Updating an older MH....the done thing?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by The_Kraken, Oct 17, 2016.

1. The_Kraken

The_Kraken Funster

Hi all,

We have only recently acquired our first MH - a 2004 Autotrail Cheyenne 696se. We love it. However, we want to put our own stamp on it. Without really tearing into the interior - which doesn't really need doing - there are a couple of jobs I fancy taking on. I just wondered if I'd end up devaluing the MH rather than adding value to it? Are most MH buyers strictly traditionalists? Do they prefer things to be 'as standard'? and therefore I'd be better leaving well alone? Or would a few well executed modifications be just the tonic?

I'd like to carry out the following mods:

Replace the dated looking sockets and switches with new ones
    Replace the kitchen worktop and sink unit with something more modern
    Jazz up the cupboards somehow (suggestions or examples more than welcome!)
    Re upholster throughout

Would I be upsetting the purists?

Has anyone done exactly what I'm thinking of doing and could you chip in with ideas and where to get things?

Any input gratefully accepted.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I'd say do as you wish it's your vehicle.
    Things done badly or in poor taste may devalue but that would depend how long you intend to keep it

• Like Like x 4
  3. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Echoing Figaro, as long as your improvements are done properly it won't affect the resale value.

However you've only just got it! Why worry about resale? Just do what YOU want.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

To be honest I would use it a bit first you might find it's not even the van for you or you might want completely different things done to this van.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

............or a different van.......:whistle:

.........and welcome(y)

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I would be wary of altering any of the fitting as they are what those who purchase Autotrails expect when looking for one so by changing the look of the cupboard doors, and kitchen unit itself, you could seriously undervalue it in the future, however if you were to replace the actual kitchen worktop and sink to a more modern type/look that shouldn't make any difference so long as it is done well so as to appear 'original' in quality.

Changing the socket fronts etc though if they are the older creamy type for something more modern would certainly be an improvement. Re-upholstering including replacing the foam too may be an improvement too depending on your taste (!) but it may be better to get some removable covers made instead for the existing seats, that way you can get the 'new' look you want without the massive outlay for a refurbishment especially if there's nothing wrong with them anyway and it also preserved the original quality/materials.

Personally, I'd live with it for a while but if you want to do something now, instead of altering the 'fixed' bits, put in some new scatter cushions, replace the curtains (keep the originals just in case!) and some nice throws for the sofas and you'll be surprised at the difference just doing that makes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

You could cover the cupboards with low tack vinyl. I have just finished off our latest update.
    WP_20161017_14_38_53_Pro.jpg

Lin :)

• Like Like x 4
  8. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Exactly my sentiments, it is not uncommon for people to decide that their first van is not exactly what they had imagined and they trade it in for another, and then another.
    Enjoy it as it is for awhile I would say, have fun whatever you do.
    Norman.

9. The_Kraken

The_Kraken Funster

I take on board all of your comments. We definitely will go slowly. The MH is in good nick but it has been a little neglected.

For example, every lock to every door aside from the Ducato cab, had no keys. I've spent a few quid replacing all of the locks (which were so seized up through lack of use that I had to get a locksmith in).

The reversing camera was kaput so I've installed a new one.

I'm going to tackle the pull out bed / sofas. They work ok but they're a bit clunky to pull out. I'm going to dismantle and reassemble and get them functioning a bit nicer than they do. I cannot believe Autotrail used a pair of kitchen drawer runners for the job! They look awful. So I'll find something that works a lot better.

The sockets are going. I hate them. Lol

The worktop I think I will end up doing as the wooden surround has a few knocks in it.

oh, then there's the awning which is about had it. I think it's an uneconomic repair so I'll source a new one before next summer.

I'd like. To install a new floor but I've aalready discovered that Autotrail built the furniture on top of the current flooring......so a careful cut around and trim job will do it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The_Kraken

The_Kraken Funster

I like that!

• Like Like x 1
  11. The_Kraken

The_Kraken Funster

Totally understand but this ones a keeper. We love The Kraken - we're just redocorating :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

13. The_Kraken

The_Kraken Funster

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

With a van of that age it will not make much odds, do what you want to it. Different matter on a van only 2 or 3 years old then it could devalue it.

15. The_Kraken

The_Kraken Funster

Wow. Thanks for the rain on my parade. Love you too Lenny.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I was a guest in a 1988 Talbot this year, one which had been modernised very nicely.........With not much more then paint! Gone were the dark wood cupboards, now a fresh light blue, which completely changed the whole aspect of the van. Along with a few mods to the Luton bed, some fresh and cheerful coverings to the seats, a new fridge and hob top. Very nice it was as well.
    At the end of the day, it's your good self who will spend the most time in it, along with your family. Sod everyone else, do it to your own tastes. It can cost very little to spruce up old and dated interiors. (y)

• Like Like x 6
  17. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

All the modifications you have planned seem like they need doing . So go ahead if you love the van and want to modernise it I'm sure it will look great. have many happy and enjoyable travels in her!

• Like Like x 5
  18. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Hi.gif @The_Kraken and a warm welcome from us. If you were to sell it at a later date I think most people would want a MH that looks well cared for rather than a tatty 'original'. You may upset a minority of purists but the majority of buyers would appreciate your renovations. Anyway, hopefully, that will be a long time in the future so, as long as you take care with your alterations, go ahead and make it as you want it to be.

Our elderly MH is like a second home to us and we like it be comfortable for us and not to satisfy some anal purist.

• Like Like x 6
  19. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Please post photos and information once you have done this. As of yet Alan hasn't camd up with anything but don't think he's really been looking. I agree the runners are awful so once you find a better workaround I can show him.

Welcome to fun :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We had a solar panel and Alugas fitted when we first bought our current van, changed all the lights to LED and changed the curtains for practical ones instead of shams. Subsequently had a rear view camera fitted and had the dinette and cab seats reupholstered (with new foam).
    I also took out the bulky table support (which allows it to be converted into a bed, which we don't need with just two of us) and put in a single central support which provides more leg room. I have, however, kept all the parts so that I can convert it back when we eventually sell it (as lack of second bed may affect the value).

• Like Like x 1