Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Any suggestions on the best way to keep rats out when parked up for several weeks please. I recently parked ours up for 6 weeks outside our home in Spain, we live out in the country and when I got in the other evening I was horrified to find rat droppings. No damage or anything eaten through thank goodness but what's the best way to keep them out? Poisen is out of the question, we have dogs and I don't want to kill them just want them away fromour lovely motor home! I am considering an electronic plug in rat deterrent. Any advice, suggestions, or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
IMG_3401.JPG
yes(y) you could borrow my little dog she loves them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
I had mice once. I foolisly left some rice and other dried foodstuff in the cupboard ( all in plastic boxes now!). Once in it was really hard to get rid of them despite clearing everything out and cleaning thoroughly.
I tried humane traps, electronic deterrents, anti-mouse sachets (lavendar based), but none worked. Then someone on another forum suggested thise sheets you put in tumbl dryers and it worked. They are pleasant to smell so I put a sheet in places where I thought they were coming in. I still do from time to time and will in the winter as the MH is warm and welcoming!

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Do you have any idea where they are gaining access?
Try the electronic plugs it might work for you, ratty in our loft totally ignores ours. We are currently trying out raw sweet potato which is supposed to be poisonous to them.
Sorry, don't have any suggestion for keeping them out but here is a list of other foods which are poisonous to them (actually warnings on food not to give rats from a rat fan club site). Good luck.

• Bitter Almond – Bitter almonds may yield from 6 to 8% of hydrogen cyanide (Wikipedia Article), a deadly substance.
  • Blue Cheese – Contains Toxic Mold
  • Fats (from meats) – Rats do not have gall bladders and therefore they do not have the enzymes needed to digest the fat of meat (credit to spazrats).
  • Green Bananas – Inhibits starch digestion
  • Green Potato Skin and Eyes – Contains solanine, a toxin
  • Licorice – Contains a suspected neurotoxin
  • Orange Juice – May contain d-limonene which can cause kidney cancer in male rats
  • Poppy Seeds – Can cause neurological damage, or may cause death!
  • Raw Artichokes – Inhibits protein digestion
  • Raw Bulk Tofu – May contain bacteria (packaged tofu is safe)
  • Raw Dry Beans or Peanuts – Contain anti-nutrients, causes red blood cell clumping (note: the peanuts that you buy in stores are almost always roasted so are okay. Frozen beans from veggie mixes are okay because they have been pre-cooked)
  • Raw Onion – Can lead to anemia and an upset stomach
  • Raw Red Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts – Contains an anti-nutrient that destroys thiamin
  • Raw Sweet Potato – Contains cyanide-forming compounds
  • Rhubarb – Contains high levels of oxalates which bind up calcium
  • Wild Insects – May carry parasites

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I leave an onion and garlic in my fridge and oven. . I put garlic cloves around the van on floor. I spray seats and bed with lavender oil .. I wipe floor down with water with lavender or peppermint oil in. I PUT TUMBLE DRYER SHEETS IN CUPBOARD. I SOAK A CLOTH WITH STRONG BLEACH AND LEAVE INSIDE BY HABITATION DOOR .. also by pedals driver's side and anywhere else where is a gap I think they could squeeze in .. mice only need pencil sized hole. Repeat every few weeks ..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We use bait boxes for rodenticides which are not accessible to cats and dogs .
We place them outside around the buildings and mhome and so far any rotting smellies have been outside.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think the answer may be your location. :( Try Skegness. (y) It's a proven fact that Ratus Ratus cannot survive in a sunny sea breeze. (y) One whiff of the bracing sea air, and *BUMP*, dead rat.
Pack up at once and head for Skeggy. You will find that all the rats will leave your truck at Calais, and go live with all the other rats in The Jungle.
Fair weather, blue seas and a rodent free existence awaits you!! :):)

Reactions: adt
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I leave an onion and garlic in my fridge and oven. . I put garlic cloves around the van on floor. I spray seats and bed with lavender oil .. I wipe floor down with water with lavender or peppermint oil in. I PUT TUMBLE DRYER SHEETS IN CUPBOARD. I SOAK A CLOTH WITH STRONG BLEACH AND LEAVE INSIDE BY HABITATION DOOR .. also by pedals driver's side and anywhere else where is a gap I think they could squeeze in .. mice only need pencil sized hole. Repeat every few weeks ..

SO you like Rodents then Joy..................................................................or is it for Vampires?? :confused::p

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We have 6 traps we set loaded with peanut butter set about the van when it is left in storage. Caught 6 in the first few weeks and then nothing since .
Maybe they got the hint after seeing their mates demise?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you know where the rat holes are, then you could do what the New York pest control people are doing.

They ram a bunch of dry ice down the hole then cover it up. The dry ice sublimates to CO2 which suffocates the buggers while they are in their nest. No rotten corpses to find and it gets the whole nest in one go. You can usually get dry ice delivered to most places.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
They ram a bunch of dry ice down the hole then cover it up. The dry ice sublimates to CO2 which suffocates the buggers while they are in their nest. No rotten corpses to find and it gets the whole nest in one go. You can usually get dry ice delivered to most places.
That's interesting .... do you reckon it might work with bl@@4y moles?:mad:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Plug all the openings with steel wool, they don't like it.

Yes .. forgot that. Bung squashed brillo pads in any little holes you may think they can use or in cupboards under sink where the drain pipes don't fit snug to shelves in case they climb up waste water pipe.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Eek my worst nightmare as I suffer from musophobia ! :(

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I have six circular drop vents going through the double floors and suspected that they were using them to gain entry,
luckily I found that plastic practice golf balls fitted tightly, these have many holes so the vents still work as designed but without the rodents getting in

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That's interesting .... do you reckon it might work with bl@@4y moles?:mad:

Unlikely. Moles are used to surviving in very high CO2 environment, they will have longer to escape than a rat would. You would need to make sure ALL the moles routes of exit were blocked before doing it. My guess is that if you were to get a few people all banging dry ice down mole holes after blocking as many as you could find it might then work. I don't honestly know. It just won't be as easy as rats.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Unlikely. Moles are used to surviving in very high CO2 environment, they will have longer to escape than a rat would. You would need to make sure ALL the moles routes of exit were blocked before doing it. My guess is that if you were to get a few people all banging dry ice down mole holes after blocking as many as you could find it might then work. I don't honestly know. It just won't be as easy as rats.

Sounds like there my be a game of Whack-a-mole in the offing ;)
whackamole_zpsz3rylydy.jpg

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

And thats why Joy doesn't,t have many two legged visitors to her van either.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like there my be a game of Whack-a-mole in the offing ;)

That's true, they would pop their heads up and if you were quick you could grab them with gloves on and relocate them.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've not had a rodent problem thank goodness but I have on good authority been told that they hate the smell given off by tumble dryer sheets. Apparently if you get a packet and pull up the top one and leave it until the smell subsides then lift up the next. My mate had a problem, put 3 or 4 boxes around the Moho and problem gone!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We had a "lodger" in our roof last winter. Some one on here had probs with mice ( Think it was @yodel ) I tried one of those Cage traps baited with Chocolate or blue cheese, without success.

Finally got success with alternating Red rat poison with Blue.
Red is stronger than Blue

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
I think the answer may be your location. :( Try Skegness. (y) It's a proven fact that Ratus Ratus cannot survive in a sunny sea breeze. (y) One whiff of the bracing sea air, and *BUMP*, dead rat.
Pack up at once and head for Skeggy. You will find that all the rats will leave your truck at Calais, and go live with all the other rats in The Jungle.
Fair weather, blue seas and a rodent free existence awaits you!! :):)
I live right by the sea and there are rats all around. Cromer pier has a rat problem too so I doubt that sea air is a problem to rats!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I use giant metal rat traps in engine compartment & also peppermint as apparently they don't like the smell. but outside I use glue mats. I'll bait the metal rat traps with peanut butter & stick it inside a ring of glue mats. As @pappajohn & others have said they'll never get off.
You can also buy here the glue in tubes to coat beams & pergolas etc.

The ones I use are " Roe-glue" trampa adhesivo, & made by Masso , as is the liquid glue & poison pellets & all are available in any ferreteria.
You need to find out where they are getting in to the motorhome as fortuanetly I've never had that problem only with them wanting to inhabit the engine compartment. I also use a sonic alarm inside the MH & change frequency on it once or twice a week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back