Uk to Spain via Ferry with a Dog.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Eeoodares, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Eeoodares

Eeoodares Funster

Has anybody taken their dog on a ferry from the UK to Spain?

I am particularly interested in Cap Finistère and Baie de Seine Brittany Ferries. Can you take your pet to pet friendly cabins and exercise them as much as you want?

Any experiences good or bad?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Yes, we have, last winter. The Pont Avon is the bigger ship but only has kennels (wire cages) so we used the Cap Finisterre, which has 14? pet friendly cabins which are booked up pretty quickly when the timetable comes out in early August.

We could exercise the dog as much we wanted on the deck above or below (can't remember which). It was stress-free for the dog and pretty good all round for us owners. Would do it again. However, the crossing was calm last time we did it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Have seen the wire cages and thought they were awful. A couple of dogs really unhappy and trembling. Would not put my dog in there.
    Took short fast ferry, cherbourg to Poole and left dog in the van.
    Have also done tunnel which would be my first choice :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eeoodares

Eeoodares Funster

It was the thought of the cages that worried me. Having the dog in the cabin with me would be the best bet.

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I've taken two different dogs on the Pont Aven kennels. They were both fine with it though the younger dog (under a year at the time) settled down the best.

If you can get a pet cabin that might be best but plenty, including us of course, use the kennels. Dogs are generally very resilient creatures and won't come to any harm in a kennel. These are the Pont Aven kennels.

OI000309.jpg

And the exercise area.

OI000308.jpg

Unfortunately I can't help on the other vessels.

6. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

We've used both the Pont Aven and the Cap Finistere when travelling from Santander to Portsmouth. On both occasions we've had a pet friendly cabin and found that the exercise area on the Cap Finistere is much better than on the Pont Aven for winter travels as its undercover. We've booked a pet friendly cabin on the Cap Finistere for our winter tour later this year.