Unilever profiteering (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you're expecting a massive change in the immigration policy after brexit, I'm afraid you are going to be very disappointed.

We shall see,,i have not got a crystal ball but up here in Derbyshire we are not really affected by immigration,,,,BUSBY,,,:D:D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We shall see,,i have not got a crystal ball but up here in Derbyshire we are not really affected by immigration,,,,BUSBY,,,:D:D
Really, are you sure?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36568115

We shall indeed see. Personally the only thing changing after brexit is much higher prices for everything, other than that, nothing will change.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Surely, if the supermarkets don't stock 'em, how can you Boycott them?
Just another case of the "Blame every thing on Brexit" Talk down the UK, moan, snipe, grizzle, retire back under your stone, and wait for the EU Sun to shine again, to feel their economic whip on your back, while eating their straight Bananas, Yes! all is well with the world we are one again!

Sarcastic?

MOI? Surely not?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Talking about Germany. They will have to pick up the Slack in funding the EU when we leave. They will have to find another £8.5Bn each year to cover what we used to pay. They really will become the EU's cash point as France can't help....

Which makes me curious about something... Do we pay the EU £8.5Bn in which case they are much better off now. Or do we pay a fixed price in € in which case we are paying a lot more than the £8.5Bn?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you're expecting a massive change in the immigration policy after brexit, I'm afraid you are going to be very disappointed.

Agree ... The major reason that so many of the leave brigade voted as they did was because of the amount of foreign people in and entering the UK .

Don't misunderstand I share those concerns but immigration is extremely unlikely to slow down or change .

We will now have a period of some companies doing not so well and others who will do very well as exporters will sell more. We also IMO will see price rises in most ares rise in the short term at least.

Next the clothing shops have announced today that the clothing they sell will have to rise in price cos it is of course mostly imported.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Even with Brexit Eastern Europeans will still pick veg but only when needed,,they won't be able to live in UK full time,,,BUSBY.
They do already. :LOL:

What are you basing that on, everything I have seen so far from the government guarantees them the right to live here?
The government guarantee's nothing.Gov. are only spouting all that nonsense so as not to encourage hoards to pour in before the actual 2 year cut off date.
Those already in & for over 5 years , like me , have vested rights under the 'Vienna convention on treaties'. Over 10 years , like me, & you are basically a national without the passport.(y)
Those that already live here yes,,,BUSBY,,,
Why do you want more to come in then ?:giggle:

Talking about Germany. They will have to pick up the Slack in funding the EU when we leave. They will have to find another £8.5Bn each year to cover what we used to pay. They really will become the EU's cash point as France can't help....

Which makes me curious about something... Do we pay the EU £8.5Bn in which case they are much better off now. Or do we pay a fixed price in € in which case we are paying a lot more than the £8.5Bn?
I'll give you a clue ; they are all european & the EU currency is the euro ? can you see were it is going ?:D

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'll give you a clue ; they are all european & the EU currency is the euro ? can you see were it is going ?:D

I guessed that might be the case. So £8.5Bn at €1.31 = €11.14Bn.... So if they still want to get €11.14Bn we now have to pay them £10Bn :eek::eek::eek::eek:. Jeez getting out of this club is expensive :whistle::D

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
A lot more to come a surprise every week for years to come, we don't have a clue what is to be the outcome and no one knew at the time of the vote, yet 33 million people voted all expecting different things.??? What a classic.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
I am amazed that peeps think Tesco is some sort of consumer champion! After dealing with them for 30 years until retirement I can assure you that they have only one concern and that is their own bottom line. I have seen many suppliers taken to the wall by Tesco. They are not averse to any dirty trick you can think of. Of all the major supermarkets they are the most aggressive with suppliers. They do manage the media quite well though!

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Well, that didn't take long to sort out. Everyone in a frenzy. Deal Done! I bet it wasn't a 10 per cent rise.
Tesco shares are up and Unilever down.
I wonder who came out on top!;)
Now Marmite eaters can sleep soundly(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Oh well, at least we will be £8.5-£9Bn a year better off once we leave :p

I don't know the amount of UK's import/export deficit but I suspect that GBP's fall from grace might have wiped out that saving already.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't know the amount of UK's import/export deficit but I suspect that GBP's fall from grace might have wiped out that saving already.
Exports are going up because our stuff is cheaper. Imports will fall because their stuff is more expensive. I think you have it the wrong way round. This is good for our Trade Deficit.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Exports are going up because our stuff is cheaper. Imports will fall because their stuff is more expensive. I think you have it the wrong way round. This is good for our Trade Deficit.
Which in August, when things were going well & pound worth a few bob they managed to reduce the deficit by 100million pounds. ?? :(& that's the best month this year. :( there's no hope of it ever being in surplus again I don't believe. :cry: & the same for most other countries; apart from the Norwegians.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Exports will be cheaper unless we buy the basic materials abroad. Our trade with the eu is app. 200 billion we purchase from the eu 290billion. So yes we will be able to buy from where we like after the exit, what worries me is where are we going to increase our export trade above the present levels if we do not increase our manufacturing base, which we all know has been increasingly reduced over the last 30 years, apart from car making which will only draw more investment if we stay in the eu free market place, which is another problem if we have to accept free movement of people.
Glad I am not pm ( unlikely anyway) May is welcome to it.
Anyone know how I can get a French or other eu passport !!,

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The whole thing is just 1 big money racket, if they cannot supply the goods competitively then don't supply them , there will always be a "cheaper" substitute :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Freedom from a dictatorial superstate is worth a temporary small price and currency fluctuation was inevitable until the dust settles.
Many people say that the EU is a dictatorship. All this tells me is that those people have no idea what a dictatorship actually is!
In dictatorships you don’t usually get to vote, on anything.

In dictatorships, most negotiations are done with firearms.

In dictatorships civil liberties and workers rights figure very low on the list of priorities.

And finally in dictatorships when somebody suggests leaving they typically get a visit at 2 a.m. by the secret police.

while eating their straight Bananas, Yes! all is well with the world we are one again!
Ah! It's good to see the Daily Mail straight Banana EU myth coming around again, it doesn't get any less funny, or indeed true each time it is mentioned :rofl:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
So the mega rich boss of Next says prices will rise. Correct me but don't the majority of his goods come from countries outside the EU, such as China, India etc. Countries outside the EU pay extra tax to be able to trade with us. ( My Toyota is charged an extra 10% when it is imported to UK.) If he means currency then he should explain why he runs his business so badly that he is affected by short term fluctuations, but only when the Pound drops and not when it rises! Why do they think we are all idiots?

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
No, I guess they just hope we have a basic understanding of macro-economics.

A weaker pound will cause the prices of imports to rise and no amount of shouting and moaning about it will change anything.

Companies will hedge a currency for a certain length of time, so for a while they can hold prices stable. I suspect that ability to hold prices down will be gone before the end of the year.

There are plusses and minuses with a currency devaluation. And to be honest its a minor outcome from Brexit.

Worst will be the uncertainty while negotiations continue. Whatever outcome we get it won't be as financially advantageous as the deal we have now. For some that is a price worth paying I guess. For me it seems like stupidity. It will be the poor that suffer as always.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
No, I guess they just hope we have a basic understanding of macro-economics.
So you think I don't have a "basic understanding of macro-economics?"
A weaker pound will cause the prices of imports to rise and no amount of shouting and moaning about it will change anything.

Companies will hedge a currency for a certain length of time, so for a while they can hold prices stable. I suspect that ability to hold prices down will be gone before the end of the year.

There are plusses and minuses with a currency devaluation. And to be honest its a minor outcome from Brexit.

Worst will be the uncertainty while negotiations continue. Whatever outcome we get it won't be as financially advantageous as the deal we have now. For some that is a price worth paying I guess. For me it seems like stupidity. It will be the poor that suffer as always.
AND I am Stupid? and don't understand macro economics?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:[QUOTE="DanielFord, post: 2056303,
Ah! It's good to see the Daily Mail straight Banana EU myth coming around again, it doesn't get any less funny, or indeed true each time it is mentioned :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Hey have a laugh then at the EU Cucumber only allowed a 5-10 degree turn at the stalk end, and the weed killer that doesn't kill weeds, and the Vacume Cleaner that wouldn't lift the skin off a rice pudding
S'Matter of fact we'll all have a laugh with you :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:[QUOTE="DanielFord, post: 2056303,
Ah! It's good to see the Daily Mail straight Banana EU myth coming around again, it doesn't get any less funny, or indeed true each time it is mentioned :rofl:

Hey have a laugh then at the EU Cucumber only allowed a 5-10 degree turn at the stalk end, and the weed killer that doesn't kill weeds, and the Vacume Cleaner that wouldn't lift the skin off a rice pudding
S'Matter of fact we'll all have a laugh with you :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:[/QUOTE]
Yup, I love all the EU myths, they never cease to amuse me. The problem is, some folk actually believe that they are true. Like the banana, the cucumber is a myth, nobody knows where it started. I blame the Daily Mail, I don't know of the other two you quote, they don't feature in the top 100 euro myths, so perhaps another tabloid publication presented them as fact?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@rangitira Ah I have found the myths you refer to, to clear up, here are links for you:
https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/tidying-up-the-facts-on-eu-vacuum-cleaner-rules/

I can't find any specific reference to the weed killer one, perhaps you refer to the glyphosate based weed killer, which is scientifically proven to be carcinogenic to humans. This has been wrangling in the EU for years, but no decision has ever been forthcoming, largely due to the fact that the UK (amongst others) keep voting down banning it!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Mythes or not all I can see is the EU going t*ts up and imploding.

Why the hell would i want to pay into a club to the tune of millions and millions and get next to nothing out of it.

Lets face it when it was about free trade and reducing barriers it was fine. It then turned into a nice junket for some and a support system for countries that should be standing on their own and not artificially crutch supported.

All the countries mainly Eastern Block invited to the EU have been done so only to bolster the un elected elite's power.

Sooner we are out the better and lets not forget Germany still wants to sell us lots of products and France will do as it is told by Germany.

IMHO

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Why the hell would i want to pay into a club to the tune of millions and millions and get next to nothing out of it.
Apart from when our financial industry went tits up, largely due to hysterical media reporting. My Great Uncle was a civil servant during the 70's and when it all kicked off, he couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Nat West was bailed out way back then, and no one batted an eye lid, largely because it wasn't reported. Anyway, I digress, the EU bailed us out quite handsomely in our time of need. They also pay out billions in grants around the UK. Yes we do pay pay in more than we get out, but that is the beauty of a 'commonwealth'. Incidentally I note that Euro sceptics like the old empire's commonwealth, but not that of the EU, don't understand that one personally.

Lets face it when it was about free trade and reducing barriers it was fine. It then turned into a nice junket for some and a support system for countries that should be standing on their own and not artificially crutch supported.
It still is about free trade and reducing barriers, but all members need to pay their way, hence the hefty austerity measures in place on Italy and Greece.

All the countries mainly Eastern Block invited to the EU have been done so only to bolster the un elected elite's power.
And they also bolster our own prosperity by doing the jobs that UK nationals feel are beneath them. In my youth, I ran a hotel. I employed many house keepers. They never turned up for work, or they would turn up for work with their benefit claim form showing that they had attended work. Several of my clients now are hoteliers. Their house keeping staff are all Eastern European, they turn up when they are supposed to, they do a good job, and they also send money home to their families in Eastern Europe. Tell me, who is the failing nation?

Sooner we are out the better and lets not forget Germany still wants to sell us lots of products and France will do as it is told by Germany.
Indeed, roughly 2% of their total output!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Apart from when our financial industry went tits up, largely due to hysterical media reporting. My Great Uncle was a civil servant during the 70's and when it all kicked off, he couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Nat West was bailed out way back then, and no one batted an eye lid, largely because it wasn't reported. Anyway, I digress, the EU bailed us out quite handsomely in our time of need. They also pay out billions in grants around the UK. Yes we do pay pay in more than we get out, but that is the beauty of a 'commonwealth'. Incidentally I note that Euro sceptics like the old empire's commonwealth, but not that of the EU, don't understand that one personally.

It still is about free trade and reducing barriers, but all members need to pay their way, hence the hefty austerity measures in place on Italy and Greece.

And they also bolster our own prosperity by doing the jobs that UK nationals feel are beneath them. In my youth, I ran a hotel. I employed many house keepers. They never turned up for work, or they would turn up for work with their benefit claim form showing that they had attended work. Several of my clients now are hoteliers. Their house keeping staff are all Eastern European, they turn up when they are supposed to, they do a good job, and they also send money home to their families in Eastern Europe. Tell me, who is the failing nation?

Indeed, roughly 2% of their total output!

We don't need to pay into the club to have trade agreements.

The "grants" we receive is only the money we have paid in and then we get told what it can be spent on. So half the money we pay in is returning, how generous of them.

We have always had migrant workers coming to our country from all over the world.
I fail to see how a family from an Eastern block country puts more into the system than takes out. Especially when you look at the male probably doing a job on minimum wage. The female can claim job seekers lets say two kids so child benefit is paid possibly help with rent then free medical care along with free dentist. Lots of any surplus flows out of the country back to the homeland ready for their return to a nice life in a cheap economy.

Yep we are failing partly due to the over generous hand outs we give.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Especially when you look at the male probably doing a job on minimum wage. The female can claim job seekers lets say two kids so child benefit is paid possibly help with rent then free medical care along with free dentist. Lots of any surplus flows out of the country back to the homeland ready for their return to a nice life in a cheap economy.
Sadly another Daily Mail myth, I have yet to meet an Eastern European family where both parents were not working. And working hard, on the flip side I have met many English families where neither parent is working, and they are waxing lyrical about how they can't get a job because of them immigrants!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back