Update on Breakdown Part 2 (Peugeot Push Pins & Rocker Arm) (1 Viewer)

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi all

We have now got the diagnosis on the engine it was the cambelt that has slipped teeth due to a tensioner failing:Eeek:. We are now trying to locate replacement push rods & rocker arms.

Does anyone know where we can get these from fairly quickly?

The mechanic has been great by the way at last we have found someone who has experience with this kind of engine and is willing to put the work in, he didn't leave last night till nightfall.

Select Sites have confirmed in writing that the site have agreed to move our booking on by a week :thumb:. So hopefully now once these other bits are on and we are all timed up we can get off again (although I am quite nervous).

If anyone can help with the rods etc then I will be very grateful. :thumb:

Thanks
Vik

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi all

We have now got the diagnosis on the engine it was the cambelt that has slipped teeth due to a tensioner failing:Eeek:. We are now trying to locate replacement push rods & rocker arms.

Does anyone know where we can get these from fairly quickly?

The mechanic has been great by the way at last we have found someone who has experience with this kind of engine and is willing to put the work in, he didn't leave last night till nightfall.

Select Sites have confirmed in writing that the site have agreed to move our booking on by a week :thumb:. So hopefully now once these other bits are on and we are all timed up we can get off again (although I am quite nervous).

If anyone can help with the rods etc then I will be very grateful. :thumb:

Thanks
Vik
Has he established no valve damage? How?
Geo

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Has he established no valve damage? How?
Geo
Perhaps he's established that the pushrods are bent, and have therefore taken the hit rather than the valves........................................or not!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi Geo

They haven't started it up yet is it only then that we will know of valve damage - is this right?

Isn't it a bugger when you know so much about different things (hubby does I just pretend!:ROFLMAO:) yet when it is something like an engine we know bugger all so are relying on what we are being told by various people - we don't really even know what questions we should be asking. :Doh:

Vik

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Perhaps he's established that the pushrods are bent, and have therefore taken the hit rather than the valves........................................or not!

They are well bent Rich brought them home last night and they are nearly an s shape.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Vik will now be going no no no not more pleeeeaaaase.
Well i would be , after you 2 posting that.
Hope you get it sorted
Note to self. Get our cam belt checked .
Bev

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
They are well bent Rich brought them home last night and they are nearly an s shape.

Ouch:Eeek:

What about the 'bottom end', big ends etc, are these being checked/replaced? My experience is at the very least the shells suffer damage and result quickly in oil pressure drop, not good, and also pistons/valves as Geo said?

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Vik will now be going no no no not more pleeeeaaaase.
Well i would be , after you 2 posting that.
Hope you get it sorted
Note to self. Get our cam belt checked .
Bev

No............get your cambelt tensioner checked

I reckon if this engine needs - on first visual inspection - pushrods and rocker arms, it's fairly well bu&&ered. Even if you replace those parts, as others have said, what other gremlins lie in wait. If I was looking at a long trip to the South of France with a hastily assembled engine, I would want to be 200% sure it was not going to fail further. And no one can give you that sort of guarantee.

If it was me, I would want a replacement engine.......minimum

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I am losing the will to live

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98

All sympathy to you.

Re-reading your initial low-loader post, it would seem as if your m/h was driven for a fair few miles with this slipped cambelt problem. And you stopped when the poor dear wouldn't go any further.

If I were you - for complete peace of mind - I would be looking at replacing the engine. No if's, no but's.....just do it. Should be found at online vehicle breakers. If you fix the engine you have, you don't know how much graunched metal is going to be in there swilling about in the oil, in fact, the swarf has probably already caused more damage just waiting to bite you on the ar$e further down the road......oil pump; big ends etc etc.

You could of course ignore what I hope is my sage advice borne of experience.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

I'm sure you will get it sorted.
Its just the fact that you have the long journey to France straight after, with the kids thats the worry.
Shame you haven't the time for a good long drive before , to set your mind at rest.
I'm sure once its fixed , it will be fixed. Though im no mechanic !
But its bound to be stressing you out. You wouldn't be normal otherwise:thumb:
Bev

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
All sympathy to you.

Re-reading your initial low-loader post, it would seem as if your m/h was driven for a fair few miles with this slipped cambelt problem. And you stopped when the poor dear wouldn't go any further.

If I were you - for complete peace of mind - I would be looking at replacing the engine. No if's, no but's.....just do it. Should be found at online vehicle breakers. If you fix the engine you have, you don't know how much graunched metal is going to be in there swilling about in the oil, in fact, the swarf has probably already caused more damage just waiting to bite you on the ar$e further down the road......oil pump; big ends etc etc.

You could of course ignore what I hope is my sage advice borne of experience.

...not knowing about online vehicle dismantlers but knowing a little bit about the real world dismantlers I am wondering how one would know about the condition of a second hand engine engine bought from this source?

JJ

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Geo

They haven't started it up yet is it only then that we will know of valve damage - is this right?

Isn't it a bugger when you know so much about different things (hubby does I just pretend!:ROFLMAO:) yet when it is something like an engine we know bugger all so are relying on what we are being told by various people - we don't really even know what questions we should be asking. :Doh:

Vik
I could recite the proper proceeder for diagnostics, bore scope examination as a minimum, but hey I live in the real world too
Yes, he's not wrong in telling you that.
start it and see, however if there is any problems such as ok but not 100% running right he should do compression test to confirm or dismiss valve damage
Any drop in compression on a cylinder or two will not really confirm valve problems, Only a head off and visual plus leak test will do that, the engine may well be worn more on those low cylinders and valves are ok
Any misfire on any cylinder would point to valve damage however slight and running with a slight misfire if valve related will almost certainly burn out that valve over a given period, it may take days or months to show up
Sorry to be the bearer of unwanted news but a head off inspection would be our minimum check, in order to guarantee a good repair
Your engine has bee identified as a Most Likely to suffer valve damage type, in the event of belt failure
Having said that engines that use push rods have a far better chance of running after replacing the rods and followers, than engines that use the overhead cam system (they die on the spot from cam belt failure)
Geo
Any one contemplating a cam belt change should have a full tensioner and pulley kit at the same time, and pay attention too and consider a water pump too if driven by the cam belt

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Geo,
{or any other knowledgeble folk !}
what sort of price would you be expected to be paying to have a cam belt and tensioner replaced , on a fiat like ours please ? I'm going to get ours booked in before we have in reupholstered. Then theres no chance of them muckying it up whist doing it !
Bev

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Geo is quite correct the engine's cylinder head really does need to be taken off and inspected, the push rods have been bent by the pistons hitting the valves because of the cambelt slip.

A valve even minutely bent will cause low compression with smoking etc, if the piston has hit the valves hard enough they too could be damaged.

Sorry but I don't think this is a quick fix

Regards Pat

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Geo,
{or any other knowledgeble folk !}
what sort of price would you be expected to be paying to have a cam belt and tensioner replaced , on a fiat like ours please ? I'm going to get ours booked in before we have in reupholstered. Then theres no chance of them muckying it up whist doing it !
Bev

I think from memory I paid about £230 at my local Garage. If your near to Geo you could get it booked in with him to ensure its done properly. I have told a story many times how I was charged by someone who did not even change the belt (I soon got my money back though when I showed him I had an idea of what I was talking about)

Geo lives a little far from me to go to to get it done. But as said the £230 I paid was way cheaper than Geo's quote of £231 ::bigsmile:

If your van is coming up to 5 years then get it done. dont take the chance, like many you wont do the miles.

But remember, any cam belt change/installation is only as god as the quality mechanic whom puts it on and or chooses decent quality kits to do it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think from memory I paid about £230 at my local Garage. If your near to Geo you could get it booked in with him to ensure its done properly. I have told a story many times how I was charged by someone who did not even change the belt (I soon got my money back though when I showed him I had an idea of what I was talking about)

Geo lives a little far from me to go to to get it done. But as said the £230 I paid was way cheaper than Geo's quote of £231 ::bigsmile:

If your van is coming up to 5 years then get it done. dont take the chance, like many you wont do the miles.

But remember, any cam belt change/installation is only as god as the quality mechanic whom puts it on and or chooses decent quality kits to do it.
That was with hook up and coffee
Things have gone up a touch since then and of course the cost and quality of parts argument allways come into play
Im paying £80 plus for a kit some on here pointed out he gets them for £35 of e bay, Good luck to him:Doh:
So prices will vary accordingly, and you dont have to pay for the Fiat name on parts to get top notch,:RollEyes:
Fiat make nothing they buy all parts in, its knowing where from:winky:
Geo

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks Paul,
At least we know an idea of how much to expect.
We'd be getting a mechanic friend of Ralph's to do it. He does commercial vehicles including Ralph's tipper truck .
( hence getting it done before being reupholstered , he looks like a giant grease monster :ROFLMAO:)
Its the same bloke that kindly gave us the nearly new Trojan batteries . Good bloke we'd trust him to do a good job :thumb: Ralph knows what to look for too.
We've been meaning to get it done , but you know what its like, always something else. Ours is a 2006 Fiat.

Someone else's misfortune always tends to jog you on though.
What a nightmare for Brodie. Hope she gets everything sorted sooner , rather than later. So they can still go on holiday.
Bev

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If your mechanic cant fit a cambelt without mucking up the interior show him where the bonnet is:Doh: He's approching the job from the wrong end:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Being a HGV chap think your self luck he dont want to rip the cab off:whatthe:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just incase he goes inside the cab to move it , Geo , im a bit of a clean freak:winky:
And Ralphs even more so:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
You may have heard the fireworks from some distance I have just broken it to Rich that there is not a cat in hells chance that I am going in it again.

I have just unpacked all my stuff but left his and the kids good luck to him on his own in France with 3 of them! He can do what he wants with it i'm sick of it all.....back to the grind of the housework.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't give up just yet Brodie, WHERE IS TOUR SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE :thumb:what yr, make and engine size is it ? I may know a man who can get you a complete engine gteed cheaply :winky: I got mucky (helped ) and paid a man £250 to change a complete engine in the day.He said he could do it on his own but extra hands are always helpful :ROFLMAO:
terry
forgot to say it was a builders van last year.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
You may have heard the fireworks from some distance I have just broken it to Rich that there is not a cat in hells chance that I am going in it again.

I have just unpacked all my stuff but left his and the kids good luck to him on his own in France with 3 of them! He can do what he wants with it I'm sick of it all.....back to the grind of the housework.

Wait and see what happens with it first Vik . Dont give up yet. Even if , worse case scenario , you have to cancel France. You know you can still get it sorted and use it as you normally would .
Where in South Yorks are you BTW?
We are on the edge of Wakefield.
Thought i heard some rumbling over the fields.
Thought it was thunder:ROFLMAO: :winky:
We are off to a temp holiday site in Scarborough for a few days tomorrow.
I know its not France , but you could go to a THS for a few days , to give it a run out, make sure your happy about it, before heading off , if you have time ?
Bev

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As they say it aint over till the Fat Mechanic sings and
I did leave you with some hope:thumb:
Geo

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Stuff happens (I prefer the other version but this is a family site:ROFLMAO:), at the end of the day it's just a mecahnical failure, they happen, yes it's a bore when it's a big one but once your sorted you can get back to the fun and before long it'll be a memory.

Keep smiling, and repack, you wouldn't really want to stay at home now would you?:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back