Underfloor Insulation (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Has anyone insulated the underside floor of their motorhome.
I was under my van today and there is a large expanse of board , open to the elements that would appear to be easily covered with say the double reflective radiator type foil. It may help to keep the inside of the van warmer with less heat loss.The underfloor is clean and dry and does not appear to be subject to road dirt and appears to be high enough such that it would not easily be blown off or damaged etc.

if it was applied would it be best to glue it on or staple it for example -anyone done it?:unsure:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Assuming that's your motorhome in your avatar then radiator foil will add about 1-2% thermal insulation to the floor so not really worth the effort or cost. Your floor will be made of a sandwich of ply top layer, thin ply bottom layer and usually a polyurethane foam type insulation layer in the centre, the total floor thickness is usually around 40mm and the foam part will typically account for about 3/4 of that thickness. Bearing in mind that heat rises you would get more benefit from sticking it on the roof and even then its not going to be a massive benefit.

D.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
One thing that might show some benefit is to check any warm air heater pipes that are under the floor. some vans have a pipe crossing the chassis underneath the floor. ensuring the insulation on that is good might be more of a benefit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I did some on mine but it just fell off after a while. The better benefit is to utilise two things. One is to use an awning skirt around the van sides. This then prevents wind from gettting under the van which is the major cause of heat loss or should I say incoming cold. The other is to look at all the air drops within the van. Some reason Brit vans have an awful lot of them which again just allow cold winds through.
As Dave says the roof is a big source of heat loss especially in winter through sky lights etc.

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
... One is to use an awning skirt around the van sides. This then prevents wind from gettting under the van which is the major cause of heat loss or should I say incoming cold.

Yea, did that a few years ago on previous RV (or rather, former partner did this on our former RV) and it made amazing difference. We skirted it all the way round, originally to stop small dog from investigating when tied up to the door handle outside but turned out in dead of winter and freezing conditions it worked a charm on stopping underneath bits and pieces from freezing up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back