UK Number Plates Abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jollyrodger, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Only been on the road since Wednesday and it seems the plates are like a magnet .
    Stopped a time or two on the journey and each time , except one, knock knock couples an singles from the uk not seen another Brit for a while ,interesting all of them Bernard from Stirling (a member from the dark side )don't think I converted him :) even gave a card to the local plod who relieved me of €4 for overnight at Sabinanigo EHU and water ,interested in motorhomes and why I had a LHD on uk id.
    Today pulled in for a cuppa see a Brit van conversion got yapping over a brew ,same sort of background as Ian n Helga fame.looking to buy a place on a budget,realy nice guy ,told him to join and pick the brains on the forum so if your reading Tony go on ,best £15 you could spend :)
    Oh and a old chap push bike from Holland(three weeks ago) heading for Malaga not allowed to bike it through the Sompot tunnel filled up his water bottle as requested and a couple of cold coke cans he then headed up the side road over the mountains ,funny old world but great being on the road again (y) IMG_20160929_175425_987.JPG

• Like Like x 13
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

That's why I have German style number plates. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Nomad

The Nomad Funster

Good piccie.

Just to be semantic.....they aren't UK plates, but British plates.

Northern Ireland has a separate vehicle registration system.

I'll get my coat.......

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

To be sure :)
    Originally French.registered in UK (Wales :() English flag so a Euro van perhaps :LOL:
    IMG_20160930_220629_598.JPG

Getting my coat as well .....
    245k41l.gif

• Like Like x 1
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Mine is left hand drive with UK plates in German reg plate holders :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Yup, got the German style holders. Only thing is, you get Germans pointing and asking "where are you from" !

7. Techno

In fact
    FRENCH left hand drive van with UK plates in German holders :LOL:

I've had two really nice encounters with foreigners as a result that I recall (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

Some Brits only seem to want/be able to speak to other Brits or possibly a safe foreigner, ie Dutch as there's a good chance they'll speak English.

We have a Spanish registered van and rarely get spoken to by Brits on sites or aires unless we speak first. One Brit was so flustered when Martin spoke to him that his reply back was, sorry don't speak Spanish!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Techno

When I was at the large Aire in Cahors I spied another Rapido 7090 in the far corner. I figured he'd eventually clock mine and come for a nosey. We were sat out having a drink and a chat when I spotted him walking slowly passed the back of our van. He was taken aback when I started talking to him in my limited French. He understood enough to know I offered to show him all my improvements (ameliorations) We spent half an hour having a right good time but I suspect he left feeling his 3500kg version was a little under the bar :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Reminds me of the time we arrived at Le Crotoy and needed change for the payment meter. I went round to several vans proffering a 2 euro coin asking "Bonjour monsiure/madame, avez vous deux euros pour la machine s'il vous plait?" They first few checked but didn't happen to have any. I saw a chap walking past and tried my luck with him. I can't remember his response but I could make out what he said as he found two euro coins. I responded with a cheery, "Merci monsiuer, au revoir" and as I turned to walk away he said (to himself) something in English! I said, are you English, then?" Yes, he replied and with some relief on both sides were able to continue a 'normal' conversation.

Wyn

• Funny Funny x 1