unused spare wheel.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Steve, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

I have just had i look round the van and thought TYRES so checked that none of the leds were red but check pressures anyway, all OK. Check spare, as new never been on the road. but now 10 years old. Two on front are 2012 and backs 2010 so hopefully wont need any just yet. Do i let it be or not?
    Steve

2. Bellini

Bellini Funster

For the minimal additional cost, I'd replace.

As a spare, you want peace of mind. Maximise your chances as the cost of it failing will be far more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Probably too late now, but you should rotate the spare onto a real axle after a couple of years so it has a chance to get some wear, although it doesn't matter so much if you are low mileage, as even the main road wheels will still be age expired, rather than wear.

• Like Like x 1
  4. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I changed all 4 tyres last year as they were showing sign of cracking but the fitter said spare was fine as was under the van and as never been used if wazoo for a spare if required to get us to a tyre centre bearing in mind that if is unlikely that we would attempt to change wheel on MH but probably call outbreakdown service

• Like Like x 1
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I simply keep the best looking tyre as a spare when fitting new ones to the axles. I know it will be old but not as old as if it was the original spare & it would only be used to get me to a tyre depot.