LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Help needed please. I need your advice on the feasibility of spending the winter in the UK, in the motorhome.

Various reasons.

Would I need to drain all the water out of the vehicle? (obv. not the engine part!!)
Apart from that would I need to do anything else? Would the cassette toilet still work OK?

At the moment we're warm enough, staying on C&CC site with showers etc... so heating's not a problem.

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
lots of people fulltime in the UK, mind you they do in Scandinavia as well so I suppose its down to how your van is set up and winterised or not. The further north you are in the UK the colder it is likely to become. The South West being the warmest place as it benefits from the gulf stream.
So Pauline before we can advise further we need more detailks of your van, where are the water tanks situated (inside or out) do you have heating on inside 24/7 etc.
At the moment it is fine here and most winters are, my van not drained down yet as it would take several days below zero to affect it and not dropped below 8 deg C yet.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I fulltime and have done for the last 4 winters. Providing your waste tank and fresh water tank are not underneath your van and you keep the heating on 24/7 no issues.

I would recommend external silver screen for your windscreen etc. It does make a hell of a difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Generally UK winter temperatures are not as low as central France, we're further North but surrounded by sea which damps out the temperature variations.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
This will be our sixth winter and the only problems we have ever had were taps freezing up on sites , a quick blast with a blowtorch normally sorts it. if you have an external waste tank leave the drain tap open and put a bucket under (easier to empty than an iced up wastemaster or similar) if your fresh water tank is external it will at the very least need insulating and preferrably be fitted with a heatpad. other than that make sure you use propane gas.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
When we full timed in the van while we was working we had an electric heater low wattage cause it worked on the genny,and we had some really cold days and nights and the water never froze once, and now because of ill health we are unable to go to Spain, we will be in the van during the close down period, because we live in a static caravan we've managed to find a campsite with electric, The White Horse at Tattingstone, where had the meets.
Hopefully the water pipes will stay running if not just have to go into the pub and drink their beer.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
absolutely feasible and if you want to spend xmas in London and take advantage of everything here, let us know, you can camp at the side of our house and have xmas dinner with us xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
absolutely feasible and if you want to spend xmas in London and take advantage of everything here, let us know, you can camp at the side of our house and have xmas dinner with us xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Awww!! Thanks-what a kind invitation :Smile:
And thanks everyone--can always count on the best advice here.

Have an electric heater that can stay on 24/7. Also have another as a booster and they work fine on the hook up I have. Have propane in the English cylinder.
Water tank is underneath one of the seat but can't see any way of insulating it except possibly wrapping some insulation around sides of it.
Waste tank underneath vehicle.

I thought of just draining the tanks as can wash up / shower on site and use wet wipes for hands.

I'd be in Wiltshire (always seems quite damp here :Sad:) but near to daughter to help out when she brings baby home (not long now, we hope) and possibly be able to support a friend who has suffered the most awful loss imaginable.

Thanks again for all your ideas--will start looking at external screens.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
With a tank under the seat it will be fine whilst the van is heated and leave the waste tap open with a bucket.We have 12v tank heaters fitted (cheap fish tank heaters) as a secondary precaution.Survived the ski aires in alps so UK should be fine.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
With a tank under the seat it will be fine whilst the van is heated and leave the waste tap open with a bucket.We have 12v tank heaters fitted (cheap fish tank heaters) as a secondary precaution.Survived the ski aires in alps so UK should be fine.

Ah - light bulb moment for me! So simple, it never crossed my mind!:Blush:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Help needed please. I need your advice on the feasibility of spending the winter in the UK, in the motorhome.

Various reasons.

Would I need to drain all the water out of the vehicle? (obv. not the engine part!!)
Apart from that would I need to do anything else? Would the cassette toilet still work OK?

At the moment we're warm enough, staying on C&CC site with showers etc... so heating's not a problem.

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Not only feasible but pretty economical if you are a solo motorhomer. Caravan Club sites drop to their lowest rates through the winter (apart from the hype-fest fortnight) and several offer midweek discount. Averaged out, that's under £10 a night with 16A hook-up so you can heat your van on electric 24/7 at no extra cost. :Smile:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hi Pauline,

compared to winter in Perigueux, I guess you have come north for some warmth....

Totally agree with the external screens, they make a big difference to heat loss.

Norman

nice to see Twilight get some publicity on Little England

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Any ideas where / how I get this fitted? Approximate cost I should pay? I know about mains fish tank heaters but that's the extent of my knowledge!
is this the sort of thing: Link Removed

[HI]Missed seeing Twilight on Little England:cry::cry::cry:[/HI]

Last edited:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
if you have a large sky light , get a piece of Quintherm 25mm thick and cut it to fit in the recess it keeps the MH warm in winter and keeps the heat out in summer , look out for new house builds they have to put it in the roof now for insulation ask the roofer or look in the skip for a bit ,
The heaters you found are to put in your mug to warm the water up and will drain your battery very quickly ...
When you park up always remember to close your cab heater vents it is amazing how much draft comes through them ,

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I would forget the fish tank heaters as I think they could make the water to warm to be safe, ie Tropical fish require a normal maintenance temperature between approx. 22-29 o C (72-84 o F), to high a temperature can help bugs and bacteria develop. as your tank is inside as long as you have a bit of heat in the van you will be ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back