Underfloor layout

Discussion in 'RMB' started by Robin McHood, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Hello all, does anyone know if it is possible to obtain a layout drawing of the underfloor arrangement, ie exactly what is in the double bottom of an RMB. I'm exploring possibility of fitting an AC unit down there if there is room. Saw this arrangement on a Variomobil recently and it would solve the existing problem I have with fitting a roof mounted unit.
    (Incidentally the german owners of this variomobil (on same chassis as mine) had done Tierra del Fuego to Alaska and Germany to Singapore in it... Now THAT's motorhoming big style!!

Problem I've got with a roof mounted unit is two fold -
    1) increase in height, I'm already at 3.3m
    2) The kickup in the roof stops me fitting a Freshjet 2200 directly without some sort of spacer into the 400 x 400 rooflight above the kitchen.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Anyone?

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Knowing full well that many folk can not even get the recomended location for fixing bike racks to back panels
    from any reliable source i would say your on a hiding to nothing in your quest
    Will the Manf (the only real source of such info) not give you any insight ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Hi @Geo, you are probably right, but sometimes out there there is someone who just happens to have some piece of esoteric info. The previous owner is trying to get something out of a couple of ex RMB guys in Germany but nil so far. Wonder if our Chief Engineer will mind if I borrow his main engine endoscope for a trip??:D

5. jonegood

jonegood Funster

I looked at these for our previous mh, they use a lot less power than a roof mounted and circulate the air better.

But was advised that it was very difficult to retrofit, because you need to be a ble to get the ducts through at high level because cold air falls.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Underfloor plans may not be distributed as you Funsters would only use them to smuggle even more undesirables into UK.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi

I would guess that you would need to find the specific layout for your vehicle as I imagine that the RMB was rather hand built at the time rather like a Vario where no two will be the same. Do you not have enough access and floor hatches to work it out for yourself, after all if you want to fit a air con in the space you will need to get to the space to work.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Good Luck
    They respond quite well to the dripping water technique ;)
    G

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

@funflair, I was trying to avoid having dismantle stuff to get a view of the space available, there is limited viewing from the various hatches but insufficient to determine what space there is. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet, or I may wimp out and get the guys at Hertkorn & Kolbel in Bad Wladsee to tackle the whole thing next time we are passing.

10. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Or.. I could use this approach...
    upload_2016-8-2_15-48-38.png
    :)
    Actually having seen how the Vario was done I have a planned route for the high level pipe

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have both the ceiling mounted air con and the floor mounted higher capacity fitted. The roof mount will run on batteries without exhausting them the larger 'Sapphire' needs EHU to operate.

The underfloor is quieter and more powerful and the air duct is up the back of one of the seats making the curtains flap and freeze.

This won't help you measure the underfloor area though I do have a usb camera for inspecting underfloor areas, cheap on ebay, reaches 2 or 3 metres, I was mentioning it in case you needed to see it in situ or measurements.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

@Popeye Now that was a useful post, cheers. That was sort of how I was planning the air duct. On the Vario they had used one of the overhead lockers as an air distributor with eyeball vents. Actually the aircon isnt for us its the cat and dog when we aren't in the van. I'm interested that the roof unit will run on batteries can I ask how big a van and what the capacity of your aircon is?
    As an alternative for the occasional use (I'm not planning on Spain etc in summer..) I was looking at the double unit which hangs out of a window. Low capacity but with the RMB's insulation and blinds etc, might be viable