Udo's First Outing (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Having bought Udo from somewhere near Berlin last weekend and driven him back, we thought a shakedown weekend to see what's what was in order.

The rule was somewhere reasonably near our home, 'Autoglym Towers' in Berkshire.

A place called Twilight Leisure Park appeared near Banbury. It's a small place situated next to a canal and within easy reach of the M40. So we thought it worth a shot as it's just over an hour's drive away.

Due to the cold weather and general laziness, we decided to take advantage of a visiting fish and chip van to the site shortly after we arrived. Naturally, this meal needed a few drops of an alcoholic beverage to wash it down, so we brought with us a bottle of Bolly. As one does.

So our first meal in Udo, thus...

2ac3e0678b275e5609cd8f60f980a480.jpg

The Webasto did its thing rather well and kept the cold out. In fact, we had to turn it down to minimum as it provided so much heat and Udo is pretty thoroughly insulated.

One of the nicest features of RMB's are their windscreen blind. As the side windows are double glazed, the blind seals things off and, typically, is built like the proverbial.

c8efa473df675dd698284cdca638bb45.jpg

So, what to do on a lazy Saturday with the family? Well, in my case another bottle was opened. Of Autoglym this time. The job I did wasn't anything special by my own standards, but it made a decent enough visual improvement.

Oh yeah, notice the glass of red.... Mid-afternoon refreshment post-polish. I thought I'd earnt it.:Smile: The Isabella chairs were SO comfortable, too. Can't recommend those highly enough.

d75f2ec3e0b81ddfee73ee5375213344.jpg

6bac760ede4d5949890a954c5d67d0ad.jpg

The polishing showed Udo to be in very good shape cosmetically, so time very well spent.

After that, we decided a walk along the canal was in order. It's right next to the site and well worthwhile. We've always wanted to buy a canal boat and love their relaxed demeanour. Sound familiar?

851e077661d45ae5b4bf33dc505354a8.jpg

Water boiler issues aside, Udo really justified all the effort I spent to buy an RMB and indeed an older motorhome. The layout simply 'worked' and, apart from a slight lack of kitchen worktop space, we feel we did OK.

Next trip early next year is to get the boiler fixed and the refillable gas sorted and working.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Nice van. I had an issue with my water heater on mains when I bought it. It was the electric element burnt out. They are available, but a slightly different shape than the original.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Looks as if you are definitely getting the hang on this motorhoming lark,:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Carol, it took two MH hire sessions as true 'newbie' episodes and I like to think we hit the ground running on this trip.

There were tensions, though.

First was when my new EHU cable didn't get delivered on time, so we made an emergency trip to Halfords to buy another, only to discover the cable arrived just before we needed to leave. So now I have two.

On another note, Udo also passed his MOT on Friday. So now the UK registration process can begin.

But we needed to discover what the many and various switches did. It's all glaringly obvious once known, but there were many head-scratching moments on Friday when we couldn't figure out how to get certain lights on.

It would help if we were fluent in German, but it's almost enjoyable translating relevant stuff bit by bit.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I am sure anything really mysterious a pm to Dave (Snowbird) would be able to unravell it (our Hymer still has the instructions on things in German) and its 13 years old :Smile:

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've abused Dave quite a bit so far already and he's been great. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Now look what you have done........Prompted me to get the polish out. I will be doing it in Benidorm though, so a little more comfortable ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

One of my next jobs is to compile a dedicated cleaning kit for Udo so I can keep him looking his best.

Now here's another RMB peculiarity that I found very appealing... The stainless hubcaps are screwed in place. Not just a push-fit, but two countersunk screws into the wheel hub.

Oh, and another job completed yesterday that's timely for this time of year is to lubricate all the locks with bike chain oil to they don't freeze. I know Udo is in heated storage but the locks dry out over time and it never hurts to lubricate them once in a while.:thumb:

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Thanks!:thumb:

I'll send you the 20 or so manuals we have...::bigsmile:

When I find some time, I may scan relevant bits and email them to you if you're agreeable?

My iPhone has a decent-ish translation app that's helped enormously so far, although its latest translation went thus...

'All other hot water first then bring on hot water setting. Come now everywhere bubble-free water is the fresh water pipeline system operational.'

Good job we've a decent sense of humour!:roflmto:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If you need help with your German, use "Dads Army" or "Allo Allo" like wot I did.........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8o2QqcFRyg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8o2QqcFRyg[/ame]

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I was going to start polishing today after emptying the tanks and filling with fresh water. Half way through emptying the black tank the macerator stopped. After 2 hours stripping it down, cleaning and rebuilding then a shower it was time for my nap so will try again tomorrow. Ahh the joys of motorhoming :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back