uk drining license abroad

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by martin bastow, Feb 26, 2011.

1. martin bastow

martin bastow Read Only Funster

Hi, ruth and I a new to the forum , so hi...
    we live in spain ,currently o uk licenses and want to buy a n and b flair which is over 3 tonnes aloud on a spanish license. We could purchase in uk and insure though uk company I think but I am not sure about the practicalities like MOT, and services. Has any one had any similar experience ?
    thanks
    martin

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I think you will find you are going to need to meet the..

If I am not wrong, and I am sure someone will point out if I am (as they do) if you are in Spain you have to have it tested and meet there MOT requirements.. if the motorhome is registered in Spain then you may have some issues getting in sured by a UK company.. dependent on where you have it registered. I gather Spain has a few rules about motorhomes we do not.

Anyway .. like a bus I expect three will come along together and give you the facts.

Thanks for your post..

Bob:thumb:

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If you are resident in spain then you have no real choice, you must register/insure/itv in Spain and abide by their rules. Anything registered and insured and MOT'd in the UK will require uk residency or at the very least a valid UK address. Mot will require you to come back to the UK for it, you will also run foul of insurance if the van spends more time out of the UK than in it unless you have fulltimers insurance which could be expencive. so really you need a big rethink or you will run foul of a law somewhere.

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

There are a few uk insurance companies that will insure expats vehicles but not sure if motorhomes are included. If the vehcile is spanish registered then you have it mot'd according to their regs.

http://www.blackfriarsgroup.co.uk/overseas/overseas_insurance_spain.htm

one such company, I know they insure caravans so assume motorhomes would be possible as well. My sister who lives in spain has her car insured through the above company

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You don't say if Spain is your main or only residence, if so it will be far simpler to buy, register and insure in Spain as importing a vehicle from the UK to Spain is far from straight forward.

This may apply : .. From ex pats forum
    Plenty more info on this site : SpainExpat.com