Under £17 per night accommodation for 2 :) hehe (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have just worked out that during the time we had our van the cost PER NIGHT worked out at under £17 per night (y)

I have not taken every expense into account as some of these are quite subjective and open to interpretation (fuel, tax, insurance, maintenance etc).

However if the cost is measured in straight out depreciation ............................. £16.97 per night :D

Looking back on our adventures, that's very reasonable to me.

Please note: this is simply a personal view/statement. I do not wish to get caught up in the whole new/secondhand/loser/blahblah debate.

Just sayin :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Are you getting bored Grahame ?!!:sneaky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Are you getting bored Graham??!!:sneaky:

Haha... no way :cautious: just munching our way through some sourdough toasties then out for a long walk in the glorious afternoon sun that has blessed us up here in Scotland today (y)

Ciao 4 now :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But if on CC sites could work out a lot more and I bet with the other costs hab service cab service fuel etc probably at travelodge prices at least!!!. We know ours costs us a lot but for us the advantage is we do stuff when we would normally sit at home and working odd days and times it fits in.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The cost, compared to other things doesn't really come into it, if anyone thinks motorhoming is cheap holidays they are very much mistaken, motorhoming is something you want to do so the comparison with other holidays doesn't stand up, it's a thing on its own , like some may like tents , others might like hotels, others might like cruising, or 101 different things, flying, running , motorbikes, racing cars, horses, all cost a different price because they are all different things.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
motorhoming compared to other forms of holidaying gets cheaper the more people are in the van a family of six would make a considerable saving, unfortunately these are the people least likley to find the initial outlay

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
O'dear..... £18k on and we still haven't got one yet...!

Well,.... We did get away in one for a week so that works out at nearly £2.6k a day...:eek:

And I want another one....:confused::Eeek: I must be bl***y mad...:swear2::Eeek::Eeek:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The cost of everything value of nothing springs to mind! Joking but think I even prefer your baking threads (not really):D

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Not even going down the cost per night route!!

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
But if on CC sites could work out a lot more and I bet with the other costs hab service cab service fuel etc probably at travelodge prices at least!!!. We know ours costs us a lot but for us the advantage is we do stuff when we would normally sit at home and working odd days and times it fits in.

Wild or Aires .......... twas the only way for us :LOL:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Mostly for us too but you can fiddle the numbers to make it sound cheap but its like ski-ing its never cheap!!!

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Mostly for us too but you can fiddle the numbers to make it sound cheap but its like ski-ing its never cheap!!!

Ah yes, but I didn't say it was cheap............ :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
While I applaud your record keeping I have never done it. We have been out for two weeks now and I couldn't tell you within a hundred quid what we have spent. Fuel, fill it up, use it and fill it up again. Eating out, fancy that, order it then pay and go. Supermarket, oh need cash, use cash machine etc. etc.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
As everyone has said, it is indiviual. BUT I think the more you use it the more cost effective owning a motorhome becomes.

We are full time/long termers, so, in our minds getting good value.

Overall (even though we religiously keep a 'costs' book) I think it is about the freedom it gives you rather than counting costs.

Long may the lifestyle continue!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
While I applaud your record keeping I have never done it. We have been out for two weeks now and I couldn't tell you within a hundred quid what we have spent. Fuel, fill it up, use it and fill it up again. Eating out, fancy that, order it then pay and go. Supermarket, oh need cash, use cash machine etc. etc.
Me , don't spend a penny without agonising over it for a week or two:), never had much so have to think about it a bit, but when out in the van, never really think about it, we are out, what we are wanting to do so its no use bothering or it just spoils the whole holiday.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well as it happens, this was not so much a result of record keeping....... simply price paid for the van less price the van sold for.

As I said, just a personal view. :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well as it happens, this was not so much a result of record keeping....... simply price paid for the van less price the van sold for.

As I said, just a personal view. :)
Ah that's different isn't it, I thought you had an income and expense book religiously filled out daily or even hourly :LOL:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
If I thought about how much it cost, and even cared how much it cost, I wouldn't do it BUT, how many of us just get pleasure looking at it sitting on the drive and not using it?? Not Me! As soon as i get home I am itching to get on the road again and explore new places, revisit old ones and all from the comfort of my own "home". I do package holidays (I'm sitting in Portugal now as a Saga-lout) but I'm always thinking "could I do this in my van?".

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ah that's different isn't it, I thought you had an income and expense book religiously filled out daily or even hourly :LOL:

Ah but, I didn't say I didn't do that either .......... hehe ;)

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
motorhoming compared to other forms of holidaying gets cheaper the more people are in the van a family of six would make a considerable saving, unfortunately these are the people least likley to find the initial outlay

No no no I am just going to have to bite the bullet. No way I am picking up 4 freeloaders just to keep the cost down. Oh bugger I am a freeloader

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back