Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I posted that a while back, we bought a 1985 fiat ducato with a Glendale "home" on it. Now we knew we would be "restoring " it, and happily spent quite a few quids on it. As i was prepping it for MOT sunday, i noticed a small hole on the rear spring hanger,...so, out with the welder, a long drawn out process of getting more wire and gas etc, cleaning, making a plate, and laying upside down welding:cry:, the, during a coffee break, i looked at the other side of it, up near where the main bush is, and i saw a slit more or less around two thirds of the bush hole:Eeek:
That put paid to that, the steel just is,nt thick enough to weld, no matter how i did it, the job would not be good enough long term.:Doh:
So, it was on T'net, and finding a supplier that had one, was cheap enough, and wouldnt take two years to get it to me.
I found one, and hopefully, the part is winging its way to me for delivery wednesday. It will then be fitted, and in for test on thurs, just in time for me to load it and hit the roads friday night.........if it passes, if not, trips on hold till it does::bigsmile:, and yes, i could have planned it better,...but hey ho, it'll all come right in the end:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just for info, so far, our aquisition has had;

the overcab rebuilt due to damp
new water pump
new cooker (mrs wants a fridge as well)
all new cushions made by local upholsterer
new fly/privacy blinds
new wheelcovers
one new window
new lesiure batteries and split charge
awning fixed
brakes adjusted
engine service
new gearbox linkage
new roof vent
new windscreen blinds
and the mrs has bought a new toilet (white) new dropdown basin (white) new UPVC wall panels (white) and will get a new shower tray (white) because the bathroom is avocado green (who bleddy inflicted that colour on us)

So if anyone has a derelict sack of poo MH for sale...keep an eye on my post's, when i sell this one, i may be in the market for another one.
the sad thing is, in my last job (just changed), I used to regularly trundle down the A21...straight past Johns Cross,........its hard trying to kick yourslef while driving!

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS:winky:
i completly rebuilt my last motorhome used it for 3 years and sold it,wish i had held onto it.
1987 mk3 transit based, rough and ready but it had a bit of me init.:thumb:

chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I,m feeling that way about this one:Smile:. we have done tents, trailer tents, two caravans, and now a motorhome, so i just want to make sure its for us, then the plan is to get something that will "see us out" and have fun with it. The trouble is, as you say, once it is exactly how we want it, (it will still need a repaint and knowing me, an better engine), it may be hard on a personal level and financial one, to let it go, i mean, why do all that work for someone else, and it'll only ever be worth a little more than we paid for it, the jury is still out, and we may well end up doing as you wished you had.:Cool:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years ago, we had enough cash to choose between buying a brand new motorhome and using it for holidays or buying an old one and going on holiday for a year.

After almost a femto-second's thought, we bought The Wheelèd Shed and we spent a year travelling, enjoying our freedom and family time.

Although it leaks sometimes, looks a bit shabby sometimes, makes some bunghole-dry Caravan Club members pitch on the opposite side of the camp, we made the right decision.

Ultimately, the van is far less important than the pleasure it affords you.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a Glendale in the 80s and the washroom was avocado too. Trouble is it was the fashionable colour then, my house bathroom was avocado as well. I doubt it will ever be back in fashion though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back