Unable to contact Mirror Guard (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
People have the right to be worried when they have handed over “cash” for goods that have not been received within an acceptable timeframe. I don’t know the details of these transactions but obviously the buyers are worried, especially when they can’t contact the seller. It may be a bit too early for contacting trading standards etc. but I do understand their frustration. Time for all of you “glad you are not my customer” types to wind yer feckin neck’s in.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It takes no more than 2 minutes to set up up auto email response advising customers you 'Out of the Office' until whenever.

Something's wrong or its poor service.

I'd probably agree with that although it's easy to mess that up. I've done it myself, not set it up properly and not found out until it was too late.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
A business like that is obviously a very different situation from one like Mirrorguard or one like mine, with a very different customer base and very different requirements.

I've also worked as part of a business offering 24/7 phone support and getting out of it was one of the best things I've ever done. Now I offer no phone service at all and 5 working day response to emails. Anyone who doesn't like it is more than welcome to go elsewhere.

My point really was about the attitude of some of the people on here towards small businesses.

Those people need to get a grip and realise that not everyone they deal with has the back room set up of Amazon.

I don't even try any more, if I ever get a customer I even get the slightest hint from that they might be like the OP I just refuse their business.

As for mentioning Trading Standards, that's pathetic. Even if they were prepared to get involved they are toothless. Years ago in another business someone tried to report us for something equally trivial. We had a nice chat with the guy, came to an agreement with him that the customer was an arsehole and that was the end of that.

You are obviously fortunate enough to turn away business; well done you. Remember though, sometimes the seller is the pathetic arsehole, looks like it can cut both ways to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You are obviously fortunate enough to turn away business; well done you. Remember though, sometimes the seller is the pathetic arsehole, looks like it can cut both ways to me.

I'd rather go out of business than put up with some of the crap people seem to demand as a divine right but not want to pay for.

It always makes me laugh when someone expects me to do something extra that might take several hours for free and then acts like the OP when I won't do it.

The always seem surprised and act like they've done nothing wrong when I cancel their order and tell them to take their "business" such as it is elsewhere and torment someone else.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
A business like that is obviously a very different situation from one like Mirrorguard or one like mine, with a very different customer base and very different requirements.

I've also worked as part of a business offering 24/7 phone support and getting out of it was one of the best things I've ever done. Now I offer no phone service at all and 5 working day response to emails. Anyone who doesn't like it is more than welcome to go elsewhere.

My point really was about the attitude of some of the people on here towards small businesses.

Those people need to get a grip and realise that not everyone they deal with has the back room set up of Amazon.

I don't even try any more, if I ever get a customer I even get the slightest hint from that they might be like the OP I just refuse their business.

As for mentioning Trading Standards, that's pathetic. Even if they were prepared to get involved they are toothless. Years ago in another business someone tried to report us for something equally trivial. We had a nice chat with the guy, came to an agreement with him that the customer was an arsehole and that was the end of that.
Just out of interest Nic what business are you in, sounds like a niche market

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
point really was about the attitude of some of the people on here towards small businesses.

Fair points, especially about trading standards. However, a holiday contingency such as something very basic like a changed answerphone message or flash message on the website saying "away out of contact for a couple of days, please contact after xxx date and we will deal with your query" is surely a basic tenet of decent customer service? Not that hard, is it?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'd rather go out of business than put up with some of the crap people seem to demand as a divine right but not want to pay for.

It always makes me laugh when someone expects me to do something extra that might take several hours for free and then acts like the OP when I won't do it.

The always seem surprised and act like they've done nothing wrong when I cancel their order and tell them to take their "business" such as it is elsewhere and torment someone else.
Oh yes.......... try shipowners and oil companies for wanting something for nothing. Contract signed and then they demand this and that and then refuse to pay when I point out that their contract said (the basic catch all, I put in every contract) any work carried out outside these terms will be invoiced at standard fees less xxx%. Always the smaller clients........ One exception was an oil major where after a gruelling 6 hour meeting we all shook hands on a very tight deal, only for them to renege the following day and demand an extra 5%. I called their bluff and issued a contract termination notice.......they backed down. Fortunately

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Fair points, especially about trading standards. However, a holiday contingency such as something very basic like a changed answerphone message or flash message on the website saying "away out of contact for a couple of days, please contact after xxx date and we will deal with your query" is surely a basic tenet of decent customer service? Not that hard, is it?

I'd agree with that although as I posted before it's very easy to bugger up an email auto reply.

I put a flash message on my website whenever I know normal delivery periods aren't going to apply but I manage my own site. I know a lot of people don't have the skills to do that and trying to get a hosting/management company to do a small job like that and then remove it again exactly when you want/need it to happen I know from bitter experience is next to impossible.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Oh yes.......... try shipowners and oil companies for wanting something for nothing. Contract signed and then they demand this and that and then refuse to pay when I point out that their contract said (the basic catch all, I put in every contract) any work carried out outside these terms will be invoiced at standard fees less xxx%. Always the smaller clients........ One exception was an oil major where after a gruelling 6 hour meeting we all shook hands on a very tight deal, only for them to renege the following day and demand an extra 5%. I called their bluff and issued a contract termination notice.......they backed down. Fortunately

Different industry and I'd imagine smaller sums but been there done that.

Do I miss contracting? Not bloody likely!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
People have the right to be worried when they have handed over “cash” for goods that have not been received within an acceptable timeframe. I don’t know the details of these transactions but obviously the buyers are worried, especially when they can’t contact the seller. It may be a bit too early for contacting trading standards etc. but I do understand their frustration. Time for all of you “glad you are not my customer” types to wind yer feckin neck’s in.

I'll express my opinion and wind my neck in when I choose thank you, not when some type tells me to.

I sincerely hope a small trader who has worked very hard to establish his business is all right and the OP has his concerns resolved,

Last edited:

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I'll express my opinion and wind my neck in when I choose thank you, not when some type tells me to. If you read the thread you will see the details and the short amount of time that had lapsed . I sincerely hope a small trader who has worked very hard to establish his business is all right and the OP has his concerns resolved,

But we don't know when the OP placed their ordered, that information hasn't been disclosed????

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But we don't know when the OP placed their ordered, that information hasn't been disclosed????

That's the important bit of missing info isn't it.

If it's a few days or a week he's being unreasonable.

If it's a month then perhaps he's got a point.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
That's the important bit of missing info isn't it.

If it's a few days or a week he's being unreasonable.

If it's a month then perhaps he's got a point.

Totally agree and would be extremely helpful to hear back from the OP to obtain that vital bit of information?

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I'd probably agree with that although it's easy to mess that up. I've done it myself, not set it up properly and not found out until it was too late.
Hi NickNic
I'm not sure how hard it is too set up what you are talking about, but a friend of mine who runs a small business said whenever he sets up something like that he checks it out by sending an Email from himself to his own company to make sure it's working correctly, not sure if this would work for what you are talking about but just a thought.
Best Wishes Tony

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@Pjstingray , just wondering what is the time scale between your order and posting, hope it's resolved soon.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If it is a 'one man business' he may have fallen ill............or have a family emergency that all of a sudden is more important than the business...........

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I never answer my business phone number. A very few customers who I know personally have my mobile but not many. For everyone else if they want me their option is to email. We've been away for nearly 3 weeks now and I haven't checked work email once.

Like several other people have posted I'm bloody glad some of the people on here aren't customers of mine.
This is a strange post , you say the only way anyone can contact you is by email, then you go on to say you havnt looked at them for three weeks, so how can anyone know what's happening(n)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015

Yip, agree other than what's said about the OP, might be a slight difference in the scenarios (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This is a strange post , you say the only way anyone can contact you is by email, then you go on to say you havnt looked at them for three weeks, so how can anyone know what's happening(n)

I'm on holiday so nothing's happening. (y) Any important customers know that and there is nothing important outstanding.

The only way anyone will find my business is online. It is not in any phone directory and has no retail outlet or any presence other than online. Therefore if someone has found me online they can either use the contact form on the website or email.

It is not possible to order over the phone, even if I did take an order that way the customer would still have to provide me with information or files digitally so it's pointless to even start the process over the phone.

Anything anyone could possibly want to know is on the website they have already found.

If anyone ever has any kind of issue I insist on everything being in writing by email to ensure traceability and ensure no "errors" of memory down the line.

Tell me why I need to waste my time talking to people on the phone?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think everybody should run their business in the way that suits them and their customers, it would appear in this case that something has gone wrong but let's keep an open mind.

The only other comment I would make is that when we were in business we never charged anybody's credit card until the goods were ready to despatch, and I thought that there were rules governing this.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The only other comment I would make is that when we were in business we never charged anybody's credit card until the goods were ready to despatch, and I thought that there were rules governing this.

Nope. Some people choose to operate like that but there is nothing to say you have to.

Apart from with a few regulars I take full payment before I even think about starting a job. That's where the website is good. The order won't complete without the payment going through.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Odd dontcha think the OP hasn't come back?
Has been online o_O.
Hi Langtoftlad
No I don't think It's odd the OP has not been on here to answer the critics to his post. He only joined the 21st of July this year so he or she is probably a bit upset at some of the replies and I'm sure that he was not expecting that.
I do think the person concerned has been a bit over zealous by the way they have gone about it but I'm sure posting on here was only to help us. According to his profile he was on last night at 7pm so he's probably seen the replies and will in future think a bit more about what he posts. I myself hope this event does not put him off our little community as we are a friendly bunch and want to encourage people not deter them.
Best Wishes Tony

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Criticism - hmm, I think most of that has been directed at the way some :whistle: ;) seem to run a small business.
I think a couple of posts have asked for further details, and others coming up with possible explanations.
If you have a rant, I think it's only reasonable to expect a response - and it's quite mild. Have a look at the thread where a guy ranted that Eddie had gone on holiday, his reversing camera had broken :LOL:.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I've been a 'Sole Trader' since 1976 and always thought and still do that it seems more professional to have a landline telephone number. I obviously also use a mobile and email to conduct business but i find there are still a lot of 'older people' out there who object to calling mobiles.

Rob

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The landline/address stuff is all about appearance and nothing to do with practicalities or customer service.

When I had my hosting business I had an 0800 number for sales, I had a 0845 and an 0207 number all three redirected to my landlines. I had a London Mailing address where they would open post, scan it and email it to me.
I was a one man band, with an upmarket london office address, 3 landline numbers and I answered all three as either good afternoon XXX sales, or good afternoon technical support depending on which phone rang. As I grew and took on staff there was a lady on sales, 2 tech support staff.

Now I don't want to look professional as my reputation is good enough that clients will mostly work to my rules if they want my services and they are happy to do so.

So no phone except in a critical emergency and you need to pay me a monthly fee, Normal clients contact me via Skype instant messenger or email. I notify all active clients when I am going to be on holiday and give emergency contact details.

Anyway what I am trying to say is, a landline number, fancy london office address and any other stuff like that is all for appearance and gives no indication of the quality of the product or service offered. I will quite happily deal with a one man band using only a mobile number if his service or product is good.

I hope the OP get's his goods and that the seller is not injured or had an emergency. Would be nice to have a follow up though.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The OP certainly isn't the first to be upset by the level of customer service provided by Mirror Guard.

I mentioned I'd seen reference on another thread.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk...Mirror-Guard-abysmal-customer-service-/39745/

'good customer service' actually boils down to... 'easy to do business with'.

And that's regardless of how big or small the firm is.

Prior to retirement I ran a one-man operation for a time. Yes it can be challenging, but looking after every customer is the name of the game. The product I produced sold for less than £20, so I had a lot of customers.

I hope the OP achieves a satisfactory outcome.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
At 6pm this evening I had a reply to my email to Paul at MirrorGuard. This is a part of that reply.

We have been on holiday in Holland after the Norfolk show and just got back.
On the sunday of the show EE decided they would update my phone software and it
all went wrong leaving me with no working phone and no internet.
After a lot of grief they sent me a new phone to my home address (what good was
that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back