Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure anyone can help with this but it's worth a try.

When we are in the motorhome my daughter travels in the forward facing belted dinette seat.

She never complains but the seats are really hard and uncomfortable both on the seat itself and the backrest.

Sometimes we do very long journeys and I am just wondering if anyone knows a way that I can make the seat more comfotable?

Just wondering if memory foam or something might be a solution.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Is it possible to remove it and fit a captains seat as Hymer do...BUSBY.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The problem with dinette seats is they are often extremely upright and I am not sure there is much if anything you can do about that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Absolutely no help for your problem but this is why we never buy vans with dinettes, handy for dining but I could not relax in the things and watch TV for any length of time. But needs must for some I suppose. :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We used to give the kids a feather cushion to put in the small of their backs, with our previous MH. I don't understand why front facing seats have to be so upright and at right angles . Why they can't be made with at least a nice slope.
When we had our U shape bench seat back cushions done they were made at an angle , at Regal. For our PVC. They were made wider at the bottom than the top.
Though I must admit. We very rarely ever sit on the sides. We tend to lounge , feet up . Backs against the rear doors. The back rest cushions at the short end of the U are feather filled proper comfy ones. An idea that Regal had. We are glad we went with it.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A lump of covered memory foam will work. But, what's a hard seat to you won't be for your daughter. I think Katies bed is really hard, but she loves it and says it's comfy. I think it's probably because I am ten stones heavier than her ;)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Memory foam is just another name for foam, available from your nearest upholstery supplier at half the cost, still quite expensive though, but as your daughters seat will be quite small should be reasonable. Just a 2" thick piece to fit backrest and seat in one go would make it so much more comfortable without compromising the safety aspect. The angle of the seat can sometimes be too upright so maybe get it cut in two pieces, slightly triangle shapes. If she's anything like my grandkids they are asleep within 5 miles anyway. Good luck (y)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
A lump of covered memory foam will work. But, what's a hard seat to you won't be for your daughter. I think Katies bed is really hard, but she loves it and says it's comfy. I think it's probably because I am ten stones heavier than her ;)
Yeah..... only 10 stones :rolleyes:.........:whistle:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Memory foam is just another name for foam, available from your nearest upholstery supplier at half the cost, still quite expensive though, but as your daughters seat will be quite small should be reasonable. Just a 2" thick piece to fit backrest and seat in one go would make it so much more comfortable without compromising the safety aspect. The angle of the seat can sometimes be too upright so maybe get it cut in two pieces, slightly triangle shapes. If she's anything like my grandkids they are asleep within 5 miles anyway. Good luck (y)
Memory foam is very different from normal foam which is why it is used as the top layer on foam mattresses.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Our current Rapido, Has Foam Wedges behind the Back rests?. standard I assume?. We use the Driver and Passenger seats turned around anyway, when on site. But you can buy Small amounts of "memory" type foams. Try the "Range" Outlets?

Pete

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
We have the same issue with ours, although our 4 year old doesnt complain, but the seats are very upright! She is quite tall for her age and we use a booster seat, but after doing some research into these recentley I am thinking about changing it to something like this first one on the webpage. Seriously doubting how safe a small booster is, especially on a dinette seat

http://www.madeformums.com/reviews-and-shopping/the-10-best-car-seats---from-4-years/7841.html

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as has been suggested a piece of memory foam suitably covered... if you change the whole structure of the seating ( fit a captains seat ) and mess with the seat belt anchor system you could create a problem should a nasty happen. more importantly you would never forgive yourself.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
You could try a good quality sheepskin rug on and over the seat makes a big difference, I know ours makes a difference.

image.jpg

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
as has been suggested a piece of memory foam suitably covered... if you change the whole structure of the seating ( fit a captains seat ) and mess with the seat belt anchor system you could create a problem should a nasty happen. more importantly you would never forgive yourself.

Construction and use regulations will apply too.
Your insurance company wouldn't be too happy either.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not sure anyone can help with this but it's worth a try.

When we are in the motorhome my daughter travels in the forward facing belted dinette seat.

She never complains but the seats are really hard and uncomfortable both on the seat itself and the backrest.

Sometimes we do very long journeys and I am just wondering if anyone knows a way that I can make the seat more comfotable?

Just wondering if memory foam or something might be a solution.
Lateral thinking approach.

Leave daughter behind or buy smaller MH with no room for her, achieving the same outcome.

Alternatively, encourage her to eat lots of junk food so she grows her own extra "upholstery".

Only joking! :):):)

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Lateral thinking approach.

Leave daughter behind or buy smaller MH with no room for her, achieving the same outcome.

Alternatively, encourage her to eat lots of junk food so she grows her own extra "upholstery".

Only joking! :):):)

Well she is 11 going on 20 so I doubt it will be long now.

She is huge ( tall wise) and is already taller than my wife and gunning for me I fear

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well she is 11 going on 20 so I doubt it will be long now.

She is huge ( tall wise) and is already taller than my wife and gunning for me I fear
Solution's obvious then. Wife drives, daughter has passenger seat, Chris has uncomfortable dinette. Given the 2 to 1 minority position I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented already :D

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Solution's obvious then. Wife drives, daughter has passenger seat, Chris has uncomfortable dinette. Given the 2 to 1 minority position I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented already :D

It has.

Several times:D

Reactions: GJH

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
we pad out the bottom rear small scawb cushion with a trangular folded towel, then put an "out side chair" cushioncover ( top & bottom type) over the the bum seat cushion and up to the back cushion, works for us

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back