markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Evening everyone, after some answers please about the basics when it comes to understanding 10 / 15 / 20 /amp EHU.(not sure if i wrote correct) Reading some posts about decent campsites they state the EHU rating.

please can someone explain the meaning of the different ratings and how it would effect me if i got something wrong and what is the basic i need to know

Many Thanks

Mark

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Mark you cant get anything wrong
it just means the higher the number the more electrical things you can have on at the same time without tripping it
others will come and explain it in tecy talk im sure:RollEyes:
Geo

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The higher the amp figure the more electrical appliances you can run in your van when on site.
You need to work out the current rating for what you have such as tv, hairdryer, microwave etc. THen you will know what you can use on an EHU. Generally in this country you can expect 10-16 amps. Howevre on the continent as little as 3 amps.
I was on a site in Holland and in order to use the electric kettle I had to switch the fridge off.
I was on the Abbey Wood site some years ago in October and the trips kept blowing. This was due to a group of tuggers all in the same all singing and dancin vans with blown hair electric heating,girlies listening to stereo systems and drying their hair with a tv on!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Evening everyone, after some answers please about the basics when it comes to understanding 10 / 15 / 20 /amp EHU.(not sure if i wrote correct)
Mark

It's reasonably simple AMPS x VOLTS = WATTS.

So if you were on a common 6A feed you could run up to 6 x 240 = 1440W or 1.4kW.

UK domestic sockets are rated at 13A. So 13 x 240 = 3120. The biggest electric gadget you plug in is 3kW.

If you plug your 3kW kettle into your 6A supply a circuit breaker will pop and you will have to ask the site manager to reset it. No harm will be done apart to your pride.

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ah right it all becomes clear, cheers guys.

Thats good news, so glad i cant blow things up or damage the van.
With the EHU connection lead this should be capable of taking all levels of power then in the uk or abroad?
Mark.

Reading the above its not the cable i need to worry about its the overload on the breakers, with yer now

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just to confuse matters.....if the site is very busy dont expect to get 16a from a 16a supply.:whatthe:
16a is the MAX it can supply.
there is only so much to go round and if it gets overloaded the MAIN site breaker will trip.

ask anyone who was at The dirty duck at Grantham for the new years meet

:shout: :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ah right it all becomes clear, cheers guys.

Thats good news, so glad i cant blow things up or damage the van.
With the EHU connection lead this should be capable of taking all levels of power then in the uk or abroad?
Mark.

Reading the above its not the cable i need to worry about its the overload on the breakers, with yer now
You should use the Geo Method mark:thumb:
plug it in, does it pop? no, plug something else in,does it pop,no, try something else POP!!! oh sh*t wont do that again:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp