Up to date situation on the Calais problems? (1 Viewer)

lisab

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Romsley, Worcs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are intending to cross the channel late August and having finished work on Tues. evening packed van and set of from home Wed. am, we should arrive in Calais at 1700 ish. So its our intention to stay on Calais plage aire for the night before heading south next day, to start the holiday off relaxing, rather then thundering off down the autoroute.

We were there in June - just a day or 2 before the activist troubles and there was a large police presence. We didnt feel threatened and we dont stray far from the van only eating and drinking close by and visiting Dr Petry 5 mins walk away for the doggie passport bit. The aire was busy and heavy brit presence! Although we avoided Carrefour in favour of Auchan after chatting to others who had been and seen high security and snipers on the roof at Cite de L'Europe!

However the last couple of days the papers have been banging the drum about the attacks and stuff again, obviously we would take the proper precautions and there are beware of the dog signs on our van! Plus we are two vans travelling together, so has anyone been lately and noticed any more threatening behaviour from the immigrants.

Thanks in advance before we change our plans.

:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi,
we are off in a little under two weeks. I have seen the attacks etc that you talk about but only in the papers. There is a large debate on outandaboutlive whereby the pipe and slipper brigade are debating it. Might be worth a look.

Looks like a lot of scaremongering but, I personaly will not be using calais aire, choosing to stay 20 miles or so away. |For the sake of 20 miles I dont see the point of risking the safety of mine or my family.

I did once have an atercation with some aggressive beggers whereby I insisted on telling them I don't speak english, this threw them a bit.:winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im thinking of greasing the front cap of the Rv for next week:thumb: that should stop em sticking to the front :thumb:
and just in case, im taking one of those 3 pronged garden rakes to get em out of the grill:RollEyes:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
stopping in calais

i normally keep on going and try to get past brussels when it's fairly quiet.
the RO can be a bugger

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ritaderek

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
Exp
calais stopover

We are intending to cross the channel late August and having finished work on Tues. evening packed van and set of from home Wed. am, we should arrive in Calais at 1700 ish. So its our intention to stay on Calais plage aire for the night before heading south next day, to start the holiday off relaxing, rather then thundering off down the autoroute.

We were there in June - just a day or 2 before the activist troubles and there was a large police presence. We didnt feel threatened and we dont stray far from the van only eating and drinking close by and visiting Dr Petry 5 mins walk away for the doggie passport bit. The aire was busy and heavy brit presence! Although we avoided Carrefour in favour of Auchan after chatting to others who had been and seen high security and snipers on the roof at Cite de L'Europe!

However the last couple of days the papers have been banging the drum about the attacks and stuff again, obviously we would take the proper precautions and there are beware of the dog signs on our van! Plus we are two vans travelling together, so has anyone been lately and noticed any more threatening behaviour from the immigrants.

Thanks in advance before we change our plans.

:winky:
We always get a late ferry and stay in the port that night. Just leave the port and reenter as if you were going back to the uk There is a large parking area that is secure and always has campers waiting to return to Uk. You don't have to go into the check in area as the parking is to the right and before CI and you can get off in the morning without any bother ( there is also wcs and I think showers in the terminal building that are also accessible from the car park)
R&D

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Calais troubles

I was there on July 6th.
Were awoken by youths playing in the back of the trucks that also park there
In the morning, they had apparently smashed a window of another MH nearby.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We came back on Tuesday and didn`t have any problems we parked on the marina lorry park and the only noise was about 6 am when the lorries went. Cheers Rob W

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Calais Troubles??

Went on the 7th for a week had an exceptional time for our 1st time abroad with our van, no trouble either way at Calais, and certainly no trouble while on Aires in Lille,Rouen,Brittany,Dieppe,Eurodisney and Martagny, as long as you use your grey matter then you really cannot go wrong, we thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and the people!! and the French have got it so right as far as Camping cars are concerned, it is a pity as usual we in this country are so behind the times.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back