Uk to Spain via Ferry with a Dog. (1 Viewer)

Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has anybody taken their dog on a ferry from the UK to Spain?

I am particularly interested in Cap Finistère and Baie de Seine Brittany Ferries. Can you take your pet to pet friendly cabins and exercise them as much as you want?

Any experiences good or bad?

Thanks in advance.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Yes, we have, last winter. The Pont Avon is the bigger ship but only has kennels (wire cages) so we used the Cap Finisterre, which has 14? pet friendly cabins which are booked up pretty quickly when the timetable comes out in early August.

We could exercise the dog as much we wanted on the deck above or below (can't remember which). It was stress-free for the dog and pretty good all round for us owners. Would do it again. However, the crossing was calm last time we did it!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have seen the wire cages and thought they were awful. A couple of dogs really unhappy and trembling. Would not put my dog in there.
Took short fast ferry, cherbourg to Poole and left dog in the van.
Have also done tunnel which would be my first choice :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It was the thought of the cages that worried me. Having the dog in the cabin with me would be the best bet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've taken two different dogs on the Pont Aven kennels. They were both fine with it though the younger dog (under a year at the time) settled down the best.

If you can get a pet cabin that might be best but plenty, including us of course, use the kennels. Dogs are generally very resilient creatures and won't come to any harm in a kennel. These are the Pont Aven kennels.

OI000309.jpg

And the exercise area.

OI000308.jpg

Unfortunately I can't help on the other vessels.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We've used both the Pont Aven and the Cap Finistere when travelling from Santander to Portsmouth. On both occasions we've had a pet friendly cabin and found that the exercise area on the Cap Finistere is much better than on the Pont Aven for winter travels as its undercover. We've booked a pet friendly cabin on the Cap Finistere for our winter tour later this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back