Unlocked dongle (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
We met up with a couple of friends, for lunch, recently. They had just returned from Spain after a six month stay. During lunch the conversation turned to mobile broadband...we said we intended to unlock one of our dongles and purchase a local data card, on our next trip.

They said "hard luck mate" from October or November only nationals with a residential address will be allowed to purchase data cards...........has anyone else heard of this one............is it back to the library, or wifi????????:Doh:

Nomadic:

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
hi, when in Spain last Dec/Jan we read about a new law which said that all sims had to be registered by a certain date or they would be disabled. We bought a Carrefour sim to use in an unlocked phone without being asked for details but went back to register it later. I also bought a Vodafone sim and had to give UK address and passport number. They also said it could not be used for data but the procedure is to just put sufficient credit on and then text certain codes to a number to purchase various amounts of data.

This : Spain SIM cards - DATA ENABLED SIM CARDS - Unbeatable Prices - spainSIM.com

explains the basic system but you do not need one of their expensive sims. It may be a bit out of date by now tho. The data prices have dropped a lot since and some extra credit was added to the sim by Vodafone both for electronically registering and as special deals at the time. You have to top up every 9 months or lose the credit and if you don't do that then the number is lost after 12 months.

The Spanish Vodafone website also explains but I don't think it has an English section for data.

Vodafone: Telefonía Móvil

I don't know if they have now restricted things to Spanish residents only . The law was introduced to combat terrorist acts after the Madrid bombings, which were set off by mobile phone.

Alan

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
SIM cards

Hi

Have a word with the team at a firm called Phone Tek Nation based in Weston Super Mare.

Phone Tek-Nation

Russell

I will add that in Italy, it is necessary to produce a proof if Italian address and a codice fiscale - the latter being an Italian tax code number.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool:Yes. Things are changing. I had to buy another Sim chip back in January. They scannesd my Passport and took address details. So in theory? I am registered? :RollEyes:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Sim

Knee jerk reaction by the authorities if you ask me. All the terrorists will do is steal sims or mobiles. As usual the liberties of 'free' people are reduced even more.

I know, I know, in the scheme of things there are far more serious issues than not being able to buy sim cards in Spain but do we really want a world where everything has to be registered to everybody with the issue of personal privacy and the dangers that in itself creates where anybody with a criminal mind and the knowledge can steal private data?

Where will it stop? 2084 ..... introduction of registration law for shopping at the local Hyperstore before being eligible to purchase food?

It's bad enough with ID theft and credit/debit card fraud where databases are hacked and the data stolen.

It'll all end in tears you mark my word! :cry:

It's alright I'm cool now :Smile:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I read somewhere that unregistered phones here in England were to be switched off if not registered by a certain date.Anyone know more on that ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
:Cool:Yes. Things are changing. I had to buy another Sim chip back in January. They scannesd my Passport and took address details. So in theory? I am registered? :RollEyes:

Johnnadsandy

Thanks for ypur reply.

I am advised that "yoigo" cards are suited for mobile broadband, as they are limited to €1.20/day, cost €20.00 but not sure of its life, a month or more.:Angry:

They are available from yoigo, phonehouse and carrefour, so a good selection of supply points.:RollEyes:

Seems I will have to try the system, but as a visitor I could have a problem, we shall see!!:Blush:

Still with wifi at €28/month....unlimited.....I may go that way, although I have less faith in wifi, just now.

Nomadic

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
unlocked

Got a 3dongle unlocked just about and now works on 02 for only £10 a year,but bit slow

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Try this setting if you are having problems

Link Removed

Steve