me about £150 including free fitting. I bunged the guy £25 and he wired it to the rear speakers as well as the cab speakers and he also fitted the old radio/CD device into habitation area, drawing power from the rear battery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

giovanni

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you! Well I've made my 1st mistake! The older one is an Exsis 522, not an Exsis i.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Same as The Old Man. Halfords are good value on this. We updated to DAB too with a windscreen aerial. Good fitter and good tidy job

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

giovanni

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi thanks for that sounds good
What sort of mpg do people get on a run? The homer we are looking at has the rear window missing does anyone know how much a replacement would be

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi thanks for that sounds good
What sort of mpg do people get on a run? The homer we are looking at has the rear window missing does anyone know how much a replacement would be
Assume you mean hymer. Sounds a bit dodgy if they are selling it like that - assume it is a private sale and it suggests the owner has not really cared for it much. And I would worry about how long it has been like that and if it has allowed water to penetrate.

Prices of windows will depend upon size but they will not be cheap, and you may have to wait a while for delivery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

giovanni

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry the chap had a temporary repair done on holiday with perspec but I would like to put it back to original, wondered how much spare one would be?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi giovanni, welcome to the fun house.

Could I suggest that you buy and read Jim's buyers guide before you get a MH as it sounds like you have a lot to learn and could easily end up with problems if you don't educate yourself first ... we never stop learning but hopefully most of us have enough knowledge to stop making mistakes!

http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-buyers-guide/

As for the one you're talking about, if you want to post a link to it on here we can give you a specific opinion on it which is difficult to do at present.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

giovanni

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I will be taking a friend who has built his own camper to check it out ,just wanted to know if anyone new how much or where to get replacement window and what sort of mpg hymer 522 on 2009 year does on a run

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Giovanni, get the make, model and year, then phone an agent.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

giovanni

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's the second one ,you must have Cristal ball it's not the best example but with a bit of time and money could be ok

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's the second one ,you must have Cristal ball it's not the best example but with a bit of time and money could be ok
Just make sure you check out the 'Cat D' status as it could cost you more in insurance than a non-Cat D one and it may make it more difficult to sell in the future, although if you get it at a very good discount (more than it is currently up for) it would make a good buy I should think. It would be interesting to get a valuation for it from a dealer if you sold it to them so you've got a realistic base price for it before you start any negotiations.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

giovanni

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Also was wondering if someone on here who had similar one could tell me what they do on a long run?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back