unplugging sat nav ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by greyman1, Mar 6, 2014.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

ive noticed that on a number of adverts for the [cheaper / chinese] truck sat navs, they state that the charger MUST be unplugged when starting the vehicle to avoid damage . is this something just applicable to these units or is it the same with all aftermarket sat navs ?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't know the technical answer but as far as I am concerned it is good practice to unplug the sat nav when the engine is off, especially if the socket used is permanently live as otherwise it would be draining the battery.

3. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i aint totally sure but there is a risk of a power serge so always best to unplug if there is a slight increase when you crank the engine over then it can damage the sat nav

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

when you start the engine the voltage at the socket drops, quite considerably..
    I personally can't see why that would damage the sat nav.. but if that's what they say....

Have never done that with my TT and it's 7 years old..

5. greyman1

thanks guys, the suppliers are probably just being cautious to avoid any comebacks perhaps .

6. WillH

WillH Funster

I have blown a couple of 12v usb chargers on start up so now always unplug before starting up, there is a voltage drop when the starter kicks in but then a voltage spike when the alternator starts producing voltage. Haven't had one fail since I changed my habits.

Rgds
    Bill

7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Must admit, I didnt see that directive on my Chinese sat-nav! Started up a few times, no effect to the screen or the unit. I will check the instructions again.

8. greyman1

yeah it seems to have been added on as a afterthought to a few of the 7" truck sat nav edverts on ebay . the reason i think it my be a pain in the arse for me to comply with was, i am thinking of getting one that i could plug a reversing camera into and the palarva of unplugging and waiting to plug it back in after starting up before i could even reverse, would drive me mad !!! funny thing is , the stand alone reversing camera and monitor kits dont seem to mention anything about having to be disconnected upon start up !!

9. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

It's not just the cheaper ones. My Snooper Ventura says the same thing.

Which is odd, because they also supply a kit to hard wire it. It can still be unplugged, but with more difficulty, because it's a lot easier to pull the cigar lighter plug out than the small plug on the other end connecting it to the unit.

10. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I wonder if that is with 12 24volt types that at 24volts perhaps cannot stand any spikes

11. mentaliss

mentaliss

just as you should do when disconnecting a USB pen drive, Back up hard drive, SSD Hard drive, via USB connection to your computer.. either click on right hand corner to remove drive safely or turn off the computer first:Laughing::Laughing: