Underslung Gas

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by Chris Jackson, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Chris Jackson

Chris Jackson

We are blowing the kids inheritance and have plumped for a new Bessacar 424 which is on order. No van is perfect so we are looking at a few extras to set it up how we would like. The gas locker is a bit small so we are contemplating going with a Chassis mounted LPG tank (also gets us better outside locker space). Has anyone fitted one, if so are there are any installers who are suitably gas qualified in the midlands? Are there any pitfalls to avoid in our search. Thanks in anticipation.
    Chris

2. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Hello:). Does it have an AlKo chassis or is it the standard Fiat chassis?

D.

3. Chris Jackson

Chris Jackson

Hi Dave - prompt reply - very impressed. I believe it is the standard Fiat.

Chris

4. houdini

houdini Funster

Underslung Gas in Belper

I hope you can get a doctor's appointment soon, it sounds painful. :whistle: :whistle:

5. dave newell lvs

Assuming standard Fiat chassis then yes underslung should be possible, usually mounted just behind the silencer but Swift/Bessacar have a habit of putting water tanks there so we really need to know the layout underneath.

D.

6. Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane Funster Life Member

We have an underslung tank never go back to bottles. Go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

if the van is long term definitley go for underslung if possible if your the type to change regular i would have refillable bottles fitted which can be swopped to the next van but you dont gain the locker space

8. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Underslung another vote for as big as possible too. While about it is it possible to have a BBQ point put in? This makes it more convienent if you go to somewhere that does not have autogas (Morocco, parts of Spainand parts of Eastern Europe) you can always reverse feed in the gas (with a suitable regulator) from a bottle bought locally if you run out.

Dick

9. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

With this lead from gaslow you can feed any European bottle (with the right adaptor) through the original gas filler and the regulator once the underslung is empty.
    http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-Reserve-Cylinder-Connection-Hose

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Underslung are good, more capacity, no changing bottles, another locker free, less fill up stops, I have a 55 litre

• Like Like x 1
  11. houdini

houdini Funster

Apologies - wrong forum.

12. Chris Jackson

Chris Jackson

Useful ideas coming in. Thanks very much. Any more experience or recommendations most welcome.

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. dave newell lvs

Purely for clarity and balance not all professionally tanks are "crap" jobs, here's one I prepared earlier: DSC07865.JPG

D.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

According to the blurb the payload is only 421kg so I'd suggest waiting until you get it and then filling the fuel tank, and an empty water tank, then putting all your kit in and taking it to a weighbridge, this will tell you your travelling weight without water as this can be left empty if necessary to reduce the weight you're carrying, once you've done this you'll know your true payload and from that can decide whether or not you've got the spare capacity for an underslung tank and also being able to then use the extra locker space you've created.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Minxy Girl

Just to add, looking at some more spec it appears that the gas locker is supposed to take 2 x 6kg refillable bottles (same size as 2 x 7kg Calor) which equates to roughly 23 litres (give or take) of LPG, you might be able to get an underslung tank fitted that takes more possibly 25 litres, but unlikely to be much larger and the cost will be a LOT more. The other option would be to see if you can get a single 11kg refillable in there which will give you around 21 litres of LPG and leave you some storage space at the side - our PVC's gas locker is only supposed to take 2 of the smaller cylinders but I managed to 'persuade' my 11kg refillable to go in! If you do this though please ensure that you keep the gas drop out vents clear AND a way of any gas escaping form the top of the bottle to be able to get down to them ... my locker looks in this photo as I'd been snuffling around in it for something but it is normally much tidier!

16 - Gas locker.JPG

17. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Personally I chose to install a full frontal stone barrier rather than cover my kit in that black messy stuff. Stako tank paint is often scratched and chipped on delivery but I gave mine four extra coats.
    I also used a pre regulator filter.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. dave newell lvs

Easy to do for yourself Andy but when doing it for a paying customer time is an issue so no extra coats of paint prior to installation and that "black messy stuff" is rubberised stonechip paint, not just underseal so provides a good barrier to the plastic coating getting chipped. Our supplier (Autogas 2000) ships the tanks well wrapped and protected against paint/coating damage. I also fit a metal heatshield/physical barrier in front of the tank which is right behind the exhaust silencer (hence the heatshield).

D.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Seajay

Seajay Funster

Hi, has anyone had any experience in fitting an external LPG tank to a 1996 single rear wheel drive transit?......The van is a CL Meridien and as getting the spare wheel out from under the rear just behind the back axle was a sh*t job I now carry it on the front, so without the spare being there it means hopefully there is space for a big LPG tank thereby releasing a good sized side locker......I have asked around Cornwall if there is anybody willing to do the job,but as yet no takers!.....Chris.

20. Minxy Girl

When they install LPG for car propulsion they sometimes put a doughnut shaped tank in the spare wheel space (I assume they then carry the puncture repair stuff instead of the wheel)) so it might be an idea to contact someone who does car LPG propulsion installs as well as MH LPG tank installs as they'll have the knowledge of both systems and be able to advise if this could be done, or whether you'll need to remove the spare wheel holder completely and just have a standard 'sausage' tank installed. Be aware that the cost of getting a tank installed isn't cheap though, probably twice the cost of cylinders.