UK Aires in supermarkets?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Elvis, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

How about lobbying some of the large supermarkets to offer an area for MHs in their huge car parks for one night stop-overs?

There could be a section, with water & waste area for a few MHs, the car parks are empty at night anyway and they could insist there is a 'minimun spend' of say £5 or £10 in the shop, just produce the reciept and get a token to put on windscreen.

There are a zillion s/markets all over the UK, with big empty car parks, some very central locations too! Most have some sort of security, like CCTV.

Stand a better chance with them, than the councils I would have thought.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Seriously good idea. Of course the councils could still scupper it on planning grounds.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and the supermarkets public liability insurance company would as well:Sad:

4. twooks

twooks Read Only Funster

what a negative lot - must be something in the water p'raps

5. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

got a point though

Well negative or not they all have a point but nothing is insumountable hey and money always talks, generally what the big supermarkets want, they get .... would have to convince the S/markets it's a money spinner and good customer relations, they will take care of the rest, to include the councils :BigGrin:

But how to convince the s/markets? :Cool:

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

you could start with Asda .. their parent company Walmart do it in the States

but surely Asda management are aware of this practice, I fear there is another stumbling block..

7. Lincolnshire Rover

Lincolnshire Rover Read Only Funster

Tesco's near Dereham Norfolk is next to a Motorhome and Caravan Dealership and all around the perimiter roads and in the car park are signs warning NO overnight parking offenders will be towed away . I think that answers your question regarding aires at supermarkets :moon:

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I contacted all the major supermarkets about two and a half years ago about general parking, not necessarily overnighting. Unfortunately the responses Here were not particularly encouraging. However, we're in a different ballgame now with the economic situation so they may well be more sympathetic if they think they might generate extra business.

Apparently (see note on page referenced) Tesco allow overnighting at the discretion of the store manager but never tried it myself. I've also read that Walmart (owner of Asda) allow overnighting in the USA.

There are contact details on the supermarket web sites so go for it Elvis. They might well be willing to try schemes linked to spending a certain amount. Nothing to lose anyway so good luck.

Graham

9. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

didnt know that!

Wow, didnt know they did it in USA .... cool :BigGrin: Well, they prob don't think there is a call for it over here, let's face it, no one over here really thinks about MHs :Sad: They just need to be reminded.... I will try and think of a letter so any advice on content would be great :thumb:

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

anything is worth a try. in spain in polmones campers stay in lidl carpark ,not allowed in carrefoure. so now i dont shop at a carrefoure. alot here seem to have barriers at night. suppose its because of donut boys being a pest.

11. scotjimland

Walmart

From US Net RV web site

Common sense rules about staying the night at Walmart​

No pop up trailers or tents.

Don't stay if "No overnight parking" signs are posted.

Obtain permission from a qualified person at the store that it's okay to stay. However, if there are already many RVs parked nearby each other in the parking lot, you can probably assume overnight stays are allowed.

Park in an out-of-the-way corner of the parking lot. You will often find other RVs already there.

Do not set up awnings or pull out your barbecue or lawn chairs or do anything else outside your RV that suggests you are "camping." In other words, "blend in!"

Do not use hydraulic levellers. You'll hurt the asphalt.

Make no noise. Don't use your generator unless you are parked in a far corner of the lot with nobody around including nearby residences.

Don't extend your RV's slideouts unless absolutely necessary.

Limit your stay to one night. Never consider a Walmart a campground, only a place to stay a night while on the way to somewhere else or as a place to get some sleep when you are so tired that it would be dangerous to keep driving.

Buy something from the store before leaving. Support the RV accessories department.

Never litter. And pick up and dispose of any litter that is already there.

Don't stay if your RV has a leak in a waste holding tank or is dripping any oil or other automotive fluid.

Carry a pack of post cards with you. After you leave the store after staying the night, send one to the manager thanking him/her and noting that you purchased something while there (if you, in fact, did).

Remember, the more people who abuse these rules, the more stores will post "No overnight parking" signs.

Tell any RVer you observe violating these rules that you do not appreciate his or her behavior.

12. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

short sighten

Yes but we all know how short-sighted the Brits are, they have to be convinced (at the top), sold the idea first and with your example, they prob got fed up with having loads there and not leaving in the morning ... no rules set, needs to be on their terms ..... see what people mean about negative :Blush: Positive help needed please !!!! :Eeek:

13. Pronto

Pronto Read Only Funster

SuperU do it France - but the French do seem to be a bit more advanced than us Brits ...

14. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

The Asda store at Bristol, (Cribbs Causeway) J17 M5, used to allow overnight parking for HGVs at the top end of the car park, because a lot of us (retired now) HGV drivers used to do a bit of shopping and use the extremely good and cheap cafeteria there.
    However it got a bit silly as drivers were doing Number 1s and 2s and slinging rubbish about the car park so ASDA said NO MORE!! and they wonder why !!!.

It is still prevalent in laybys and the like lovely smell of wee-wee and poo-poo when will we learn!!

15. scotjimland

Couldn't agree more, SuperU and also Intermarche , here is one in Brittany with a coin operated laundry facility , bourne and safe FREE parking..

[​IMG]

16. camperman1

camperman1 Read Only Funster

We would have to be a bit careful as there are some real idiots in the motorhoming community. The other half and I went to ASDA at Brighton Marina and one motorhome was parked in the middle of four spaces and as a former supermarket manager I was not impressed.

I would not be surprised to find a height barrier in operation on our next visit.

Camperman 1

17. olley

olley Funster

Hi Jim is that site on your RV map? if not, why not? :BigGrin:

Olley

18. scotjimland

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  19. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Wow that looks superb they certainly got things right when it comes to accommodating travelers. I guess thats why people head that way, in comparison with the UK, it does seem to be totally opposite.

Maybe over here we get tarred with the same brush as the tinkers (not sure if thats the right deception/), i don't know ;but would account for the somewhat unfriendly attitude which seem to exist.

Whilst i support the original poster quest i don't think its going to be an easy task apart from the supermarkets themselves there will be councils and it also has to be OK with the vast majority of customers that go there.

I hope you are successfully in your mission

Regards

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Have a look Here. Aimed at councils but you may be able to adapt it.

Graham