Union Jack

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Portland, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Portland

Portland Funster

Here we are at Almerimar parking aire and we are having great banter with Pedro because he is flying the Jack upside down and he says he will change it if we decide to stay in the EU. No chance
    Otherwise a good stopping place.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mike4727

Mike4727 Funster

Here is a bit more banter that you can have with Pedro, the flag he is flying is in fact the Union Flag, it is only called the Union Jack when flown on the jack stay of British warships flying the white ensign or other British registered boats empowered by royal warrant to fly the blue ensign. With a name like Pedro though - he can be forgiven :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Erect a Flag of St George upside down - that'll confuse him . . . . :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Thank you Mike you beat me to it, one thing though I think it is any British registered vessel not just Warships. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Mike4727

Mike4727 Funster

Hi popeye, I'm pretty sure it is only British vessels carrying the royal warrant, also it is requirement to hoist at dawn and lower at dusk, mind you things may have changed - I have been out of that game for a long time now :)

6. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Chief British Vexillologist stated in 2013 that the term '' Jack '' could only be used when the Union Flag is flown from a Jack staff at sea is incorrect . . . I personally have no idea :)

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Also... Flying it upside down, wasn't that meant to be like a distress or warning signal ???
    Or is that an Urban myth..

Since someone explained the right way it should go I look at every flag i see to check..

8. Boycie

Boycie Funster

The Union Jack or The Union Flag?

When the ‘Union Jack’ was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as ‘the British flag’ or ‘the flag of Britain’, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name ‘Union’ appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the ‘Union Jack’, but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word ‘jack’ as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just ‘the Jack’, or ‘Jack flag’, or ‘the King’s Jack’, but by 1674, while formally referred to as ‘His Majesty’s Jack’, it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd)

• Informative Informative x 5
  9. Detnor

Detnor Funster

union1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Surprising how many union flags are flown upside down. I always look when passing one and have done since my boy scouting days :LOL:

11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

He's obviously in distress because he ran aground.:rolleyes:

It's one of my pet hates to see the Union Flag inverted and have been known (much against Mrs icr wishes) to knock on doors to explain to the perpetrators the error of their ways.

I'm sure some countries would treat their flags being upside-down as a treasonable offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

A little ironic that you object to flying one union flag upside down but want to leave the union......

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Also known in certain circles as "The Butcher's Apron"

14. xsparks

xsparks Funster

I recall several years ago hearing Ian Paisley declaring that no one had the right to fly the flag of his country upside down . At the time I thought he was probably the only person that had noticed it on some building in Belfast.

15. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Anyone know why it doesn't have symmetry?

Dick

16. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

T
    The Cote D'ivory (Ivory Coast) flag
    [​IMG]

Becomes the Irish Flag when the pole is on the other side.
    [​IMG]

As can be seen Belfast Loyalists don't know the difference
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Anyone know why the Union Flag does not have symmetry?

Dick

18. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I didn't but luckily Google did (y):D

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Not a sea farer but as far as i know......its not just British registered vessels, ALL ships/boats MUST fly the flag of their country of registration uppermost on the mast.
    Any other flags can be flown below it..

20. rangitira

rangitira Funster

As a general rule the country ensign is only flown ON the mast while the Vessal is at sea, in port it's flown on the staff at the after end.
    Other flags, ie; company house flag, signal flags, (pilot on board, I require Pilot, require doctor etc) and guest country ensign are flown on a halliard from the cross tree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1