Unusual query!

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by WynandJean, Oct 19, 2014.

1. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Never considered this. My brother is visiting UK next week (not in m/h) and has asked a question I don't know the answer to. What's the best way to manage money? I use a Caxton card when travelling in the Eurozone but how does it work the other way round?
    Is it a case of carry cash or pay conversion + transaction charges at ATM's.

Any suggestions?

Wyn

2. The Wino

The Wino Funster

I suppose it would depend on what was available from the card providers and banks in the country he's coming from. He might find it cheaper to do a bigger transfer into your account and you sub him (just an idea) or you sub him in pounds when in the UK and vice versa in euros in europe but could get complicated.

David

• Like Like x 1
  3. nomadic

nomadic Funster

The Post Office offer good exchange rates on line, and he can collect from a nominated local post office.
    Also, Weston Union are offering good rates locally, just now, but its worth looking at Thomas Cook also just now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Yes he's quite happy carrying cash around but his o/h is a bit concerned. It's too late to investigate what cards to go for, they wouldn't arrive in time. Don't think there are many options now.

Wyn

5. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I have nearly always got a good exchange rate for cash at a bureau de change, just changed cash at the Forex in Sweden, which was as near as dammit close to the best online rate.

• Like Like x 1