Ukash Issue.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by NickNic, Jun 3, 2015.

1. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I applied for a UKash card a few weeks ago based on reports here of the better exchange rate. After a fortnight nothing had arrived so I emailed them. This is the reply I received;

It's no big deal for me at the moment because we aren't travelling for 6 weeks or so but anyone else thinking of applying and travelling sooner may need to be aware.

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Not directly relevant but reading that, noting one small grammatical error (might be others!) and the reference twice to "UK time" suggests they are not a company based in the UK, although no doubt they use a UK address and 'phone numbers. Which doesn't mean anything on its own. Just an observation.

3. NickNic

They are a legit company wherever they are based. Plenty of people on here use the card already.

I just wanted to make people aware of the delay if they have recently applied or are thinking of applying

EDIT: Just had a look and they were originally UK founded and based but have recently been acquired by Skrill Group which is a multinational with offices in UK, US, Austria and Sweden. Group CEO is British and based in London.

4. chaser

chaser Funster

Did anyone get the travelex card, I never heard anything about mine

5. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Hi when I went on to top mine up the other day there was a message on log in saying that there were technical issues with a supplier and cards were being delayed. Very apologetic but I ignored it at the time as I already have the card..

6. NickNic

And an update: Card arrived this morning.

The power of FUN (y)

7. peter marshall

peter marshall

We got ours at the Co-op travel, I don't know if your card gives a better rate but we walked out of the ofice with our's topped up and ready to go with Euro's credited to it, had it know for three years no prob's anywhere, shops garage's etc and if required top up on line which we have had no need to do. Pete

8. NickNic

UKash rate at the moment is 1.335. Caxton today is 1.33

9. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

What's the benefit of this card compared with regular debit / credit cards ?

10. NickNic

With almost all debit cards, and a lot of credit cards you will be charged a transaction fee when in Europe and often get a poor exchange rate.

The UKash and Caxton prepaid cards are both operated in Euros not Pounds so there is no point of sale exchange rate to worry about. You pre load the card whenever you want at an exchange rate that is usually very competitive. There are no transaction fees.

You can load the cards with Euros whenever you like to take advantage of good exchange rates when they are available.

I generally use these cards to withdraw cash and have a Halifax Clarity card (no fees) for purchases.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cobweb

Cobweb

Hi . We have a Fair FX € as well as $ card . The point is that you can buy the currency and load up the card when th Exchange rate is high. It is a. Bit of a camble at times but so far it has worked out well for us . Ours has been accepted in most shops and ATMs in France as well Germany . When the rate is exeptionally high they send an email to alert you .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Microchip

Microchip Funster

We have the Caxton and UKash cards, Caxton has always been reliable and easy to communicate with, they answer the phone very quickly if there are any problems.
    On the other hand we've had many problems with UKash eg. Card locked, cannot get an answer on the phone to sort problems out, and their website seems to have a lot of problems.

We are now letting UKash run out of euros and then will cancel it and stick with the Caxton.
    At the moment we have two, one on Visa and the other is on Mastercard.
    We found the Mastercard one was excepted on unattended fuel stations in France this May..

Keith..

• Like Like x 1
  13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We also use our Fair FX in this way, it is worth noting that one cannot use a prepaid card to pay for the road tolls in Europe! I have no idea why. Never had the card refused anywhere else.

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We use a normal Post Office credit card when abroad.. No charges except on cash withdrawals
    We get all out fuel, grub, and camp site fees using it.
    It is ONLY used for the above so never a problem and if ( god forbid ) it gets cloned, any weird transactions stand out like a sore thumb !

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It's possible that the same card manufacturer is involved with Caxton as mine is taking ages to come

16. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Now coming up as an unsecure site when you go to log in (n)

17. NickNic

That's only an expired certificate. It's a paperwork issue, nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1