UKIP on Home Education

Discussion in 'Home Education' started by Jim, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

UKIP on Home Education

- The Government wants to nationalise our children and control home education.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I must say that when I've seen MHs doing this I do wonder how the kids are going to learn to react to other kids. My youngest grandchild is 2 and already goes to activity groups and soon he'll be on a regular part time course.

I'm not saying regulate against it but I think it's better for the kids to mix as soon as possible with a large group.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I cant see it happening, there is no obvious revenue.
    Beware Comrades they will nationalise fresh air soon!!!

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sorry, but the issue isn't whether home educating is a good or bad... that is for another debate and best discussed by those who have experience of both systems..

The issue is

Freedom Of Choice ... big brother telling you what to do, more control of what kids learn.. or not as the case may be.. they are certainly not interested in the quality of home education..

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

But it's so difficult to say they do not have a point, what would you do if you came across a kid with little education. Say "that is the parent's choice" or "that kid's life is being ruined". How about "that kid is being set up to become a terrorist" or "that kid is being brought up in the family religion". Minefield.

Close relative to this is child abuse. Now you're not going to say a word against that are you :)

Bottom line is that it's a soft target, "they" have to be seen to do something for their money and here is a nice easy option. There might be a whole 100 kids in the whole UK disadvantaged but what the hell We Are Doing Something.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

There are thousands of kids in Home Education not hundreds, (the vast majority for very good reasons) If someone is going to ruin a kids life they will do it where they home educate or not.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I saw a recent letter that a HELEN CRITCHELL wrote to a newspaper. I wholeheartedly agree with what she has to say.

• Like Like x 1
  8. billym

billym Read Only Funster

Thanks Jim

All good home educators ensure their children mix, usually with peers and kids of
    other ages, not to mention adults with whom they have actual conversations ! The notion of sitting at the kitchen table with mum for 6 hours a day is simply not reality.

Hilldweller I cannot follow your post about child abuse. You've been reading too
    much government propoganda me thinks.

I would also ask hilldweller where he has met motorhomers home educating their kids
    because in 9 years of doing just that all over Europe we have met no more than a
    handful.
    It is a shame you did not hear Janie Lee Grace, a broadcaster , on the radio on Sunday.
    She home educates her 4 kids and spoke so eloquently on the subject that I expect
    many who heard it may comsider doing it themselves.

My Life and other stuff:

The Government hate it as they can't control it. Long may it survive.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  9. hilldweller

If the state is watching children to detect child abuse then it's little different to watching them to see if they are being educated. One is, I assume, perfectly acceptable, the other it would seem not so to people in this thread.

I haven't met anyone educating their children away from school.

I have been watching my two granddaughters being given an excellent education in Stonehouse in Scotland. There is a wonderful community atmosphere to the whole village with good education in school and masses of extra curricular opportunities out of school. I have expressed an honest opinion that a child educated out of the system might be disadvantaged compared to this benchmark.

Of course there are places where they can only dream of such facilities so what is the answer there ? Self educate ? Improve the facilities ?

10. hilldweller

Clarification: I meant that there may be only 100 being home educated badly but it's still enough opportunity for the politician find A Cause, create a load of paperwork and cover himself/herself in glory.

11. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Ah, Hilldweller,

After my eldest child's first morning at pre-school, we were playing around and he scratched his nails down my arm. I asked him why he had done that and he told me that that was what his all of new friends did.

After his third morning, when I asked him what he had been doing, he told me that if a girl is playing with a toy that a boy wants, the boy can push the girl over and take the toy.

What kind of reaction to other kids are you in favour of?

And if 'it's better for the kids to mix as soon as possible with a large group', I would agree but would add that the group should not be made up of 30 kids of the same age, same background, same beliefs.

It's a big and varied world that my kids will be a part of.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hilldweller

Kids are little horrors. They have to learn how to interact and what it reasonable behaviour. Now if educated at home are you thinking that they would not have to go through this ? I don't know. It is an attractive thought. I do know humans are incredibly subtle creatures. Look how we sometimes screw up in forums because words that we would speak do not convey meaning in print. I think kids need to learn these skills at every opportunity.

When do you let them go ? How far can you go and give them the possibility of a university education ?

We can debate this forever because there is no answer, it is different for every child and potential school.

I'll tell you what really disturbs me, violence. I see what my youngsters are growing up with. Usually Yank crap cartoons where there is clear violent baddie who is always defeated by a good looking but equally violent goodie. It's horrifying.

13. artona

artona

Hi

Hilldweller said.........I have expressed an honest opinion that a child educated out of the system might be disadvantaged compared to this benchmark.

I get the impression of your knowledge on the subject is very limited, do some home education and read up on it.

Hilldweller said ........Close relative to this is child abuse. Now you're not going to say a word against that are you

no-one with a normal mind agrees with child abuse and no one would argue against it but these days a slapped hand is seen as child abuse, just in case it leads to other things. Thats just down right silly.

Hilldweller said.......... When do you let them go ? How far can you go and give them the possibility of a university education

depends what you have at hand. I would hazard a guess that a great number of home educated go on to university. I know one couple who home educated both their children in the 70s and both children are now marine biologists earning in excess of £150k a year, they too are home educating their off spring.

Hilldweller said ......Kids are little horrors

no they are not but the state education system and society often turns them that way

stew

14. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

Artona said no they are not but the state education system and society often turns them that way

You may be right Stew,but so do some parents :Wink:

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  15. hilldweller

>> I get the impression of your knowledge on the subject is very limited, do some home education and read up on it.

None existent. I have put 2 daughters through university via the state system and I am watching 3 grandchildren going through the state system, so I can comment from the other side. I got the impression that there was drop in standards from the first doing GCE and the second doing GCSE.

>> but these days a slapped hand is seen as child abuse, just in case it leads to other things. Thats just down right silly.

I agree totally. A quick tap is better than a thousand words. A case in question on Loch Lomond last year, 5YO middle child thinks the mooring line a fine plaything. Daughter says "Don't do that". Child takes no notice. Tap. Child now safe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

I completely agree with that. We are not fanatically anti-school - we home educate our kids simply because we know we can do a better job for these particular kids than any school can.
    However, having experienced the constant aggression and casual violence that is tolerated, or even condoned, in the average school, I'm pleased that they no longer think of that as normal.

• Like Like x 3
  17. olley

olley Funster

Has the child also learnt that by inflicting pain on others he can get his own way?

Olley

18. hilldweller

That's not really a question is it.

A carefully laid trap, but I'm not playing.

19. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

The average Numb-nuts, low-brow, mouth-breathing kid would already know that inflicting pain brings some kind of reward.
    I think that most kids are rather more sophisticated than that and would realise that a Fairy Love-Tap Angel Kiss from a respected adult would mean that they had passed a limit of acceptable behaviour.

• Like Like x 2
  20. hilldweller

We've got to wonder if this is not preparing them for the world that we have hand crafted for them.