Tyres (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I do think that MH, caravan, trailer tyres are totally different from car, van, truck tyres as they are mostly stood standing in one position for most of the year with all the weight on a credit card size piece of the tyre.
My van moves as well done 33000 in 2 years . From new

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Delivery is cheap fitting is about £10 each if you shop around and you can do one at a time if needed. So say £140 per wheel thats £560
His price was for Continental
A new set of Continental Vanco tyres are circa £675 fitted..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
So what van are you trying to attach a spare to?
CA_04071316410368-XL.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Fortunately only a small hole in the wheelarch, but severe damage to my wallet, but nobody died or was injured. That police were not impressed when I told them my breakdown service had been contacted. Alliance Insurance. MADRID. Its only a phone call away they arranged a local garage to change my tyre and I was on my way again. Crisis avoided. You wouldn't be advised to try to change a tyre in a live carriageway on a motorway or even on the hard shoulder, get behind the barrier, high viz jackets on, Triangle out and pray nobody rams you up the rearend. Hazards also I know.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
had mine changed this year front on back /back on front advised still in decent condition,no crack or deteriation paint with a german tyre black twice a year, advised 7 yrs from new, only done 10.000

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
This is tread delamination, caused by overheating .. due to under inflation and or overloading.. used to be common on budget retreads ..
it's called tyre belt separation in the trade could be cased by bumping up curbs pot holes running over blunt objects under inflation and over loading to name but a few
bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it's called tyre belt separation in the trade could be cased by bumping up curbs pot holes running over blunt objects under inflation and over loading to name but a few
bill

served my apprenticeship in 'the trade' Bill at India Tyres.. .. but what's in a name .. the tread parts company with the casing..

bumping kerbs and or potholes doesn't generally cause delamination.. that will damage the side walls ..

for more reading , it's almost word for word what I wrote and I didn't copy paste
Understanding Tire Delamination

The most common cause for tire delamination is excessive heat. This is often due to under-inflation, or over-inflation and overloading, in particular, on hot road surfaces. Finally, the age of the tire is important. Tire manufacturers are now suggesting that a tire should be replaced after about five years regardless of wear.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The tyres in question were Michelin Agilis Camping, the photo fails to show the hole in the side wall, which in my opinion was the cause of the loss of air, together with the 300 metres it took to stop the 3,500kg of motorhome, you would expect some tyre breakdown. So the earlier post is correct, running on under inflated tyre can cause this type of damage.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
The tyres in question were Michelin Agilis Camping, the photo fails to show the hole in the side wall, which in my opinion was the cause of the loss of air, together with the 300 metres it took to stop the 3,500kg of motorhome, you would expect some tyre breakdown. So the earlier post is correct, running on under inflated tyre can cause this type of damage.
You should have taken a better photo :p

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
You made it ? Impressive .....my OCD Geeky side is coming out I recognised the tyre from tread pattern :xgrin:

For purpose of sharing data just found this ....leaning towards Coni four season ....ok its old ...heavily weighted to Coni's and no idea if independent

Link Removed

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Problem with Underside Stowage is access is near impossible once a Tyre is flat!. Especially if the Jacking point is over soft ground! I took to carrying a spare Tyre and not a full wheel. As I had no chance of changing it in situ but the recovery / tyre Fitters had a (correct) replacement tyre to work with!.

Pete

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Tyres and UV degradation all a bit of a quandary. In USA and Australia, both rather more UV than here not considered an issue to my knowledge.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Problem with Underside Stowage is access is near impossible once a Tyre is flat!. Especially if the Jacking point is over soft ground! I took to carrying a spare Tyre and not a full wheel. As I had no chance of changing it in situ but the recovery / tyre Fitters had a (correct) replacement tyre to work with!.

Pete
Carrying a spare in a spot where you could store other stuff is fine .......if you have a winnebago :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Pete

That's what we do. The hose reel fits inside the spare tyre :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Tyres and UV degradation all a bit of a quandary. In USA and Australia, both rather more UV than here not considered an issue to my knowledge.
ScotJim's info looks like it came from the US?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back