Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
ive noticed that on a number of adverts for the [cheaper / chinese] truck sat navs, they state that the charger MUST be unplugged when starting the vehicle to avoid damage . is this something just applicable to these units or is it the same with all aftermarket sat navs ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know the technical answer but as far as I am concerned it is good practice to unplug the sat nav when the engine is off, especially if the socket used is permanently live as otherwise it would be draining the battery.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i aint totally sure but there is a risk of a power serge so always best to unplug if there is a slight increase when you crank the engine over then it can damage the sat nav

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ive noticed that on a number of adverts for the [cheaper / chinese] truck sat navs, they state that the[HI] charger MUST be unplugged when starting[/HI] the vehicle to avoid damage . is this something just applicable to these units or is it the same with all aftermarket sat navs ?

when you start the engine the voltage at the socket drops, quite considerably..
I personally can't see why that would damage the sat nav.. but if that's what they say....

Have never done that with my TT and it's 7 years old..

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks guys, the suppliers are probably just being cautious to avoid any comebacks perhaps .

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have blown a couple of 12v usb chargers on start up so now always unplug before starting up, there is a voltage drop when the starter kicks in but then a voltage spike when the alternator starts producing voltage. Haven't had one fail since I changed my habits.

Rgds
Bill

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Must admit, I didnt see that directive on my Chinese sat-nav! Started up a few times, no effect to the screen or the unit. I will check the instructions again.

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
yeah it seems to have been added on as a afterthought to a few of the 7" truck sat nav edverts on ebay . the reason i think it my be a pain in the arse for me to comply with was, i am thinking of getting one that i could plug a reversing camera into and the palarva of unplugging and waiting to plug it back in after starting up before i could even reverse, would drive me mad !!! funny thing is , the stand alone reversing camera and monitor kits dont seem to mention anything about having to be disconnected upon start up !!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
ive noticed that on a number of adverts for the [cheaper / chinese] truck sat navs, they state that the charger MUST be unplugged when starting the vehicle to avoid damage . is this something just applicable to these units or is it the same with all aftermarket sat navs ?
It's not just the cheaper ones. My Snooper Ventura says the same thing.

Which is odd, because they also supply a kit to hard wire it. It can still be unplugged, but with more difficulty, because it's a lot easier to pull the cigar lighter plug out than the small plug on the other end connecting it to the unit.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I wonder if that is with 12 24volt types that at 24volts perhaps cannot stand any spikes

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

just as you should do when disconnecting a USB pen drive, Back up hard drive, SSD Hard drive, via USB connection to your computer.. either click on right hand corner to remove drive safely or turn off the computer first:roflmto::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back