Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Has anyone any thoughts on using a Tyresealant to protect tyres from puncture and
( so the ads say) to prolong tyre life? Looks like a good idea, but I would love to hear what the motorhome experts think!
Thank you

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I have not done it to mine,but i almost bought the Product for a business ,its good stuff and i have it in my motorcycle tyres,it does as it says ,with larger tyres it needs to be done by the supplier(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It does work well in small tyres, but I'd not trust it at high speed, I have a garden tractor lawn mower that was always getting punctures from thorns , but since putting that in about two years ago, never had a flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
works very well .i used to use oko. . ideal for desert travel as desert thorns can and do give lots very small punctures in tyres . nothing strange in 11 punctures in one day.
the green slime of oko can sometimes be seen sprayed around the wheel arch.
the bad news is repairs to the tyre is difficult . but the old fashioned heated vulcanizing works . i used to stick tubes in if i really had to but they are difficult to repair after being covered in slime.
tubeless puncture kits are around to stick strips in from outside the tyre . they work well . mind are sold as temporary repairs but i have known them last 10 years .
i carry tubes , slime ,patches ,and can repair tyres and tubes if needed . having air brakes on the trailer a compressor is on board so pumping up tyres is easy.
oko is used in tractors ,trucks ,you name it does the job.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The manufacturers DVD showed a 25mm bolt being hammered into a large tractor tyre and then being pulled out with no adverse effects ,they then showed a car tyre running over about 50 nails ,from memory the product could contain a sidewall cut up to 15 mm and was guarranteed up to 70mph ,but that was about 12 years ago,things may have changed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have used one of these sealants for the last 8 years on two sets of tyres with no problems. I have no spare on the mh.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Has anyone any thoughts on using a Tyresealant to protect tyres from puncture and
( so the ads say) to prolong tyre life? Looks like a good idea, but I would love to hear what the motorhome experts think!
Thank you

My thoughts are I'd rather not..
Pre puncture sealants have a place but for normal motoring ..I'd rather not use them. I'd rather know I'd damaged/punctured the tyre.
You may never know you have a tyre with some foreign object in it that may cause more serious problems ..
I don't believe that any sealants either pre puncture or the puncture repair stuff that is commonly supplied now are supposed to be considered permanent... trouble is how do you know you have had a puncture with the pre puncture stuff.. so it effectively becomes permanent. ..and most probably in 90 odd percent of the time that won't be an issue... but it just might!!!
Andy.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
What happens if you get a few punctures and it turns into a split .Even ar 60 mph I wouldn't fancy that .If my tyre goes down I get the opertunity to decide whether to repair or renew ,Just prefer to go that way lol

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Have used this product for years and have never had a puncture (touch wood). In comparison with the puncture repair products you buy from Halfords etc, these products are not liked by tyre fitters as it is very sticky they will not change these tyres. The puncture proof green slime is water soluble and washes off very easy. As with any tyre if you get a split in the side the tyre has to be replaced. With the slime I never seem to loose any pressure. Go for it.

colyboy

Reactions: Sue
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My brother in law worked for a puncture sealant company many years ago. He was involved in supplying the ministry of defence hundreds of gallons for use on military vehicles heading to war. Feedback after 3 months was 100% positive. I've used it in over 27 vehicles since then and never had a puncture. The variation of vehicles was from small disabled scooters upto 40 ton truck/ trailer combinations.

Reactions: Sue

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Was told by the fitter at a well known tyre firm that they would not repair a tyre that had been treated with any kind of sealant.

That said, if a sealant wouldn't fix it, it's probably scrap anyway. I carry a can of emergency gunge as well as having a spare wheel but am reluctant to use it. Sods law, I got a puncture whilst in Morocco but luckily was on a campsite and the guardian got a local to come and sort it for me. (I was also actually carrying a spare tyre carcass as well, just in case).

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The manufacturers DVD showed a 25mm bolt being hammered into a large tractor tyre and then being pulled out with no adverse effects ,they then showed a car tyre running over about 50 nails ,from memory the product could contain a sidewall cut up to 15 mm and was guarranteed up to 70mph ,but that was about 12 years ago,things may have changed
And some people worry about a tyre being six moths old ( I exaggerate)
They are actually tough things tyres and they dislike several things though heat , flexing from overloading or under pressure , sunlight and ozone

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
"And some people worry about a tyre being six moths old"

That's the problem : b----y moths. They used to eat my clothes : now they are gnawing away at tyres as well!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
And some people worry about a tyre being six moths old ( I exaggerate)
They are actually tough things tyres and they dislike several things though heat , flexing from overloading or under pressure , sunlight and ozone
I had a set of 6 year old tyres that were kept in a Shed all covered up ,they both delaminated within 10 miles of each other ,i was towing a 2.5 ton boat at the time ,no loss of control ,at first i thought i was driving on the cats eyes,it was a similar sound ,then when i stopped to check i found both tyres delaminated ,i had allowed my wife to reverse the trailer earlier and she had crabbed it into place ,i think it was a combination of that and the age ,i now change tyres regardless after 4 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back