LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
I am in the process of buying a Fiat Apache 2.8 700 se,.I have experience with RVS but not with Fiat so decided to look at the Fiat base forum upon reading lots of threads it seems to me to be a horror story from start to finish ie juddergate,fifth gear probs,clutch probs,front cross members,alco suspension greasing,water ingress,jumping out of gear,to name but a few.This goes on for page after page,Iam now wondering am I doing the right thing.Has anyone any good things to say about Fiat base vehicles?there must be some good ones as they sell so many,am i being to paranoid:Sad:?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i like our Fiat based motorhome, have had one now for past 6 years. first a euro 4 emissions now a euro 5. in my experience they drive like a car, have reasonable fuel economy ( getting 26.6 mpg at moment, thats with cruise control at 69mph on motorway ) i have a problem with an oil seal leak on first motorhome fixed quickly and efficiently under warranty, and the dreaded judder on the euro 4 which was again fixed under warranty no quibble. i know lots of others went through pain before Fiat agreed there was an issue.

i would recommend a reasonable test drive including reversing up a reasonable gradient if you are looking second hand to ensure one of the recommended mods have been carried out to the gearbox / mountings.

it certainly did not stop me buying our latest euro 5, which i think is excellent.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I wuld say that 90% of the vans I sell are Fiat based and have been for many years.

They are based on a commercial cab who do many 1000's of miles every year

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I've a 2004 apache 2.8 jtd,had it just over a year and so far its all good:thumb:

Vlad

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Phil this is an 03 model so no warranty with Fiat it has only done 29000 miles not had proper test drive yet as it is on a farm with its own country lane full of stones not the ideal place for a test drive.The person i'm buying from is selling it for his friend,and does'nt know a great deal about them although he owns the aston martin garage in birmingham he says his friend is a builder and to busy to use it and he has'nt used for 18 months ,the day before i veiwed it it was serviced new cam belt fitted and mot'd

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We are on our second Fiat.
The current one is 2000 Reg, has 67000 miles on it and is as sweet as a nut.
Italy last year and back the pretty way, South of France the year before, out and about in between.
Never murmured.
I'll have another when the time comes.
Don't forget Ducato, Relay and Boxer are more or less the same base vehicle.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
29k miles seems about average i am told the average motorhome does around 3000 miles a year.

my brother in law has an 04 only issue he has had has been recently with his main exhaust box developing a hole or 2.

i would be more concerned over the condition of the habitation ( water ingress etc ) than the chassis assuming the chassis ( fiat bit )has been regularly and properly serviced.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Third fiat motorhome, 80000 miles of trouble free motoring.

Personally wouldn't have anything else.:Cool:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I had a 1998 with 140000 miles on the clock, no problems. Travelled all over Europe with it. BUSBY::bigsmile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
1991 Fiat, one battery, one drive-shaft gaiter, one headlight bulb in 3 years .... ruddy unreliable ... :Sad:

but reverses up the steepest Derbyshire hills when faced with a clueless car driver unable to reverse in a straight line ...

Last edited:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Model specific forums are a great place to put the fear of G up anyone thinking of buying that vehicle

If you believe all that is written you would never buy any car/van/Motorhome etc.

Treat them with caution. In anything you buy there are always ones in the batch that may have problems and these are the ones that get written about.

Look around you and see how many of the model/make you want are on the roads and draw your own conclusions.

Advice on MHF is better than most, and you will get good opinions from people with long term experience.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've had Fiats in the past, no problem.

I think if you go on a forum for any vehicle you will find they are packed with problems that people have had, as those who have no problems do not post.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dave I had my previous 700 se (2005 model) for 5 years.. Great van and loved it..
2.8JTD with a remap was a great ride.. Only mechanical issues I had was wheel bearing and loose fuel fliter and that was fauly of garage after a service...

You saw my new 2012 apache 700 at Marjal and so far done 13,000 miles in the inc Morocco trip... I love layout... Get any questions let me know and I'll be at my mom's up the road on Tuesday if you wanna chat...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back