South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

Just a quick update on our disaster!

The garage have concluded that the seals in the fuel pump have gone, this is due to it being stood for quite a period of time :Doh: obviously our fault. Thankfully they have got one already. The cambelt etc is still in one piece so that is good news although we have bought a replacement with all the tensioners etc for them to do.

The mechanic is away Thurs/Fri and weekend on a stag do so maybe can't get it finished until Monday 9 Aug with it needing timing etc.

We are due in Cannes on Sat 7 Aug so I have telephone Select Sites to see if the can delay our week, they are getting in touch with the site as they are not showing fully booked and it will be down to their discretion whether they allow us to put it back a week. Hopefully lady luck has got to give us a break? please? :shout:

Vik

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
At least you know whats wrong , and that it can be fixed.:thumb:

Hopefully select sites will be able to fit you in at your chosen destination.
Then you can have a huge "fruit de la mere" for me.
MMmmmm mouths watering just thinking about one.:Blush:
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Hope all goes well will keep every thing crossed.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I hope all goes well for you, can I suggest that you do 100 miles on local roads as a road test before you move too far from home.

Doug...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Brodie, we are pleased to here your van is getting fixed, As Doug says, give it a good run first, after which check the oil and water to show all is well. We are in France from the 16th ish. if you really still want to go and cant get the site to change, PM me, I know some great aires that you and the kids would love and they are free. :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Good news there then... a quick thought...

When communicating with the campsite/agent/whoever re the possible change of dates it would do no harm to let them know that you are a regular poster/member of MHF and that thousands of motorhomers can follow your adventures and can learn how you are treated...both now and in the future

JJ:winky:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi jj I think a few dealers etc out there might pull fingers out if they realised the readership and potential influence on mhf

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

The garage have concluded that the seals in the fuel pump have gone, this is due to it being stood for quite a period of time :Doh: obviously our fault. Thankfully they have got one already. The cambelt etc is still in one piece so that is good news although we have bought a replacement with all the tensioners etc for them to do.

The mechanic is away Thurs/Fri and weekend on a stag do so maybe can't get it finished until Monday 9 Aug with it needing timing etc.

We are due in Cannes on Sat 7 Aug so I have telephone Select Sites to see if the can delay our week, they are getting in touch with the site as they are not showing fully booked and it will be down to their discretion whether they allow us to put it back a week.
Vik

Right next installment, I feel like this is turning into a right old saga :cry:

The garage have now decided the fuel pump is ok and it IS cambelt that has slipped. He says he can do it tomorrow but the timing is a bigger job than actually putting it on and he can't do this till Monday! We are now getting a bit suss and don't know whether he just wants to start the job so he can finish it as his convenience :whatthe: we have explained to him that we are in rush. So...don't know what we are gonna do now for the best, as most of you probably know there are very few people who really step up to the plate and who you can rely on when needed :Angry:.

On a more positive note the campsite have agreed to delay the booking by a week :thumb::thumb: What fantastic service I have received from Select Sites. I will write to them and tell them this when I receive the confirmation :Smile:. That now takes a bit of pressure off time wise although we don't want to leave it too late before setting off with it being a long way to tram on in a couple of days.

Rich had also mentioned to me about having run out to the coast just to make sure everything was ok once fixed, so now it has been recommended by a funster too I will take this as gospel and do as i'm told :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Thanks everyone
Vik

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Glad to hear things are starting to look up and im sure with a little begging you might get the mechanic to do it for you quicker what ever happens best of luck and have a good hol when it comes.

Gerry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi your mechanic may be giving you a merry dance as to put the cambelt on correctly you have to pin the engine which sets the timing.
the only way the pump could be out of time when it is pinned is if the pulley has slipped on the driveshaft.
the question i would be asking is what caused the cambelt to slip in the first place.
a failed idler pulley bearing? tensioner? waterpump? or has something got inside the belt cover?.
having changed a few cambelts in my time on various vehicles it should take no longer than 2 - 3 hours depending on what has to be removed / re-fitted.

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
hi your mechanic may be giving you a merry dance as to put the cambelt on correctly you have to pin the engine which sets the timing.
the only way the pump could be out of time when it is pinned is if the pulley has slipped on the driveshaft.
the question i would be asking is what caused the cambelt to slip in the first place.
a failed idler pulley bearing? tensioner? waterpump? or has something got inside the belt cover?.
having changed a few cambelts in my time on various vehicles it should take no longer than 2 - 3 hours depending on what has to be removed / re-fitted.

Thanks very much for this post :thumb:.

We have now spoken to an independant mobile mechanic who we have been put in touch with and he has said exactly the same as you. Rich thinks it is a tensioner that has caused it so he ordered the full replacement lot as a precaution, he also got a waterpump but the mechanic at the garage said that it wasn't needed as on this model a Peugeot J5 as it is seperate to the cambelt?

We are going to pick it up first thing and take it to a secure yard where this 'new mechanic' can hopefully, fingers crossed (again) sort it :thumb:.

I've learnt more about engines in the last few days than in however many years :Eeek: (not that I am happy about that)!!!

Vik

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Make sure (I am pretty certain he will have) he has a heavy duty air gun or something similar to undo and (more importantly) do up the crank nut which is on very, very tight...

JJ

I did a cambelt in a pub carpark and had to call in a mobile guy to do this... he was very good... :thumb:

Think ofall the tales you will be able to tell when the annoyance has died down :winky:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I hope it all now goes to plan for you, and as JJ says if poeple think they will get good publicity it allways helps...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back