LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Lost a mirror a couple of weeks ago when a lorry hit in going the opposite way.

Yesterday, 7pm, cambelt went on our way to Lymington in the New Forest, only 10 minutes away from site! RAC originally attended within an hour, guy turned up around 10.30 to lift us, but couldn't. Finally got loaded onto a low loader around 10 this morning and taken to our local garage. Now waiting the outcome: just hoping the cambelt was the failure as warranty is less than a year old. Other than that we'll have to pay - could be quite expensive if we do have to pay.

That's 2 things - hope Denise isn't pregnant, LOL!!!

Joe

OP
OP
denisejoe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don't know what it ate yet but it was definitely the cambelt as it was definitely hanging out of the cover.

Joe

OP
OP
denisejoe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Quick, break a match stick, that'll be your third.

Hope your cam belt is covered by your warranty.
So do we! As long as it hasn't dropped an injector it will be covered by warranty. Just going to do break a matchstick - now done, LOL! Just need to wait for a call from the garage, hopefully on Tuesday.

We already had it booked in for a service and MOT on Wednesday next week. Luckily the garage owner lived next door and was able to let us in today.

Joe

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Good to see your sperits are still up, mine would be down on the deck by now... Hope that's the last of your bad news. :frowny:

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Thats right everything is fixable, dont worry too much, i am sure all will turn out ok
pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
denisejoe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Phoned garage today for update. It has been stripped down and it was a stud had come loose on the tensioner. The owner said it isn't covered under warranty for the cambelt but they had changed it he would accept responsibility at no cost to us.

They have started putting it back together today so hopefully we'll get it back next week, after service & MOT have been done - so it hasn't been all bad luck:D:D(y)

Joe

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That's good news. Took my Volvo in for a new clutch today, ended up needing a new dual mass flywheel too, £822 lighter now :(

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
not a good way to lose weight.

OP
OP
denisejoe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just had a call from garage van will be ready tomorrow all back together and running ,we went up to see it on Saturday, engine was back together but on a stand so I asked them to change the clutch before they put it back.
Saw the head and damaged valves 2 were stuck in head, so complete new head springs and valves. Seemed funny seeing the van front 4ft in the air.

Joe

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I replace my cambelt every 50k and they always look like new when I see them. I read Honest John in the Telegraph and he makes quite a fuss about replacing cambelts on the due date.

My other concern though is brake pads. If you take it down to the point where the scraping noise starts the garage will likely insist on fitting new discs. Pads are expensive, discs and pads are bloody expensive.

OP
OP
denisejoe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
the cambelt was replaced last year but the studs holding the tensioner sheared; same result as the cambelt going except it damaged the water pump as well.

Joe

OP
OP
denisejoe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi all! Van back - very happy again:D

For anyone in the Kent area I can highly recommend http://tomsettkent.com, who has been absolutely brilliant in sorting this out. Could easily have said we'd dropped a valve or something and not covered the cost by the warranty, but instead paid out and did all the work no charge.

Has anyone heard of the studs shearing on the cambelt tensioner?

He's also serviced and MOT's the van but had to replace all 4 rear brake pads. So it now goes and stops:LOL:.

Joe

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie

For anyone in the Kent area I can highly recommend http://tomsettkent.com, who has been absolutely brilliant in sorting this out. Could easily have said we'd dropped a valve or something and not covered the cost by the warranty, but instead paid out and did all the work no charge.

He's also serviced and MOT's the van but had to replace all 4 rear brake pads. So it now goes and stops:LOL:.

Joe
I use to Tomsetts for all my motors especially my works van can't recomend them enough also Dave the owner is a keen motorhomer himself

OP
OP
denisejoe

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
He had his in working on it he said he is hopping to get away this weekend .
He told me he never had recovery as he could fix any motor but in France had an engine blow up £1500 later when recovered home changed his mind

Joe

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
That's good news. Took my Volvo in for a new clutch today, ended up needing a new dual mass flywheel too, £822 lighter now :(

My wifes mini D clutch at 29k would have cost over £2000

Thank god BMW paid for most of it (y)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I had a oil leak. my son has taken of the sump of my 25 year old m/h. and has put a new washer in. just waiting for a new gasket. hope to be back on the road soon.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Joe
image.jpg

This was my engine 200 miles after a belt change
Ended up a new engine
Piston holed and bore scratched much water through the exhaust

Water under the bridge now 6 years have passed since

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am really happy for you, under different circumstances this breakdown could have been a disaster.
Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back