Underslung tank fitting problems (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For just cooking and the fridge we get through about four litres a week. Having also run on EHU with fridge not on gas consumption for cooking is less than two litres per week.

However, we have diesel heating, gas heating will consume considerably more than either cooking or fridge put together.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
For just cooking and the fridge we get through about four litres a week.
Hi DBK I think if I was only using your amount I'm not sure if I would bother getting Gasit Gaslow or any other configuration.
It strange how different some people usage is to others.
When I'm on my own which I was on this occasion Instead of using the hot water heater I heat up the kettle for a strip wash but that is not easy in the tight confines of the toilet. I can't use the shower at the moment as there is a crack in the base.
Anyway thanks for your input.
Best Wishes Tony

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use about up to a litre of gas a day normally, we wild camp or use aires so no hook-up and apart from when we're travelling the fridge is always on gas, all cooking and heating uses gas too, but we're not ones for showers every day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi DBK I think if I was only using your amount I'm not sure if I would bother getting Gasit Gaslow or any other configuration.
It strange how different some people usage is to others.
When I'm on my own which I was on this occasion Instead of using the hot water heater I heat up the kettle for a strip wash but that is not easy in the tight confines of the toilet. I can't use the shower at the moment as there is a crack in the base.
Anyway thanks for your input.
Best Wishes Tony
I think you need to run your test again, perhaps weighing the bottle before and after to determine how much gas you have used. 6kg or thereabouts in 3 days just doesn't sound right as it means you were using over three litres a day.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you need to run your test again, perhaps weighing the bottle before and after to determine how much gas you have used. 6kg or thereabouts in 3 days just doesn't sound right as it means you were using over three litres a day.
My thoughts too ... there's no way that 6kg cylinder can have been full.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All I've just taken the two light cylinders out of my Motorhome, these have not been used since the time in question and shut off
I used my bathroom scales and my analog fishing scales. The full one reads on BR scales 10.6kgs on the fishing scales 24lbs.

The used one on the BR scales weighs 6.8kgs and on the fishing scales 15lbs. Is anyone any good at telling me how much in litres I've used?
I believe I've used just under 8ltres in 3 days.
Please feel free to check my figures as maths was not my strong point. Lol
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
My thoughts too ... there's no way that 6kg cylinder can have been full.
If they weren't full when I started then I've been screwed by Calor, I know when they fill their empties they do it by weight I can't see them making a mistake filling a tank regardless what the tank gauge says.
Best Wishes Tony

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If they weren't full when I started then I've been screwed by Calor, I know when they fill their empties they do it by weight I can't see them making a mistake filling a tank regardless what the tank gauge says.
Best Wishes Tony
The only other explanation is that you had the heating on which gobbled up the gas ... 6kg (roughly 10-12 litres) in 3 days is a LOT of gas usage.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I agree with minx girl.
6 kg is a lot of gas in 3 days.
There must be a leak somewhere.
1 litre lpg weights roughly half a kilo.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi All I've just taken the two light cylinders out of my Motorhome, these have not been used since the time in question and shut off
I used my bathroom scales and my analog fishing scales. The full one reads on BR scales 10.6kgs on the fishing scales 24lbs.

The used one on the BR scales weighs 6.8kgs and on the fishing scales 15lbs. Is anyone any good at telling me how much in litres I've used?
I believe I've used just under 8ltres in 3 days.
Please feel free to check my figures as maths was not my strong point. Lol
Many Thanks Tony
If the one weighing 6.8kg was full before the trip then you have used 3.8kg which is around 7 litres I think. Which still seems a lot if you weren't using the gas for heating. The unknown is was the bottle full to begin with?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If you shake or turn over a gas bottle you can tell if there is gas in.
Thanks just so much hassle to unstrap it and remove it from the gas locker each time you would want to refill it ,, Add that there to the risk of filling it without a 80% cut off , PLUS you would need to know the last pressure test date of the cylinder that you refilling , unless ofc you like to live dangerously

Jazzledog

Free Member
May 1, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588PL
Exp
Here's what I used to do when (whispers) caravanning.

When the bottle is known to be full, pour some hot water down the side of the bottle, run your hand down the side of the bottle and you'll feel a marked temperature change on the metal that indicates the level of the liquid gas inside. Record that level with a permanent marker and the date if you're a bit OCD, on a full bottle you'll see that it approximates to 80% of the cylinder capacity, I was sometimes surprised to see that there was a variation on the same size cylinder! I put it down to temperature variation at the time of filling or under filling by the gas supplier! Probably the former.

You can do the hot water check to monitor gas usage and I found it a reasonably accurate method to assess when I needed to change over a cylinder. Try it, may work for you? Obviously won't work on an under slung tank for reasons of practicality, hot water on the floor of the gas cupboard may need to be addressed.....:whistle:

Awaits incoming.......:pray:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I was sometimes surprised to see that there was a variation on the same size cylinder! I put it down to temperature variation at the time of filling or under filling by the gas supplier! Probably the former.
A place i used to work in refilled Air Cylinders and if you were to fill 2 cylinders at different speeds , e.g 1 fast , and 1 slow even though when both were filled to say 300bar 1hr later when they had both cooled down the one that was filled faster would have less compressed air in it than the one that had been slowly filled , maybe this is the same for the gas cylinders ?

Jazzledog

Free Member
May 1, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588PL
Exp
A place i used to work in refilled Air Cylinders and if you were to fill 2 cylinders at different speeds , e.g 1 fast , and 1 slow even though when both were filled to say 300bar 1hr later when they had both cooled down the one that was filled faster would have less compressed air in it than the one that had been slowly filled , maybe this is the same for the gas cylinders ?

I'm sure that this effect is covered by Boyle's Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle's_law) but it's been a while since I was taught it!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back