Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi has anyone had any dealings with Uber Leisure Motorhomes, Epping, went to look at a van today and decided to sleep on a decision, but I can,t find any customer reviews about the company. Their website reads good, but so would mine if I wrote a website. I saw a van that seems reasonably priced, they will mot it, give it a habitation certificate and 3 months general warranty, although the man was a bit vague on what was covered. If anyone has bought from this company I would love to know how they got on cos there is a distinct lack of customer feedback

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Most of their "stock" appears to be sold which gives a slightly false impression. It is a buyers market; plenty of other dealers out there; if they had real stock the website would look a lot different.....

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I have recently assisted a member here who had enormous problems with a used motorhome they purchased from Uber, which included promises of habitation damp checks and required a major rebuild because of extreme damp penetration. In this instance they were neither helpful nor cooperative, indeed they were downright obstructive IMO, and on that basis I would never consider dealing with them personally.

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks for the comments, I had sort of made my mind up not to buy and your comments have confirmed my suspicions. I just didn't want to pass up what might have been a decent motorhome from what appeared to be a scruffy company. While searching for replacement motorhome I am amazed at how many people don't bother to prepare their van for sale, cleaning, tidying it up, even leaving all their gear in the cupboards. when checking doors etcetera you do not want to come face to face with someone's old pants! These are obviously the ones to pass on
cheers
Gazzeroo

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the comments, I had sort of made my mind up not to buy and your comments have confirmed my suspicions. I just didn't want to pass up what might have been a decent motorhome from what appeared to be a scruffy company. While searching for replacement motorhome I am amazed at how many people don't bother to prepare their van for sale, cleaning, tidying it up, even leaving all their gear in the cupboards. when checking doors etcetera you do not want to come face to face with someone's old pants! These are obviously the ones to pass on
cheers
Gazzeroo

Or they are the bargains because everyone else passed !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
I agree CP but my fear is that if they can't be arsed to prepare their van for sale, they probably haven't looked after it while they've owned it. Plus the ones I've looked at want top dollar

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I agree CP but my fear is that if they can't be arsed to prepare their van for sale, they probably haven't looked after it while they've owned it.
I'd have to go along with that line of thinking too.

On a slightly different slant, we once went to look at a private sale many years ago. It was their pride and joy. The MH was lovely (initial impressions) as was their house. he was so keen to show me all the little mods he had carried out to his pride and joy, and he had just paid Broonfools at Newark yet again, to carry out a habitation and damp check, with receipts to show.

I don't know what damp meter they had used (if one at all), but it certainly wasn't giving "off the scale" readings that our damp meter was giving out............and the finger test confirmed the findings, ie, sodden through in the area tested. I felt so sorry for the couple, as they had really looked after their MH over the years of ownership, but were severely let down by Broonfools. :(

Without a bit of knowledge of what to look out for, one can so easily be taken in, costing them £0000s. :(

@gazzeroo. Good luck with the search for a "good un". (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
thanks Jock, it's certainly a minefield, but I will do me best

doesie

Free Member
Aug 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking right now
Exp
Since 2010
hello there - I just read this thread with dismay - I have been looking for a small autosleeper motorhome for a while now and finally arranged to view one right price, one onwer from new, serviced, habitation checks done, right spec, layout etc. and it's at Uber Leisure Epping! I have asked them to have a damp meter at the ready and the necessary gas, water, hook-up lead to check everything is working...then saw this awful review :( Would you still go see it??? anyone had any more recent experience of them as dealers?

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Many years ago I went to see a Hymer that was advertised as very low mileage in good condition.
The thing was an absolute wreck, yes it was low mileage as it had been driven down to Spain, lived in for a number of years , hardly ever driven anywhere, and driven back.
Low millage means nothing when referring to a motorhome.
Buyer beware !

doesie

Free Member
Aug 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking right now
Exp
Since 2010
I was really asking about Uber Leisure....

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

If you look further down the listing you can see that this business seller is Aaron Mercer, a sole trader who is using the trade name Uber leisure.

You need to read his terms and conditions of sale that are also on this listing. It is clear from his T&Cs that he purports to only offer this item for sale to business buyers i.e. to the MH trade. As a consumer* you should avoid buying this item.

*[Even though the T&Cs cannot exclude effectively your statutory rights as a consumer, you don't want to have to argue the point with this seller.]

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If you look further down the listing you can see that this business seller is Aaron Mercer, a sole trader who is using the trade name Uber leisure.

You need to read his terms and conditions of sale that are also on this listing. It is clear from his T&Cs that he purports to only offer this item for sale to business buyers i.e. to the MH trade. As a consumer* you should avoid buying this item.

*[Even though the T&Cs cannot exclude effectively your statutory rights as a consumer, you don't want to have to argue the point with this seller.]

Also has no seller feedback since 2013 which is strange.
DP

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What I find strange is two possibly really good Mo Ho being discounted base on the experiences of others with totally un related vehicles.
If the two vehicles in question were moved to a better dealership would it make them better vehicles?
You are not buying into the business or the sellers promises.
Buy with your eyes,your nose and your head.
If not sure take someone with you who is.
A Motor home is what it is no matter who sells it.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Agree with Geo , I forgot to add in my previous post that my experience was with a large well known dealership and say again, buyer beware no matter where you buy from.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think a lot of there stock is hp snatchbacks and stuff thats to old for top level dealers basicly i would treat them as a private sale and expect little back up they are cheap but probably for a reason.provided you identify any problems and factor in to repair they are possibly bargains if your not practical and want a turn key motorhome you will have to pay top price
As geo said let your eyes be your guide and your money the last thing you part with

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
TIME TO PAUSE

Trading as a “sell to trade” website
Not registered as a company.
Name quoted above (Aaron Mercer) is registered as a different (camper van)company that does not post accounts because turnover is “too small”
Address is a farm with multiple units, presumably all let to third parties

TIME TO PAUSE

Are you interested because you want to buy from a “dealer” for security
Are you interested because it is cheaper than all the others you have spotted at dealers

If the 1st- walk away
If the 2nd- buy it as you would from a private with ZERO expectations of anything

doesie

Free Member
Aug 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking right now
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks everyone, this isnt a heart purchase but a head one - done the heart thing with 2 campers to date and should have used my head!!!
I am looking into buying this van because it seems to meet the spec I have been looking at for some time (layout, one owner, servicing), price (seems OK to me given my research). I have bought from a dealer before and it was a waste of time in terms of comeback. So I am treating this is a private sale - and will want to negotiate a few hundred at least off because MOT history suggests rust issues (nothing chassis) and I want to have some cash to deal wiht any problems straight away before big probs emerge. I'm not anticipating after sales help as I am 85 miles away anyway. Eyes open, ears open, nose for damp open, camera at the ready for any rust issues remaining from MOT, rug for lying on the ground and having a good look at rust underneath at the ready, will make a decision only when safely home and having taken pics of the underneath to my local mechanic. Plus I have asked for their damp metre to be made available + to see all services working.
Anything else I should be checking???

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
For what it’s worth,I think if your head is where your post above suggests, then go for it providing it searches clear with HPI
All the best

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks everyone, this isnt a heart purchase but a head one - done the heart thing with 2 campers to date and should have used my head!!!
I am looking into buying this van because it seems to meet the spec I have been looking at for some time (layout, one owner, servicing), price (seems OK to me given my research). I have bought from a dealer before and it was a waste of time in terms of comeback. So I am treating this is a private sale - and will want to negotiate a few hundred at least off because MOT history suggests rust issues (nothing chassis) and I want to have some cash to deal wiht any problems straight away before big probs emerge. I'm not anticipating after sales help as I am 85 miles away anyway. Eyes open, ears open, nose for damp open, camera at the ready for any rust issues remaining from MOT, rug for lying on the ground and having a good look at rust underneath at the ready, will make a decision only when safely home and having taken pics of the underneath to my local mechanic. Plus I have asked for their damp metre to be made available + to see all services working.
Anything else I should be checking???

A half decent damp meter is not expensive - u will use it every year whilst u own a motorhome.

I would buy your own and use it on the van u wish to buy :)

Don't rely on their meter.

A non invasive one is best.

doesie

Free Member
Aug 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking right now
Exp
Since 2010
It's a bit of a game this campervan buying and selling !!eh

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
be VERY aware that that area is known for P1ke y traders on farms. buyer beware

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
be VERY aware that that area is known for P1ke y traders on farms. buyer beware
If it is this Aaron character the company is kosher and registered at companies House.
Saying that, one elderly (dob 1931) lady director was appointed in 2016 and resigned the same day..... The day this bloke was appointed sole director.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back