bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had a chap put the stuff in the tyres yesterday, we had the Smart done, because you have no spare wheel, then we thought we would have the van and trailer done too.:Doh: He did the lot for £140, which we thought was good considering he came all the way from Thetford. ::bigsmile: Go on now tell me its CR** :whatthe: anyone else got it in their tyres. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi, we had a chap put the stuff in the tyres yesterday, we had the Smart done, because you have no spare wheel, then we thought we would have the van and trailer done too.:Doh: He did the lot for £140, which we thought was good considering he came all the way from Thetford. ::bigsmile: Go on now tell me its CR** :whatthe: anyone else got it in their tyres. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Yes its crap Bob Neil had it in his motorcycle tyres and his wheels felt like they were square:ROFLMAO:
Pat

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
:Doh:::bigsmile: Jane said the Smart drives just the same,::bigsmile: I thought they only went square when you drove with a flat tyre......:roflmto: They won the contract with the Post Office and did 34000 vehicles after trying it for 1 year, do the Police cars have it, just wondered if they can drive over the stinger they put across the road, as in Caught on Camera.............:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The company is constantly fighting legal battles cos contrary to what they claim pretty much EVERY tyre manufacturer has come out and said they not only do not recommend the stuff but will not cover any warranty claims if it is found in a tyre of theirs..
Most sports bike owners know how dangerous it is nowadays but they STILL find people to buy it..

What is really sad is that the folk who flog it are so brainwashed they actually believe quite firmly that it is good and has no bad side to it.

On the up side it was developed for agricultural vehicles and in all honesty is proly ok in motorhomes as our vehicles accelerate at quite a sedate pace, but do check your tyres regularly if you are running on hot roads as some have been known to chunk and de-laminate.. Nothing ever proven that it was caused by the gunk but in a report done two years ago the ONLY de-laminated tyres a certain company had reports on had all had one of other derivative of the muck in.

Yes.. you guessed it, I am not a fan !! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, all tyre companies would be against it,::bigsmile: because they are not doing the punctures and have the pleasure of telling you that you need a new tyre. If it stops me from changing a wheel at the side of a busy road, or sitting waiting for someone to come out, to me that's money well spent.::bigsmile:

The last time we had all new tyres on a car, we got a quote from our local tyre company, it was a lot more than a web site price, we told them and they cant match it, so we got them through the web.:Smile: Within a month Jane got a puncture, she changed the wheel, she took it to the local tyre co, they said it needs a new tyre you drove it flat...........:Doh: we know it was not flat, and what do you do, tyres off, you cant see any damage, but your not an expert, so you say you better put one on then.:Sad: I had four tyres put on a lorry drive axle, went to Scotland on the way back four days later, I could not believe my eyes two tyres were worn out, had to go to the tyre factory in Harlow, and the men in white coats came a checked them, could not work out what was up, and they did replace them in the end, but they tried every trick in the book at first trying not too.

I wish I had my lorries done over the years, at one point I was doing scrap metal, had more punctures and blow outs than I want to think about, I had a heap of wheels as big as my house.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And Jane used to bring them out, because my tyre fitter would fix all my punctures.:Smile: But you go to someone else or call someone out, the first thing they want to do is sell you a new tyre, the charge top money for a crap tyre.:cry:
The last puncture I got was on the A11 near Norwich, phone the tyre company and wait two hours, I'm in the layby but the puncture is on the off side with the cab swung round on to the path.:whatthe: Tyre fitter says I cant do that, need to get the Police out to cone a lane off, from start to finish about four hours.:Doh:And still put a new tyre on.:cry::Smile:

Its a bit like asking Calor about Gaslow..................:winky:Bob.

Last edited:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I must admit that I have used ultraseal in my goldwing tyres without any problems and currently have it in my Pan European. Have known people with the wheels being out of balance with it, but this was due to putting more than the recommended amount in.

I think I would have it fitted to a new MH, especially the ones which now come without a spare.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We used puncture seal in the security industry on high performance vehicles for years with no ill effects at all. I have also used it on trailers. the only thing we didn't have were punctures. I had a trailer tyre replaced that had done around 20,000 miles with Link Removed. It needed changing because it had serious cracks in the sidewalls; the ultraseal inside it was as fluid as the day it was put in.

There are inferior products out there that might chunk, clump or attack the tyre but ultraseal doesn't. I'm a fan, it works:thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I and most of my mates use Ultraseal in our bike tyres with no ill effect. I have known the feeling of terror that you get when a bike tyre sudenly deflates and if I can prevent that then I will. I know of others who have had punctures and the tyre has either remained inflated or deflated in a controlled manner giving warning that something was amiss.
I also use it in my trailer because I can't carry a spare wheel.
I think the secret to keeping the wheels turning smoothly is to put the correct amount in. Putting more in as belt and braces does'nt help.

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
OK. Here is my twopenworth. Many years ago I worked as a rep for a company that sold motorcycle tyres, and we visited the parent company in Wolverhampton.
During the talk we were shown tyres that had blown off the rim because the bead wire had rusted through due to the water vapour from tyre sealant.
We were informed that the use of sealants invalidated any warranty, and I have not seen anything in writing since to dispute this.
Having said that I see no real reason not to use it in the motorhome tyres PROVIDING that a regular check is made for damage ie nails, cuts etc.
Now , the main point. I would never, ever, advocate its use in a motorcycle tyre for the following reasons.
It is likely that a sealant will seal a small puncture caused by a nail etc, but it may occur at low speed riding through town.
If you did not have the sealant in, the tyre would deflate, but at a low enough speed that it would not be a problem. However with the sealant preventing
the deflation a high speed run down a motorway increases the tyre temperature significantly, and who would ride at 150 mph + knowing that there was a nail
in the tyre chewing its way around?
I have seen many bikes in for service with tyre pressures well below recommended levels, so if they don't check the pressures what would be the chances of
looking for nails, screws etc before going for a ride be? Nil. ( And yes we have found damage to tyres when servicing)
I once asked the rep for a well known sealant at what speed it was safe for and he said it was tested for 150mph. He was then asked to put it into a tyre,
we would puncture it with a small hole and the he was then to ride the bike at over 100mph past the shop. He declined and never came in again.
Sorry for the rant. VMax666

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Bob
We had it done for the new van has it does not have a spare, no obvious difference to the running and glad it was done by the company and not a self installation. Pete:thumb:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I have used it for 2 years now in my Van and no problem. My friend who owns a Tyre fitting company did mine. He states it is brilliant but would do him out of work.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
[quote="VMax666]he said it was tested for 150mph. [/quote]

Same as it says on their web sites and blurb in fact..

Careful examination will reveal an interesting fact.. No where does it say what the results of the tests were nor does it give a recognised testing facility as a point of reference !
Believe me, there is a reason !!

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, well I was expecting some to say its cr**.:Smile: But I must admit I would not want to do it myself, me being a 'that's near enough' sort. :winky: The chap who did it was spot on with what he put in each wheel and pumped up to the right pressure.:thumb: I only ever had one puncture in my Honda Goldwing, and only had the can of stuff to put in back then, but if I still had it, I would put Ultraseal in it.

VMax666 , maybe he could not ride a bike,::bigsmile: where is your shop, it cant be on a public highway he would be speeding.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We can only try it, you never wear motorhome tyres out, so if we can go 5 years without any trouble, we will have it done again.:roflmto:

JawsMC, what do you do with your Smart, if you get a puncture ? I know that Sonesta on the other side was towing their Smart on an A Frame to Portugal and the Smart got a puncture and they never knew, when they did it had knacked the wheel, and took a few days to get another one.
:cry: :Smile: Bob.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Re Smarty
I use a can of finigans ( its a goup you put in which works like punctureseal stuff, I believe Hafrauds do something similar )
What is the difference ?
Well to start with I KNOW my tyre has a hole in it and is damaged
next, it is not swilling about adding unsprung weight to the wheels

I could go on a bit but it gets boring :roflmto:

The important thing is that I KNOW there is a problem and can still get home ok, and can then go to a tyre fitter and get it sorted out properly

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
I have had ultraseal in the wheels of my motorhome and towcar for the past two years and its mere presence gives me confidence on my journies. Travelling to Spain is a worry when you hear stories of gypsies placing six inch nails in front of your wheel when you are at a petrol station, then following you until the tyre goes flat to carry out a distraction robbery. Using ultraseal alleviates this!. Additionally ultraseal is water soluble and can be washed out of a tyre. I recommend it.

Ian

F

fjmike

Deleted User
Not wanting to get into an argument but I have had Ultraseal in my Yamaha FJR1300 and it has been to Nordcap and back + several other long range trips with no probs. I also have it in my A class Pilote and haven't had to put any air in the tyres since it was put in two years ago. as a matter of course I frequently check to make sure that I don't have a sealed puncture which ain't rocket science. My problem now is that I have recently bought a Smart car and want to Ultraseal the tyres but can't find anyone to do the job (would prefer it done properly as I think all those that have had problems stem from DIY). anyone know of someone who will Ultraseal my Smartie (Swindon Wilts)??????????

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You wont catch me arguing over the stuff any more.. Learnt many moons ago that those that use it love it, those that dont errr.. well dont ! :Smile:
Be a funny old world if we were all the same.. :Smile:

FJMike.. tip for you.. not all insurance company's worry about it, but you should inform them you have it in the bike cos of all the incidents that have been reported good sir

Like us on this thread, some insurance companys love it while other add 5% on your premium.. and of course, you have an off and you have it in the tyres and have not told them..... well we ALL know how good insurance peeps are at wangling out of paying up !! :Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have it in the van tyres (put in professionally) and in the Smart car toad (done myself). Neither of these otherwise estimable vehicles has a spare, or anywhere to put one, in addition the Smart has wider wheels&tyres on the back than the front so presumably would need two spares (if as previously stated there was anywhere to put them). It gives a bit of peace of mind especially in foreign parts where there is a language problem (eg Yorkshire):ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yorkshire :roflmto: You want to be around he sometime, folk darentsay anything at times. I have a mate just over the border in Norfolk,:winky: and I need a translator. :Smile: Bob.

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No

Its not a lot of good if you have what happened to my daughter husband the other day. It oozes out. Hit an object in the road which tore a hole in a brand new tyre the size of a fist. nd the stuff oozed out all over the road. No spare wheel left him and his daughter and her boyfriend stranded in the middle of nowhere. Still waiting for a new wheel.

Traveller

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, its not good when that happens.:Doh: A friend of mine run over a small piece of metal in his truck, it flicked up hit his diesel tank...........:whatthe: and lost 500 ltrs of diesel and they shut the M1 for three hours to make the road safe.:cry: He said when the recovery truck came and got him it had spread for 2 miles.....:whatthe: Bob.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
If you go the web site the head office telephone number will put you in touch with a contact in your area for installation.

Re Smart car wheels i have a old style metal wheel as a spare which I take on longer trips just in case of a flat and although rear wheels are wider than the front on our smart it fits both back and front to get you to a garage for repair, I might have the smart treated as well when I get round to it. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

plasma

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
I must admit that I have used ultraseal in my goldwing tyres without any problems and currently have it in my Pan European. Have known people with the wheels being out of balance with it, but this was due to putting more than the recommended amount in.

I think I would have it fitted to a new MH, especially the ones which now come without a spare.

+1 ,i have in my bikes with no problems.

Plasma.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back