Underside metal/wood protection (1 Viewer)

ryanmck1984

Free Member
Sep 8, 2016
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Folks,
I wondered what everyone uses to protect the underside of the MH?
The previous owner used hammerite on any metal but not sure what to use on the wood?

:)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
when i bought our MH which was 9 years old , i was suprised how clean it looked underneath with only the odd bolt rusting as all the metal work seemed galvanized , and the wood seemed to be staying dry due to the ride height.
I've read some scary stories of people using waxol and it the retaing the water / rust and making it spread faster , now if them stories were true is a matter of debate.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I thought abot a timber preservative would not want to cover it with anything that might trap moisture (but not got around to it!!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ryanmck1984

ryanmck1984

Free Member
Sep 8, 2016
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cheers guys.
Yeah Bart, mines is 12 years old and i thought the same thing. It's in great condition.
I think I'll just keep on top of it with the hammerite rather than waxoyl :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Chassis on my Hymer is galvanised Al-ko so no rust.. the wooden floor is painted with black underseal..

I had to repair a small area of flooring behind the offside rear wheel.. road spray had penetrated the sealer, and the wood had started to rot..

after repairing I painted it with Hammerite underseal..

thread with pictures...

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...mer-under-garage-floor-at-rear-corner.130639/

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Chassis on my Hymer is galvanised Al-ko so no rust.. the wooden floor is painted with black underseal..

I had to repair a small area of flooring behind the offside rear wheel.. road spray had penetrated the sealer, and the wood had started to rot..

after repairing I painted it with Hammerite underseal..

thread with pictures...

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...mer-under-garage-floor-at-rear-corner.130639/
just read that thread jim , good repair , i never knew that such a thing as that rot treater / hardener existed , looks like good stuff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
As part of the water ingress guarantee, Dethleffs spray the underside annually with some sort of silicon gunk I suppose. This is an additional charge to habitation service and is essential to keep the warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back