"Unusual traffic from your computer network" HELP Please (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
update.. all sorted..

the culprit was my daughter's laptop (no surprise ) :rolleyes:

her laptop was infested with aps, toolbars, and software that she had no idea about.. she never downloaded anything.. honest dad.. I only use FB.. (said with a straight face) .. not me :pinocchio:

It took me half a day to clean it up .. software that was incredibly difficult to delete.. it kept reinstalling itself, .. eventually I had to use Revo uninstaller to get rid of it.. Malware .. wow .. I have never seen Malwarebytes find so much..

after deleting all the crap, a final sweep with CCleaner .. another 1.5 gig of crap deleted..

I have warned her.. " Chaz, any more and it goes in the bin" (siad with my sternest voice) . .. she said .. yeah yeah ok dad.. :lips:

I didn't find this initially as she was at school, I didn't have her password. and I didn't realize her laptop wasn't shut down.. :mad::doh:
Those of us who have daughters Jim....we understand.;)

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Well done malware can be a pain if allowed to infest. I do beta testing for checkpoint technologies for their Zone Alarm internet suite and up to now has kept all my laptops and netbooks clear of viruses & malware. None of them are 100% but it is always advisable to have a good firewall & antivirus software installed.
I also use ccleaner which is very good and auslogics for disk defragging.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
None of them are 100% but it is always advisable to have a good firewall & antivirus software installed.

yes indeed,.... but it doesn't protect from self inflicted injuries..

kids get fooled into downloading stuff not realising how much harm it can do .. free games and stuff that come with toolbars and search engines that take over the browser .

adults also get caught by not reading the download instructions with free software, and just clicking 'accept' without un-ticking or ticking the appropriated boxes.. then end up with a load of crap installed...

the old fashioned virus has not gone away but it is more common now to get malware and other junk bundled with free games and other software.. even reputable software companies try this trick..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
adults also get caught by not reading the download instructions with free software, and just clicking 'accept' without un-ticking or ticking the appropriated boxes.. then end up with a load of crap installed...

Yep, took me ages to get rid of the nastie from hubby's laptop. Then last night he wanted to download some freeware (I'd checked it out and no problem reported) but I managed to stop him just as he was about to download another "free" program alongside it. The program he wanted had a tiny "download now" button and other a massive flashing "download" button. Phew......

I had to gently point out that it was the extra (tracking) download that paid the developer not the program that was being given away free. :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yep, took me ages to get rid of the nastie from hubby's laptop. Then last night he wanted to download some freeware (I'd checked it out and no problem reported) but I managed to stop him just as he was about to download another "free" program alongside it. The program he wanted had a tiny "download now" button and other a massive flashing "download" button. Phew......

I had to gently point out that it was the extra (tracking) download that paid the developer not the program that was being given away free. :)

yes, I think most have been caught out with it.. once bitten twice shy..

One that annoys me is Adobe free download for PDF reader .. I bet it's caught a few with it's dirty tactics.. you have to untick or you end up installing McAfee security scan plus.. there should be a rule against this kind of underhand tactic...

The big yellow button draws your eye and you don't see the tick box already with the tick in place :mad:
Capture.PNG

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
y
The big yellow button draws your eye and you don't see the tick box already with the tick in place :mad:

Yes, it was very similar to that. Luckily he is very cautious after last time and asked me to confirm what he was about to click on :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
yes, I think most have been caught out with it.. once bitten twice shy..

One that annoys me is Adobe free download for PDF reader .. I bet it's caught a few with it's dirty tactics.. you have to untick or you end up installing McAfee security scan plus.. there should be a rule against this kind of underhand tactic...

View attachment 54875
I always use the chippies statement of measure twice and cut once. Dont press anything until you are 100% sure.(y) I agree McAfee is a con.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back