Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Just to bring this subject up again as I am still (mentally) working on the idea of finding/organising a network of free(ish?) short stay stopover places for motorhomes since we do not have aires.

The councils are the obvious first point of call, followed by supermarkets etc..... but a couple of questions......

1... Whats in a name.... quite a lot I think. Can you think of a good name for them ? What would you google if you were looking for somewhere authorised to stop for the night ? ( asking on here doesn't count :Smile: )

2... I dont want this to turn into just a council flogging exercise so.... I know it has been attempted elsewhere but what do you think of parking on someones driveway for the night. Would you want to if someone handy offered it ? Would you offer yours free ( charge for hookup etc if available ) if others were doing the same ?

Your thoughts and comments please.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Motor Home Nightstop

I have a couple of cheap CLs close to me so an overnight stop on my patch might not work. I think every council will have an area of land suitable but there are costs involved in setting up and keeping travellers ( gypsies ) off.
Might take some persuasion . Good luck

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have lots of spare land that could be used for motorhome stop overs although a lot of land does have a planning reserve for new developments.

I would happily allow somebody to stop on my drive with EHU for the night. This would mean that I would have to park on the road but it wouldnt be a problem for a night or two.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
Hasn't something similar to this already been done?

If you "Google" motorhomestopovers.co.uk you will see their website.
Not really our idea of camping though.

Mick H.

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Thank you Jim (madbluemad) I will start off a list with your username and come back to you later, when it comes together a bit more, to see if you are still willing.

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Mick H

yes. as I said, it has been attempted before, Though i didn't know that was there website ( b@gger, I liked that name :ROFLMAO: ) i will check it out.

I was just thinking of includeing individual drives etc in a much bigger list.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
The MCC already run a scheme called 'Safe Knights' where other members can ring up & if they are at home & it's convenient you can arrange to stop overnight on their drive/land (there are even some down in Spain). Made use of a couple myself & we are also listed. From experience find that many people are reluctant to call a complete stranger & ask can I park on your drive for the night.

While I understand your intentions are good in practice we find that not many people seem to make use of something like this. There was even a website Aires Driveways but they intend charging, they offer one year free membership for the first in the county to sign up after that you are expected to pay. I for one would be uncomfortable with somebody charging to allow people to park on my drive, once you are paying for something then you expect more. Also how would your neighbours fancy your drive becoming like a campsite?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Graham, Motorhome stopover is a club which for an annual fee of I think now £35 offers over 200 free pub stopovers in exchange for using pub services, drink or food etc. I was a member during 2008 but never used it so have not renewed.

Larry

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
The pub Motorhome stopover pubs seemed a good idea on the face of it, although the site said you can stay one night for free it was expected that you eat or drink in the pub. So what are you paying the £35 fee for? You can ask at almost any pub & I'm sure if you ask can you stay if you have a meal they would let you.

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
The pub Motorhome stopover pubs seemed a good idea on the face of it, although the site said you can stay one night for free it was expected that you eat or drink in the pub. So what are you paying the £35 fee for? You can ask at almost any pub & I'm sure if you ask can you stay if you have a meal they would let you.

I can understand why they would want to charge for a list of suitable places, after all they have spent time ( and possibly money ) arranging and collating it all.......

£35 for a list of only 200 nationwide seems a little OTT:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

TBH, If you have stopped and had a meal and thrown a couple of pints down your neck I dont know how they could stop you from staying.

Jim

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
As far as the pubs are concerned, yes, they are on my list of possibles..... but I was planning to offer them the option to be listed as 'custom required' but suggest they didn't make it compulsory. they would lose some business from those who used the car park without buying there but I feel this would be more than offset by those who wouldn't use them ( even though they might want a meal or drink ) if it was 'compulsory' A lot of people dont want to feel compelled to do something.

I know you could ask at any pub but a pre published list of those who have suitable parking places would save a lot of frustrating driving about when you are tired.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
The guy running the pub stopover is a publican himself, also I think £35 a year is a bit steep, I couldn't find out if the pubs participating get any of this or they just rely on the custom they get. Don't forget this is just for the privilege for parking overnight on the car park. Adding up how much a meal & drink would cost a couple you might as well go on a CL (unless you want to go out for a meal but I would rather choose where I eat & not have to as part of the fee)

Graham I think it unfair the pubs offer to let you stay without any obligation, that was the flaw in the Pub Stopover scheme, while it says you can stay for one night for free with no obligation there was talk in the forum on that site (you can join that for free) that people who didn't frequent the establishment be named & shamed. It should be a clear if you want to stop you use the pub for at least a drink or make some kind of donation (for example how much profit are they going to make £2 -£5?? just give them the profit for what you would spend, they gain the same profit we aren't forced to pretend to be enjoying a night in a pub with a bunch of strangers if we don't want)

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
one of the magazines "practical motohome" is doing something like this in assocation the the motorhome club, its called nightstop

the magazine has a weby Link Removed

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I was just wondering. The pubs and the like who charge for mh overnight parking.

Is it legal for them to do so, do they declare the income in their accounts ??.

Would your insurance be valid if anything happend to you ??.

Jim

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Cant think of a sensible name for it but if anyone is in Dumfries they are welcome to park up at ourplace free of charge and could do ehu if needed so ad me to the list if you want.

Gerry

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
Although we don't have room for any more parking I would be willing to supply water to anyone who called by.
We have never had any problem in finding a stopover but getting fresh water can be a problem.
You can add me to the lsit if this helps anyone.

Artist in the van

Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bedale Stopover : recommendations please

We are looking for an overnight near Bedale, North Yorkshire; willing to pay reasonable pitch fees but not essential. A good evening meal close by, please.
Going to Thorp Perrow Arboretum. Thanks.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Phone my nephew

at the King's Arms, Sandhutton, he lets motorhomers overnight in his (very small) car park. The food is delicious and he has a farm shop, but get there early! 12 miles to Thorp Perrow from there.

Catherine

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Graham, Motorhome stopover is a club which for an annual fee of I think now £35 offers over 200 free pub stopovers in exchange for using pub services, drink or food etc. I was a member during 2008 but never used it so have not renewed.

Larry

No need to pay for that information, my free map of Pub Stopovers can be accessed from my signature and from the funsters members maps section. :Cool:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
not the uk

its not the UK,but if any Funsters traveling in the middle to north of Sweden,we always have room for a stop over here with water Etc if needed,Cheers Alf.

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
Just to bring this subject up again as I am still (mentally) working on the idea of finding/organising a network of free(ish?) short stay stopover places for motorhomes since we do not have aires.

The councils are the obvious first point of call, followed by supermarkets etc..... but a couple of questions......

1... Whats in a name.... quite a lot I think. Can you think of a good name for them ? What would you google if you were looking for somewhere authorised to stop for the night ? ( asking on here doesn't count :Smile: )

2... I dont want this to turn into just a council flogging exercise so.... I know it has been attempted elsewhere but what do you think of parking on someones driveway for the night. Would you want to if someone handy offered it ? Would you offer yours free ( charge for hookup etc if available ) if others were doing the same ?

Your thoughts and comments please.
no i wouldnt its wrong and not what decent people do steve:whatthe:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi
Cant think of a sensible name for it but if anyone is in Dumfries they are welcome to park up at ourplace free of charge and could do ehu if needed so ad me to the list if you want.

Gerry

Typical of you Gerry, thanks. I am in the process of purchasing another home and would be able to offer a Night-Stop, One-Stop, Drive-Stop, Night-Break, whatever.

I would only offer it for one night at a time and the area I'd be buying in would turn out to be awfully popular. My point being that I wouldn't want a funster staying for a week or two just because it's cheap or free, unless of course it's you Gerry. :winky:

This has legs for sure, someone will make it work, why not you 6pm Cowboy, you could call yourself 'The Cowboy Outfit'.
:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back