RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Compass 740
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
Driving home from the beach the other day I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the dashboard. It started enroute and now everytime I switch on the ignition this continuous annoying alarm goes off.

Picture 1: Doing some investigation I've found this little box, circled in white in the first picture from which the sound comes. Its live wire (red) is connected to a spade connector (circled green) and this in turn attaches to a fuse terminal. The fuse is for the Headlamp Wash (which I don't have) and the Tacho, which I do. The earth, or black wire is connected to a chocolate block (circled red) in which there is one other wire (red/brown). The chocolate block also has another wire in a separate connector (red/yellow) which seems to terminate at this point.

Alarm_01.jpg

Picture 2: Following the three wires from the fusebox they join a wiring loom and look like they make their way to the back of the van.

Alarm_02.jpg

Picture 3: In the wardrobe I've removed the fusebox and a Yellow/Brown wire is connected to what I believe is the Water Pump relay (HG4104L), circled in green.

Alarm_03.jpg

Things attempted:
  • Filled the water tank.
  • Emptied the waste tank.
  • Removed all fuses
  • Switched off all internal electrics
  • Contacted Scorpion Automotive who now support my Sigma M30 alarm/immobiliser and they tell me it's not part of their system.

I've recently fitted a 100W solar panel in readiness for an extended stay without EHU but that was three weeks ago and have driven the van a number of times since then. I thought maybe it could be a battery charge overload but both batteries are in the green.

As a last resort I've removed the alarm and I am rewarded with silence but please, can anyone tell me what might be causing the alarm to go off.

T.I.A.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that sort of buzzer is commonly fitted to warn that the electric step is not fully retracted. normally fixed by cleaning the switch on the step

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The buzzer for our electric step is so loud we have to carry a defibrillator to revive me after it goes off. But another vote for the step - assuming there is one. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
Thanks, that was one of the options I was told about but I don't have an electric step. At least, I don't think I do. Only had the van three years so I'd better check in the morning.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
My previous van had a buzzer for external locker door open as well as the step. Sometimes the door switch needed a wobble to clean the contacts (sometimes I had to get out and close the locker properly :))

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Are any of your habitation area locker/boot doors alarmed with press in switches (as opposed to those white sensor things)?

One of ours on the boot door used to work loose in its mount from vibration, slacken off until it was open then sound a buzzer on the dashboard. Drove me crackers until I worked out what it was.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Do you have a tow bar? could it be the buzzer for the indicators when a trailer is attached.

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Van's a bit old for door sensor alarms but I'll have a look in the morning. I'm fairly certain all of the locker doors were shut.

These are all things I've not tested so I'm hoping something will sort it out.

Note to self, refit alarm wire before testing otherwise I'll think I've fixed it.

The van is a Compass Cruiser 740, c2001.

Done the water and waste tanks.

No tow bar though I do have a Fiamma bike rack.

Thanks for all of the replies guys, all food for thought.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The buzzer for our electric step is so loud we have to carry a defibrillator to revive me after it goes off. But another vote for the step - assuming there is one. :)
Our new Hymer is like that especially the drivers door one jolly site louder than the last van.

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Guys, many thanks for your responses. Despite my protestations about not having an electric step, which I don't, I DO have a step sensor.

My wife is disabled and doesn't like to use the built in step as it moves when she steps on it so we have a 'box' which sits on the floor instead. The step hasn't been used since we've had the van, which, as I've said, is three years.

Sure enough, the step must have moved in recent weeks and the rubber encased switch was not being compressed, therefore causing the alarm to activate. Push the button, alarm stops. Simple as that.

Now all I need to do is put the front of the van dashboard and fuse box housing back and we're good to go.

Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back