un-manned service stations

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by spforeman, Jul 5, 2012.

1. spforeman

spforeman Read Only Funster

have just returned from france & the good news is that diesel at supermarkets etc is 1.25 euros/litre, whilst on autoroutes it is approx 1.44, now the intersting bit, many of the service stations are now 24hr automatated, you put you card in, then you pin number then out comes the diesel - well that's the theory.

We had no problem at all with this system when used at supermarkets etc but when attempting to fill at unmanned forecourts both debit & credit cards were declined
    :shout:. yes, l did check with both my bank & cc to check that no one had withdrawn huge amounts of money in outer mongolia, so decided it had to be the credit check system in place at these spots espcially as cards worked perfectly everywhere else.

Just thought l ought to flag this up incase you are running short of fuel in france & drive into one of these unmanned garages only to get a nasty shock as opposed to a full tank of diesel. :Eeek:

Anyone else encountered this?

PS: several of the aires we stopped on also used the cc system to enter.

2. sedge

sedge Funster

Shedloads, ever since they invented the credit card. Pete's first encounter with the little prob was when his eldest Granddaughter was approx 4 and she's 22 nearly now ......

3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

It is a while since we tried to use one of these as we discovered many years ago they only accepted Carte Bleu credit cards. Maybe they have changed now and accept all credit cards or maybe they haven't.

Norman

4. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

I paid 1.18 in Luxembourg last week, cash payment though, not an unmanned station.

5. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

That is why I use a Caxton FX card

That is the reason why I have a Caxton FX euro card.. you pre load it and it has always worked at un-manned petrol stations even in the out of way places. Being a euro card there is no issues of credit checks as the cards are pr loaded. You can draw cash at machines, pay as a credit card (Mastercard) at shops or camp sites.... You can withdraw cash at machines (no charges).

A simple way over a problem... do not use on a toll road.

Bob

6. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We had this in January - tank was on empty so frantically tried to find filling station, pulled into unmaned and then wouldn't take our card. Luckily there was another one 1 mile down the road but it was a close call.
    May think about putting some money on a caxtons card for emergencies when we go next month.

7. keith

keith Funster

Have used my cards in these un-manned fuel stations and never had a problem.

I think even the French have caught up with the 21st century now. :Rofl1:

8. veevee

veevee Funster

Happened to us twice, both in northern France in the fully automated fuel stations.

Second time tried 2 debit cards and then 2 credit cards, all were UK cards but none accepted. Luckily we have a Credit Agricole debit card too and that was accepted, so come to the conclusion that non French cards didn't work at that one.

First time we were looking slightly puzzled (as we only use UK debit cards in France and never before been refused).

A very kind French lady offered to use her card for us if we paid her cash, such kindness.

• Like Like x 1
  9. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We tried to use an unmanned petrol station on a sunday, used a UK debit card and tesco credit card and none would work, we found one on the monday and machine was ok!!

10. JJ

JJ Funster

It is great to see our very own Bob so positive about his Euro Card as opposed to his AmEx card... :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Madmark62

Madmark62 Read Only Funster

But just how big is the card? 23Ft 9Ins?:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. sedge

sedge Funster

Which was exactly what a French lorry driver did for Pete on the occasion I mentioned.

Except he put it on his 'Agency' card, and pocketed the francs ! Oh he's just said Msieur put 210 FF in the Rangie although Pete had only given him 200 FF ! (good ole Norbert or whoever he worked for :Rofl1:)

13. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Same problem in Lyon Shell garage, Auchan was fine,,,

14. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

YESSSSSS.......... Me ........ In England ... "so decided it had to be the credit check system in place":Laughing::Laughing:

Changed card for Portugal as it sometimes works , sometimes not ! And now have both cards credit card and debit card ; We don't make the difference at all in France . You have a card you can take money wherever you wish to . If the bank thinks you won't have money enough , then it is a special one which stops working once you're on Zero (well it is a bit more complicated than this but it works.)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

15. maggio

maggio Read Only Funster

credit cards

Hi, Quite often 24 hour fuel stations in france will not accept any cards other than those that are issued in France. In other words, if you dont have a french bank account, you will be at the mercy of finding someone that has.

16. veevee

veevee Funster

In our experience that's not quite true Frankie. The 2 debit cards we tried (at two different unmanned fuel stations) both had more than a £1000 in the accounts, the 2 credit cards had nil balances so also had £1000's available.

I make a point of writing northern France as it never happened to us anywhere else and we do scoot around France to the tune of 20,000 kms a year on business.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

Why not?

18. lindylou

lindylou Funster

We had the same problem in France in October. Wouldn't accept either of our credit cards.
    Lin

19. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I always use the Caxton Card when I can

... Out of interested JJ Amex is in fact a british company.. not American. Based in Brighton.

I always use the Caxton FX car in europe... as it is a pre loaded card there is never an issue. British banks have often put blocks on British cards used in France, especially northern France to to the number of cards being ripped off.

I do not want to pay charges in any case so I find the Caxton Card covers the situation No exchange rate charges or admin fees... you load the card when you think the rate is best for you.

Never had a problem, even in some of the tiny towns with pay at pump machines in the middle of the night.. cuts off at about £100 equivalent... but that is the same as the Tesco night machines in the UK.

Bob

20. spforeman

spforeman Read Only Funster

no can't agree frankie on bank rejecting 'cos of lack of funds: debit card had over 1K in & cc was working fine, it was these particular card terminals not accepting non-french issue cards. some terminals ejecting the card as soon as entered machine on reading chip others allowing you to 'chip n pin' then rejecting. There were no notices indicating that 'foreign' cards were not accepted on the terminals or fuel pumps either.

should say that it was only in garages that this was a problem, elsewhere your max spen limit was around the 150 euro mark.