EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Does any one have experience with the Tyron belts, that are meant to stop the tyre rolling of the wheel in the case of a blowout?

In principle it seams a good idea, but I have doubts otherwise they would be fitted to every vehicle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they aint fiited as standard due to cost...they aint cheap.
but they must be worth the cost as they are fitted to police patrol cars and ambulances

i have a set of 13" bands i inherited with a car but never used them.

they are very effective but its better not to have a punture than help to control it if you do.

in my opinion the tyre will still be a rightoff if a sudden blowout happens so a good quality punture preventative treatment is better in my view.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you can afford them, get them. They have a few negatives but these are far outweighed by having the ability, in a heavily laden motorhome, to drive to a safe place and then change a wheel. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKwjfWXGU4U&feature=related[/ame]

try this link

kaspian

Free Member
Aug 16, 2009
bonnie Scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 months and counting!
Tyron bands

Hi, we had them fitted as an extra to our last caravan and several insurance companies offered a substantial discount for fitting them so they must be highly regarded by those in the know as far as helping maintain control in a blowout therefore minimising damage. I say the same as Jim above, if you can afford them go for it . The one time you need them they may just save more than your vehicle from damage and no, I do not have any connection with the company!

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
We had them fitted on our last Caravan and yes they work
Had a blow out in the middle lane off the M6 doing 60
Tyre stayed on and got us onto the hard shoulder

Tyre companies will charge you around £15 to change a tyre fitted with them, because its quite an awkward job

Alan H

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having seen the video we got them fitted to our van three years or so ago. No idea how effective they are because we've (happily) never been in a situation to find out. Like all types of risk management/insurance though it is a judgement call. We thought it was worth the cost for the peace of mind.

Had the tyres changed in January and had to get Kwik Fit mobile to do the job rather than taking the van to one of their depots. Cost £20 for home visit but didn't have the boredom of hanging around. Kwik Fit price for the tyres was in the general ballpark so didn't feel it cost extra having to go to them.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back