Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Hi John, hope that you and the big feller are ok. good to hear blood test were taken ok and hope results are all clear. :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Cos he's goes PRIVATE TBO:Doh: £120 :Angry:

Now that is a good owner.....you go NHS - Bruno goes Private! :thumb:

Hope he ok, and all goes well! Does he have insurance? I know some schemes cover 'for life' (which is what ours has) In that case, if he needs long term treatment, it will be paid for for life.

Good luck again - you two are a couple of fighters!:thumb:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Now that is a good owner.....you go NHS - Bruno goes Private! :thumb:

Hope he ok, and all goes well! Does he have insurance? I know some schemes cover 'for life' (which is what ours has) In that case, if he needs long term treatment, it will be paid for for life.

Good luck again - you two are a couple of fighters!:thumb:

Yes thank got but when he hit 10 his policy doubled and his excess doubled to £100 per new treatment.

Still pay for Amy my other Dane the ex has to!

For life insurance is a must especially if you have dog known issues as they age.

Thanks again everyone for all the good wishes.

My big fella means the world to me:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Well these results are fairly good but now want another urine sample to be sent off for analysis re protein, he sure being analysed but it's not intrusive so heh ho.

He is looking better.

Big thanks for all the concern, it means a lot guys:Smile::winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Good news mate.:thumb:

but don't you find that vets string it out when a dog is insured:Doh:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp

Tell me about it:Doh::RollEyes:

I have to be fairly tough with em as £100 excess on new ailments now because of his age, but back and forward with diesel.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
bruno

hi john,yep i think jim makes a good point there mate.some times they are like solictors and they can string it along a bit.but great news that bruno is getting better.well done take care.regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005

:ROFLMAO:Do they ever, Shelby was about 9 months when she had a problem, vet grimaced, and started the well we could do with this and that test, and we could do with the other but manage without, is she insured?

Ticked every box with a smile like a Cheshire cat:Doh:

Anywho, glad Bruno's looking up:thumb:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Off topic but:-

I am surprised the insurers let the vets give the medication out as they get no discount whatsoever I know this as used to pay the bill and claim it back, cant afford to do that now.

If it was a car the insurers would direct you to one of their body-shops.

Some of the bill are horrendous.

I now pay £100 a month for Bruno and Amy to be insured with Bruno being loaded like crazy.

Ta for all your concern for my fellas well-being though.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Asda a doing a life cover policy now at £15/month, which seems quite on par with the big boys - offering mirror cover too.

It is usually the vet that prefers to be paid first, insurers will pay the vet direct - the vet just doesn't want the paperwork, or have to wait!

If you tell your vet you are struggling, they may arrange to collect fees direct from insurers.

Many insurers will reduce the policy if you challenge them, and also check what he is insured for...many dogs are 'over insured' - this can be the claim limit per visit etc. Ours was a staggering £6,000 - we reduced that to £4000 as the vet advised he would be way past any humane recovery to incur that sort of fee. That halved the policy cost alone!

If you have a dog that doesn't go far, or is very docile - looks at what is there. A small dog that trundles around the house won't suffer any serious injuries that would cost 6k - illness is usually covered elsewhere anyway!

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Off topic but:-

I am surprised the insurers let the vets give the medication out as they get no discount whatsoever I know this as used to pay the bill and claim it back, cant afford to do that now.

If it was a car the insurers would direct you to one of their body-shops.

Some of the bill are horrendous.

I now pay £100 a month for Bruno and Amy to be insured with Bruno being loaded like crazy.

Ta for all your concern for my fellas well-being though.

Our little dog was,nt insured when she broke a leg in Jan, as we had her chipped when at the vets she was insured for a month a day after the insurance run out, she broke her other leg,she is only 8 months old, are we broke? not quite but had to curtail this years winter break in Tenerife (no pun intended ) so do you insure or not, for £120 pound a year, I think so, as vets bill was in excess off £3000........Del :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
We did not bother this year, as the premium started 4 years ago at less £100 per year now around £350 per year. Never had to use it, also does not cover his epelepsy (or how ever you spell it) or any injury relating to it.

I asked them why it had trebeled in the 4 years they could not answer.

So decised to take the risk.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
We did not bother this year, as the premium started 4 years ago at less £100 per year now around £350 per year. Never had to use it, also does not cover his epelepsy (or how ever you spell it) or any injury relating to it.

I asked them why it had trebeled in the 4 years they could not answer.

So decised to take the risk.

Yes I agree with you But we have never insured our dogs before but you pays your money and you take your choice........Del

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
TBO in the early years always was just insurance that nothing happened but now I am so glad we have it as Bruno has had a throat operation where he had a breathing problem and almost straight away after had a big operation to remove a lump from his tummy.

It's cost me but so glad I made sure we had FOR LIFE POLICY as he is on constant medication now for arthritis and these ongoing issues.

But YES the vets fleece em.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
He's been up and down recently, but now he's coughing a lot and being sick. Had a few night been up all night with him including last night.

Off to vets this afternoon.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Injection and antibiotics, he such a good dog with medication, I really feel sorry for him though.

He looks to me to sort it for him and I cant.:Sad: so many years in his eyes I solved everything.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi John..

I know you love the Big Fella and I know he loves you.

He's looking for you to make the right decision. He trusts you.

Steve.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Well he has kidney problems being investigated (drinking gallons of water literally) and going in for a camera down his throat on Monday as X ray today picked up he has pneumonia and they are checking for any other nasties, if he can get over the pneumonia sure he will has some more time but will not let him suffer.

I hate growing old.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
as befor mate, fingers crossed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Wishing you and Bruno what ever is the best for you both, not many Big dogs have had the love and attention you have given Bruno and as Steve says he knows what ever you do its only for the best for him.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
He is very poorly this morning, breathing better and not being sick, wont eat though, giving him his ten tablets was hell this morning although he trust me totally. trouble is vets only stock smaller size pills for normal sized dogs so get loads from my boy.

I am very worried at present.

He look at me expecting I can sort it as I always have but its his turn now to fight the pneumonia, if he can get through this we can manage the other symptoms hopefully.

I don't know what i would do without him.:Sad:

Hydecolt

Free Member
Jan 7, 2008
Traveling in europe
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
full timed 8 years/traveled 4 years
so,so sorry to read of Brunos health problems, he is a wonderful old chap, he knows that you will always be there for him, and do whats best for him,

my heart goes out to you both
Anna x

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
This must be absolute torment for you John. Just keep on doing what's best for him and keep strong yourself. :hug:

Ivy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back