Underseal 5th wheel

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by zaskar, May 25, 2014.

1. zaskar

zaskar Funster

I want to underseal the chassis, axles etc of my Kountrylite.
    I want a black finish but can't for the life of me decide between ................
    Waxoil black ( heated and sprayed on with a hand held plant water sprayer)
    or
    Halfords Black stone chip spray in 600ml spray cans.

Any advice one way or the other, or indeed alternatives, would be much appreciated.

Ta

2. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

I once used an expanding black underseal on one of my cars & it was very easy to use from a simple spray can.

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Last weekend I did the chassis, cross-members and suspension of my Hymer (Sprinter chassis). I used black Hammerite Waxoyl with the pump-up sprayer which works with a 2.5 litre pressure can. It worked fine and I used 7.5 litres to do the job, including inside the box sections. I think you would need a lot of aerosol cans! Then I used Hammerite underseal (with Waxoyl) to treat the underside of the timber flooring; this I applied with a brush.

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

waxoyl is far superior but dont try a standard garden sprayer, it needs a bigger jet to be effective. there are a couple of copies of waxoyl about these days, one from morris oils is pretty good too.

5. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I find that Waxoyl washes off the exposed parts of the chassis.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  6. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Ahhhh, now that's interesting as I would say that most of what I want to spray is exposed flat surfaces and, if I'm honest, is probably going to be done more for cosmetic reasons than protection given the overkill thickness of American chassis steel.
    Wonder if stone chip might be the better product for what I need.

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Have you considered Black Hammerite, Direct to Rust Smooth Finish Aerosol ?

I use it to paint old rusty cast iron sewing machine stands, . looks great .. and it lasts..

I have one such stand converted to a garden table , out in all weathers and no rust.

Can have it in matt, gloss, aerosol or tin

8. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    I have used both a Lidl black metal paint and a screwfix version, both of which can be painted over surface rust but I have gone over with a wire brush first.

I must admit to not having done the whole of the chassis yet(winter project) but on the sections that I have done the results have been good, having said that I have not used the 5'er on the UK's salty roads for 3 years.

One of these products is much thicker than the other(can't remember which) but both can be thinned for ease of application . I have used brushes which is very laborious and time consuming but I dare say spraying when thinned using an electric spray gun would be a possibility.

Edit:
    Just read Jim's post and the products I mention are similar products, but cheaper especially the Lidl, to the Hammerite which I can also recommend.

Last edited: May 26, 2014